Author Topic: Fighting the lead and whining but not going potty  (Read 7930 times)

Southernish

• Weanling
    • Boxer-ific Blog
Fighting the lead and whining but not going potty
« on: November 30, 2012, 02:47:49 PM »
Loki is worse than Annabel on this ... But during the day I will take one outside and they will spend 4-5 minutes just fighting the leash and trying to get back inside or eating grass or playing like a fool (anything but going potty). Of course as soon as you bring them in they pee/poo on the floor.

Oddly enough they do this way more during the day than at night. I don't do anything differently during the day. Same cues, same leash, same going out the door routine. I try to stand still and not let them lead me on a merry chase through the yard. At night they both go out, do their business and come inside. During the day they fight me tooth and nail.

I'm getting rather tired of it ... But I can't figure out what else to try.

I am trying to not lose my patience and yell when they eliminate in the house and instead sop up the mess and take it, and them, outside. But when I get them outside they don't sniff the paper towel or feces. They just start with the fighting the leash and playing bit.

We also don't take them outside to play yet. I want them to think of outside as potty time for now.

I know that this will all be worth it, but my last dog didn't fight potty training this hard and I am at a loss. Ideas and suggestions are so very welcome!
Carole
Mama to Loki and Annabel Lee

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
Re: Fighting the lead and whining but not going potty
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 03:17:33 PM »
Are you taking them out one at a time or at the same time? You can try leaving a short leash on them so they get the feel of the leash.

Sir Duke

• Potty Trained
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 03:26:01 PM »
I would take the out separately.  Wait until the are older to do it together.  Even then it can be a challenge.

Spike barks at anything and I swear he barks on purpose just a Duke is starting to poop.   :wall:

Potty training can be hard.  Patience, lots and lots or patience.  They will get it. 

Not sure if you want to try it but have you thought of the piddle pads.  With them being so young, it might help.

Southernish

• Weanling
    • Boxer-ific Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
Thanks Sir Duke and 3Boxers!

They always go out separately.  I don't take them out at the same time.  The only time they've been out at the same time is when we came home from the vet and my daughter had one on one leash on one side of the driveway and I had the other on another leash on the other side of the driveway. 

The leashes we use are short, 6' leashes.  I think the pulling on the leash is (especially with Loki) because he wants to explore the whole yard (1/2 acre) to find the perfect 10 blades of grass upon which to eliminate.  Apparently just any blades of grass will not do.  They must be the right blades of grass and they must be in a completely different area of the yard that the two previous eliminations.  LOL

At night they're all business.  Go out, pee/poop, come inside, go in crate, go back to sleep.

During the day all they want to do is play.  I'm beginning to wonder if taking them outside for some play time, after they've gone potty and come back inside would help, or just make them want to play outside more?

With the piddle pads - does it confuse them to be trained to the pads and then to be re-trained to outdoors?
Carole
Mama to Loki and Annabel Lee

LOVEBUG

• Potty Trained
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 04:50:15 PM »
I think that's fantastic that they're all business at night, and getting the job done! :thumbsup: They will figure it out! Remember, they're still babies, with baby brains. ;)

When Porsha was very little we used a retractable leash. There was always tension on the leash, but it would give and take, so she wasn't fighting it the whole time. When we took her out on leash, to potty, we would just follow her around until she did her job. It wasn't long until she figured both things out! Have faith and patience. You can do it! :thumbsup:

Cindy: Mom to Porsha, & Tyson.
          Chowder 4/2000 - 9/7/2013