Author Topic: I think it's time  (Read 4215 times)

ltournat

• Officially Boxer Crazy
I think it's time
« on: September 26, 2014, 11:01:24 AM »
So I finally took Felix in to the vet yesterday...I've been avoiding it. I just wanted a vet to evaluate what stage they think his DM is in and how much longer they think he had.  Of course they confirmed my worst fears.

He's lost almost all muscle tone in his hind legs and almost complete loss of his back right leg fuction and has lost 8 lbs since his last visit in April.  He's to a point where he can barely walk without slipping and falling down. The vet said, if it were her dog, she would be making arrangements to put him down within the next couple of weeks.

:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

How do I even make this decision and say goodbye?  It seems unfathomable to go on without him.
________
~Lisa, mom to Felix~

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
Re: I think it's time
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 12:26:41 PM »
 :bigcry:  I'm so sorry you are at this point, it's such a heartbreaking decision. Quality of life is the only true factor, just remember that you aren't alone. We are always here to offer support or at least a shoulder to cry on. {{hugs}}

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 03:22:59 PM »
I'm so sorry, I know it's a very difficult decision. I've had to make that decision twice this year, it's never easy, but you have to look at their quality of life, that's the most important thing.  :'(
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 08:06:44 PM »
Oh geesh, Lisa. I'm so sorry. :( Felix has been with us for so long, seems like just yesterday we were all sharing the fun moments, laughing, learning and just having fun. That's the quality of life we wish will never end. It's a truly difficult decision to make, and I know you will find it in your heart to do what's best for your boy. Just keep thinking of all those fun times together. Felix will always have a special part of your heart. We are all here for you and to help remind you of the good times, whenever you need it.

Hugs.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 09:47:04 PM »
I'm so sorry, Lisa. Let him tell you...
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 09:52:46 PM »
Oh Lisa. I am so so sorry. My heart is breaking for you.
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

boxer pal

• Most Enthusiastic Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2014, 09:13:21 PM »
Is he still 'engaged' in life and what goes on around him?  Are you willing and able to give him assistance to walk and go potty?  Is his appetite still good?  (I know you said he's lost weight)  There are a LOT of things to consider and I know you will weigh each one carefully.  I'm not too crazy about a vet who would voice their opinion in such a way.  It's important you do what is best for YOUR family with Felix's best interest in mine.  Each family has a different threshold for when enough is enough.  I'm so sorry you are facing this already.  It sure doesn't seem like any of our pups should be aging and leaving us.  Hugs to you!
Sue Q.
Hogan b. 6/1/10 our brindle baby boy
Onyx b.5/1/07 my dark beauty
my heart, my love, my joy. Rudy b. 9/06 d.5/10 
my mahogany girl Romy b.11/03 d.2/10
Abe, our first & best. b.3/97 d.5/08

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 08:37:28 AM »
I am sorry to hear this . Any decision like this is hard , you will do what is right for your family .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

steph0808

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 10:56:29 AM »
I am so sorry, Lisa.

Everyone always said it, and I never believed until I experienced it, but you will know when it's time. Brody had been happy and playful even with lymphoma for several months, but one day he woke up and wouldn't eat and wouldn't play and the light had gone out of his eyes. It was an instantaneous change, just overnight, and I knew. I put it off until the next day, hoping he would turn around, but he didn't.

Whatever decision you make will be the right one.
Riley - 9/19/2008

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 09:38:04 AM »
Oh Lisa...my heart breaks for you...and Felix.  :bigcry:  I think this is the hardest decision we will ever have to make, no matter what you will always second guess your decision, I know I did with both my girls. I knew in my heart it was the right time for both of them, but my mind still said...what if...

Follow your heart, and let him tell you...are the bad days outweighing the good? How is his quality of life....

My heart is just breaking for you...hugs!!  :bigcry:
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

ltournat

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 10:28:40 AM »
His appetite is still normal, but he literally can barely even walk these days without falling.  He's got some sores on his back feet from constantly falling and dragging them.  It's becoming increasingly more difficult for him to even go to the bathroom and crouch down for #2.  I try helping him walk up the 3 stairs from our back yard and pick him up when he falls inside the house.  He just spends most of his days laying around.  He still does try to be involved with whatever we're doing and wants to be loved on.

If it makes sense though, I don't know if I really see it in his eyes yet that HE'S ready to go.  Or maybe I'm just not really seeing it.  But I see him every day - when other people come to my house, they almost start crying seeing him in the shape he's in.  My mom thinks it's time as well.

We have our family photos tomorrow that I'm having both dogs in.  I think after that, I'm going to really have to make a decision.  :bigcry:
________
~Lisa, mom to Felix~

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 04:13:49 PM »
I think that is the hardest...when their body is breaking down...but they are still mentally there. Please know that whatever decision you decide, will be the right one. He has had the best life possible and has known nothing but love. Hugs to you and to Felix. Please keep us posted.  :'(
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 10:07:08 PM »
I'm so sorry you're facing this...

A lot of people use boots to prevent scraping the tops of the feet, and Boxers seem to adapt well to carts. There are also ways you can create a sling with towels to support the back end.

When Jessica was going through this with I think Nedra, she said her vet told her to list ten things the dog loved to do, and when she could no longer do those things, it was time to let her go....
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 07:14:18 PM »
Lisa my heart is breaking tor you. :bigcry: he will let you know when he is ready. In the mean time just love on him and do what you can to make him happy.
Joyce

Eilene

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 02:24:07 PM »
 :bigcry: SO sorry to read this..Like the others have said you will know.It is a hard decision.
Eilene
Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber,Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila