Author Topic: Random resource guarding  (Read 9477 times)

TLC Mom

• Most Involved with Boxer Rescue - 2009
  • Socialized
  • Try to get it out of my mouth, I dare ya!!
    • Almost Home Az Boxer Rescue
Re:
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 02:49:59 AM »
I'm sorry Keri that your having to make this decision. As an involved member of a rescue org. the rescue should be making the decision especially if foster family is unsure and their own trainer says its what should be done. I can't imagine working with a foster for that long and having it end this way. Keri know that u and your family gave Piper a wonderful loved filled year.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Vicki ~ Mom to Lucy/Chloe/Pippen/Tillman
Forever ♥: Taylor - 2/93-3/09
                  Porter - 11/09-5/13

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Random resource guarding
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 08:26:04 AM »
I'm sorry Keri that your having to make this decision. As an involved member of a rescue org. the rescue should be making the decision especially if foster family is unsure and their own trainer says its what should be done. I can't imagine working with a foster for that long and having it end this way. Keri know that u and your family gave Piper a wonderful loved filled year.

I have to agree with this. They shouldn't be putting this souly on you...

If you do decide to have her put to sleep, I agree...you should be there since she loves you and you love her. I wouldn't want her to be alone or with strangers.  :'(
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2014, 10:29:38 AM »
People may think me harsh for saying this but I think she should be put to sleep. I honestly think that this would be the kindest thing for her. Not every dog can and should be saved.

I think that having a dog like this in a family with young kids is just a disaster waiting to happen.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2014, 12:13:27 PM »
I am questioning the validity of the rescue at this point. I understand not euthanizing dog aggressive dogs, but to put a dog that is aggressive towards people into a home with small children is absolutely insane. They should be screening these dogs prior to putting them into a foster home, especially one with children. For them to be putting this decision entirely on you is completely wrong. As a rescue organization, this dog is their responsibility. She is a danger to you and your family. I realize you and your children love her, but you also said that one of your children is afraid of her. Is it worth it to have a child in love with a dog for another to live in fear?

I think you have gone above and beyond trying to save this dog, there comes a point when you realize that not every dog can be saved. I have worked with rescue dogs, I've been bitten on numerous occasions by fearful dogs, and some by aggressive dogs. What you are describing is not fear, it is aggression towards people and it is not improving.  Her past has scarred her, unfortunately there are bad people out there that destroy good dogs. This is not as easy decision to make for anyone, but unfortunately, it does have to be made for some dogs that have been improperly handled before getting to good people.
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

odeya

• Best Avatar & Best Show-Off Photos - 2008; Most Optimistic Member - 2009
  • Socialized
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2014, 05:28:30 PM »
I'm sorry Keri that your having to make this decision. As an involved member of a rescue org. the rescue should be making the decision especially if foster family is unsure and their own trainer says its what should be done.

I have to agree with this. They shouldn't be putting this souly on you...

I am questioning the validity of the rescue at this point. I understand not euthanizing dog aggressive dogs, but to put a dog that is aggressive towards people into a home with small children is absolutely insane. They should be screening these dogs prior to putting them into a foster home, especially one with children. For them to be putting this decision entirely on you is completely wrong. As a rescue organization, this dog is their responsibility. She is a danger to you and your family. I realize you and your children love her, but you also said that one of your children is afraid of her. Is it worth it to have a child in love with a dog for another to live in fear?

I think you have gone above and beyond trying to save this dog, there comes a point when you realize that not every dog can be saved. I have worked with rescue dogs, I've been bitten on numerous occasions by fearful dogs, and some by aggressive dogs. What you are describing is not fear, it is aggression towards people and it is not improving.  Her past has scarred her, unfortunately there are bad people out there that destroy good dogs. This is not as easy decision to make for anyone, but unfortunately, it does have to be made for some dogs that have been improperly handled before getting to good people.

First, I must point out that we are one of the few foster homes within this rescue who is allowed to personally choose a dog from a shelter. I specifically asked to be allowed to choose. I am allowed to because I am more knowledgeable about dogs than the average dog owner and I do not give up on dogs easily so the rescue knows I won't just give up and give the dog back 2 weeks after I take one in. Usually the rescue does pull the dogs then places them within foster homes...I hate to see their validity questioned! I chose Piper myself after looking through many, many shelters specifically for a pit bull type dog. I choose pit types because they are the most at risk in shelters and there are sooo many of them. 

I also did not mean to imply that the rescue is not helping me. I do think that the decision to put her to sleep has been put off for too long, but part of it is that they trust my judgement and aren't going to force me to make a decision. I do wish they would say that this is their dog and she must be euthanized because that would make it easier on me, and maybe that is their responsibility, but that's not likely to happen. This is a newer rescue and I think they are learning as they go too. They have made the decision to euthanize other dogs with behavioral issues that have come into their rescue so they are not people who don't deal with issues or pass them on to someone else. I was given the option of "exchanging" Piper for another foster...I think it was at the beginning of this year, but I did not feel that she would get the attention or training that she needed there. And, like I said earlier, if she has to be euthanized I have to be there with her.

When she is guarding something (truly a typical dog behavior), yes, she is being aggressive and it works to get people to back off, but overall she lacks confidence and is a very anxious dog. When she finds herself in a "fight or flight" situation she almost always chooses "fight" but that does not make her aggressive in general imo. That's just how she deals with life with her lack of confidence.

I also don't want anyone to think I am keeping her while she is terrorizing one of my children. This child is 13 and as big as I am, not a terrified toddler. He is afraid of her (she has actually never guarded anything from him), but this is not just because of her. He's had several incidents with other dogs lately...a neighbor's very old dog who almost bit him, a rescue that we were photographing that got loose and almost bit him in the face even though he was just walking by (not with our rescue and the dog was euthanized), and because he almost got in the middle of a fight between Jack and another foster of ours. So he is very leary of dogs in general right now. I think he's seen how fast things can happen with dogs, and their power, and he has lost some confidence around them. I'm hoping that changes over time as he was always my biggest dog lover.
Jack & Freya

boxer pal

• Most Enthusiastic Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 08:52:34 AM »
My heart goes out to you on this one for sure, Kerri.  It is heartbreaking to think that you've spent a year trying to salvage this dog and seeing huge progress in so many ways, but not enough to make her an adoptable one.  But as others have pointed out, you have given a huge effort and you need to focus on that.  That you gave this dog the chance no one else could  or would have.  I think the trauma of letting her go will be far less than the trauma your family would endure if she did bite someone or even kill another dog. 
Sue Q.
Hogan b. 6/1/10 our brindle baby boy
Onyx b.5/1/07 my dark beauty
my heart, my love, my joy. Rudy b. 9/06 d.5/10 
my mahogany girl Romy b.11/03 d.2/10
Abe, our first & best. b.3/97 d.5/08

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 09:39:20 AM »
Have you looked into giving her to a sanctuary? I personally dont think I could put her down when she has not physically bitten anyone yet. I get the danger and the possibility, especially with children involved. I want there to be another option for her :(  

I came across this site. Maybe there is something available through that venue?  http://www.worldanimal.net/directory/search-wan-directory/results?country=227&fanda=0

Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2014, 09:51:46 AM »
Here's another place. She doesn't accept dog-aggressive dogs but says she will help. Maybe she knows of someone who will take her? http://www.savethatdog.org/
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

odeya

• Best Avatar & Best Show-Off Photos - 2008; Most Optimistic Member - 2009
  • Socialized
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2014, 02:29:06 PM »
Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and opinions on this. I really appreciate each one!

When our trainer mentioned euthanasia she also talked about getting Piper in to see a behaviorist. The cost was more than I wanted to pay and the rescue really can't take on that bill right now, so it would have been up to me. Our trainer knows of a local group who is just starting out and their goal is to help fund training for rescue dogs. She presented them with Piper's case last week. I didn't really expect help but we heard from them today and they are going to pay for the entire fee. It's kind of amazing how many people have pitched in to help this dog. When we pulled her two different advocacy groups paid for all of her vetting, pull fees, and spay. And now this. There are a lot of good people out there in the dog world  :smitten:. Anyway, I am going to keep her on lock down until we can get to this appt. Even if it doesn't ultimately help her at least I will know without a doubt that I have done everything possible, and hopefully if she has to be put to sleep it will be a little easier.
Jack & Freya

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2014, 02:52:15 PM »
I will be keeping everything  :fingerscrossed: that this works out.  It does seem like a sign that somebody is really trying to help this dog.  Good luck and keep up updated. 
Joyce

TLC Mom

• Most Involved with Boxer Rescue - 2009
  • Socialized
  • Try to get it out of my mouth, I dare ya!!
    • Almost Home Az Boxer Rescue
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2014, 02:56:03 PM »
That's awesome Kerri. I hope things workout.
Vicki ~ Mom to Lucy/Chloe/Pippen/Tillman
Forever ♥: Taylor - 2/93-3/09
                  Porter - 11/09-5/13

boxer pal

• Most Enthusiastic Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2014, 03:20:46 PM »
That is hopeful news for sure!  Just to add a bit more info for you to store away . . . and I do know every dog is a different case . . . my sons dog, Cowboy was pulled from a shelter and into the women's prison program in Lockhart, Tx, when it was deemed he was unadoptable. He had been there so long he was getting what they called, kennel crazy.  He spent around 2 years in the prison program being rehabilitated and trained.  He was considered adoptable, but they all knew he would always require a family who was willing to meet the challenges of a dog like him.  Nate and Steph have managed him extremely well, but it has come with sacrifices and drawbacks.  He very rarely initiates a fight but he does misread other dogs signals and a horrible fight will commence.  He has always been fine with small dogs.  Go figure!  He has a very high prey drive (probably from living on the streets) so he can't be around cats at all and on walks you have to know how to distract him and keep him in control or you'll get dragged into the bushes after anything that moves!  The only leash that works with him is a semi harness type thing that goes around one front leg and chest.  The leash hooks on at that leg and in essence, allows you to pull him off balance should he start to get out of hand.  The kids never have issues with him, but this gives his sitters or anyone not as familiar with him an advantage.  They love him dearly but he definately has baggage.  If they hadn't adopted him with a huge amount of commitment in their hearts, Cowboy would have been euthanized a long time ago. They also know they will never knowingly adopt another dog with these kinds of issues.  They were that one in a million family he needed and we all know those kinds of families are few and far between.  I will hope with all my heart you can find a way to help Piper, but always know it may never be enough.
Sue Q.
Hogan b. 6/1/10 our brindle baby boy
Onyx b.5/1/07 my dark beauty
my heart, my love, my joy. Rudy b. 9/06 d.5/10 
my mahogany girl Romy b.11/03 d.2/10
Abe, our first & best. b.3/97 d.5/08

LOVEBUG

• Potty Trained
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2014, 06:41:45 PM »
That's awesome Kerri. I hope things workout.

:fingerscrossed:

Cindy: Mom to Porsha, & Tyson.
          Chowder 4/2000 - 9/7/2013

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2014, 07:15:17 PM »
I hope that the behaviorist will be able to help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2014, 09:26:05 PM »
Glad to hear you've got funding for the behaviorist!  :fingerscrossed: you're able to get somewhere significant.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12