Author Topic: It's official- Back to school for Laila!  (Read 4113 times)

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
It's official- Back to school for Laila!
« on: August 31, 2014, 02:19:24 AM »
Laila will be 9 in October and she is going back to obedience school! Scott and I were in town yesterday and we signed her up and paid for it... she's doing an 8 week class starting Sept. 11. I will walk her in on day one, but Eirika will be in charge of handling her after that, I'll just be there for support.
The guy at the counter had asked us if she had ever had training (because they have a pre-basic obedience class) and I told him that yes, she has gone through training. She even has her CGC. However it's been a long time and there have been some negative experiences in between. So he asks her age and I said 9. He says "wow, she got her CGC before a year old?"  :smash:  I then specified 9 years.     So he then asked if we wanted to do an advanced class. So I explained to him about Eirika wanting to show her in 4-H and we want to be sure that she can handle Laila and that Laila is willing to work well in a group of other dogs before sending them into the 4-H dog project. That and I don't want to buy the project books if she's not going to do it for sure.
I spent $30 on big horse project books last Oct. and she ended up not doing big horse. Granted if she decides to do big horse at some time we have them, but still I don't want to spend the money if we don't need to.

I will take pictures (if the trainer is ok with it) when she starts class. I am just as excited as Eirika!

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: It's official- Back to school for Laila!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 09:22:58 AM »
What fun! I look forward to hearing about it. 
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 08:00:04 PM »
Hopefully it'll be a good experience for both of them!
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 07:35:54 PM »
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

Eilene

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 04:38:08 PM »
Let us know how training goes
Eilene
Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber,Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 12:28:53 AM »
Laila and Eirika both did great tonight. Small group (6) which is perfect, all are high energy dogs- labs and border collie mixes. Laila of course is the senior of the group, one gal whispers "she's nine? and you waited this long to train her?"   ::)   Two dogs tried to go at each other... but Laila just stood there in front of Eirika and I. Although she was so tense she felt like stone, I think had either Eirika or I moved she might have tried to leap into it. But she was a good girl all night. She did get a bit bored while the trainer was talking about the things that we will be going over. A bored Laila is a distraction to everyone. First she backed up and tried to pull out of her collar (I tightened it because I know that she pulls this stunt from time to time), then she tried to chew the leash. So I made her sit in front of me. Then she gets up and does the whole super adorable slapping at me with her front paw. I tell her to quit, that's when she decided she needed to jump into my lap. I push her back down and tell her to sit. So then she looks at Eirika and whines. Eirika says "come here baby girl" so Laila jumps up on her.  :smash: 
They went over "watch me" and "sit".  Eirika did good working with her. Laila has long mastered sit, mostly because that is a daily thing in order for her to get treats and such. The watch me a was a little more challenging, I think Laila would have liked to walk around and sample what kind of treats other people brought. After class Eirika asked the instructor if she could work on down (that is one of next week's topics) a little this week since Laila already knows down (both verbally and with hand signal). So she told Eirika yes and gave her some pointers. 

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 10:50:51 AM »
It sounds like overall the class went well  :) I hope it continues!
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 09:39:04 PM »
Boxers do love to entertain in a crowd, don't they? Delta kept offering sit pretty when the instructor was talking in one of our early obedience classes.

Glad to hear that things went well and they've got a head start!  :thumbsup:
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12