Author Topic: Delta could use some vibes - high liver enzymes  (Read 1860 times)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Delta could use some vibes - high liver enzymes
« on: August 17, 2014, 04:38:12 PM »
I really stuck my foot in my mouth - brought Delta in for a bloodwork recheck and told the receptionist that she wasn't expensive like my first 3...

Three weeks ago we did her pre-spay blood work and her ALT liver enzyme came back "high".  My vet didn't tell me the level at the time, but it was about 1,000 - 10x higher than the upper limit of normal. Delta had just hurt a rear leg playing outside (we didn't see it happen, so not sure exactly what it was) so the vet thought it might be trauma from banging into something. We scheduled the recheck for last week because enzymes from trauma would have filtered out of the system by now.

We did the recheck and not only did it not get lower - it went up by 50%!! Her ALT is now at 1522. So she went BACK in for another blood draw. This time we're testing her liver function (bile acid test) and testing for Leptospirosis. Results should be in on Monday, some Lepto info may come in on Tuesday. If it is Lepto, her spay on Wednesday gets postponed until she's healthy. If it isn't Lepto, we may do a liver biopsy while she's under for the spay.

Given her levels, the chance that it is "nothing" is pretty slim.  The chance that it is "nothing serious" feels like it is shrinking, but I'm still hoping for that. If it is Lepto, she and Dash will both have to be medicated and basically on house arrest because they can spread it through their pee. Which would suck because they BOTH have shows coming up - BH for Delta, UKC Weight Pull for Dash. Still, I'm not sure any of the options would be any "better."
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Delta could use some vibes - high liver enzymes
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 11:17:54 AM »
Any update Julia?

Fingers crossed it's nothing serious and works itself out.  :fingerscrossed:  Please keep us posted!
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Eilene

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 03:26:17 PM »
 :fingerscrossed: Hope it is nothing to worry about
Eilene
Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber,Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

LOVEBUG

• Potty Trained
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 03:39:15 PM »

:vibes:  Here come the vibes!!  :vibes:

Hope you get this figured out soon!!  :fingerscrossed:

Cindy: Mom to Porsha, & Tyson.
          Chowder 4/2000 - 9/7/2013

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 10:02:28 PM »
Good news! The bile acid test came back - her liver function is totally fine! WHEW! So that eliminates most of the scary options and makes the few remaining scary options pretty unlikely.

It is most likely infection or autoimmune at this point. The Lepto hasn't come back yet, so it that is still a (hugely sucky) possibility. I suspect infection over autoimmune because we started her on Amoxicillin on Friday and she seems to be feeling better. Today she was a little nut when I got home and spent some time face fighting with Aaron (yes, you read that right, my husband was face fighting. No, there are not pictures.) and she's been playful off and on all night.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 11:06:48 PM »
I'm glad the bile acid test came back normal. When my mutt Jasmine had very high liver numbers when she was young, we put her on Denamarin for a couple months and then rechecked the numbers, they came down. It's basically a liver support supplement. The liver is amazing and can repair itself. Hopefully the lepto will be negative  :fingerscrossed:
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 01:44:34 PM »
Lepto was negative and her bounce seems to be fully restored! Unfortunately glut her, she is going to lose it again, but at least this time we know why - she's getting spayed today. They are taking a liver biopsy while they are in there, but not sending it out right away since it appears to be an infection. So we'll have a way to do further tests without another surgery, IF her enzymes don't come down after the meds.

The woman who owns her sister mentioned some liver support products, I may look into that. (Sister Brice isn't having issues, Mary just knows a lot about support/supplements.)
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 11:02:40 PM »
Hopefully the meds take care of it and it's nothing serious. Good vibes for her spay and recovery  :sunny:

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 03:42:39 PM »
Sending lots of vibes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mom to: