Author Topic: At a loss of what to do....  (Read 1633 times)

bombersmama

• Vet Checked
At a loss of what to do....
« on: September 04, 2014, 08:20:49 PM »
well howdy strangers!!! it has been YEARS since I chatted with you all and hope you are all doing well!! would you believe that old man Bomber is still alive and kicking :) Fingers crossed he makes it to 10 yrs old this coming January!! The reason why i say that is because he has consistently been getting tumors (most in the same exact spots as previous removed ones) and I know for a FACT they are mct :( He has been back and forth in surgery for these tumors that after his last one we decided to not put him through it anymore. He wasn't bouncing back from surgeries like he used to and we were too afraid of losing him in surgery. We would much rather lose him when he is as much himself as possible. Last surgery we really thought we were going to lose him. I hope it doesnt seem cruel that we are letting his tumors go and a few have gotten quite large but we feel it is the best decision for us and how we want Bomber to feel. He is acting like his normal goofy self for the most part but just a bit lazier in because well his is a senior!! I am writing though about a growth on his eyelid that is getting quite large and starting to bother him. I don't know what to do. I don't want him to be uncomfortable but I also dont want to have to put him under anesthesia and then we lose him over the growth. I am also having issues with veterinarians as well. We moved back and forth from Arizona so much and now we are finally back in NC and had a falling out with our previous vet. i refuse to go back to them however we cant find any vets in this area accepting new patients. One of the worst things about living in a small town is we dont have many options :/ Should I let the eye growth go or should we chance surgery again :/ I am so conflicted. I am just heartbroken that my sweet baby Bomber gets tumors all the time but we can only keep up for so long especially since they keep consistently reoccurring....sigh...however I am VERY thankful he has been with us for so long and thankful he is still acting healthy and happy!

OMG Look at that salt and pepper mug :smitten:
~*Shana*~

Proud Mama to:
Fur Kid:  Bomber, 1-10-2005
Skin Kid:  Landon John, 2-1-2009

bombersmama

• Vet Checked
Re: At a loss of what to do....
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 08:25:16 PM »
also if at any point i start not making any sense or going off on a tangent please bare with me! I am detoxing of an anti depressant and it has been making forgetful and a bit spaced out. I have an unpleasant brain fog :( very very bad withdrawal side effects for me:wall: Just ask me to clarify if at any point if i sound confusing or make any unintelligible typos and what not  :dizzy2:
~*Shana*~

Proud Mama to:
Fur Kid:  Bomber, 1-10-2005
Skin Kid:  Landon John, 2-1-2009

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 08:07:17 PM »
You may want to contact this breeder, she's put together a protocol that is supposed to help shrink tumors.  I've been told she's very friendly and supportive:

http://www.bavariasboxers.com/cancer.htm

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time with vets - a good one can be so hard to find!!  But I'm glad to hear that Bomber is doing well, all things considered.   :yes:
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 02:51:51 PM »
Good vets seem to be in short supply quite often unfortunately. Quality of life is more important than whether or not you have tumors removed. If having surgery is becoming a health concern then it's a matter of weighing the balance between the potential harm of leaving the tumor alone or the risk of surgery.
If he's happy and the tumors aren't bothering him in anyway then I would say let them be since he isn't recovering from surgery very well. The growth by his eye though looks like it might be a bit bothersome based on the discharge.
Is there a decent vet that will accept new patients within a reasonable driving distance? It might be nice to get a vet's opinion on the tumor by his eye. It's not easy seeing our fur babies get older and have problems.

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 10:57:29 AM »
It's so hard to find a good vet. If you can find a vet that uses a laser for tumor removal, it doesn't require as much sedation and it should be able to take care of the mass on his eye. You may also be able to talk to the vet about a different anesthesia protocol, I did a dental on my walker hound at 16 because he desperately needed it, my vet modified his protocol and Boomer bounced back very quickly and better than he had before.
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Eilene

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 12:33:45 PM »
I would find a vet (Even if i had to drive a distance  ) to remove the growth on his eye.

I also stopped removing MCT on bailey for the same reason..
Eilene
Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber,Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila