Author Topic: Laila as a show dog?  (Read 1826 times)

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
Laila as a show dog?
« on: June 16, 2014, 01:43:16 PM »
Eirika has been wanting to do dog in 4-H for two years now. As of last fall I was considering letting her use Vik in the coming year, for obedience only. But then he had those seizures and the progressive coordination issues so Eirika understands that he just won't be able to do any of it. We had been thinking of getting another boxer this next year, but with Viktor's health issues I think having a rambunctious puppy would be too much for him. So that leaves Laila. We had scratched Laila from the list of possibilities before because she is reactive and prone to being aggressive with adult med/large dogs that don't instantly accept that she is queen of the world  ::) and even though she knows obedience and when she was younger did very well with agility, she tends to only do things when it suits her.

However, in the past couple of years Laila has really mellowed (temperament wise not in any of her bouncy energetic ways). All of her new dog interactions over the past year have been mild and even resulted in friendly (although rough) play. Of course all of her interactions with puppies/young dogs have been good since she adores anything that is a 'baby' as usual. Eirika is old enough now to be able to read her body language well and quickly. So end of summer after fair (end of July or in August) we are thinking of signing Eirika and Laila up for a group obedience class in Billings to determine whether or not I let Eirika do a dog project with Laila.

There is a trainer in town that I really like who has shown competitively in obedience, rally and agility for quite a few years and has extensive dog experience. She is also one of the few trainers in our area that doesn't look down her nose at boxers. There are a couple that won't even accept a boxer into their classes because they are "distractedly obnoxious dogs with no talent for obedience" obviously this shows just how ignorant and moronic a lot of people are in our area. When we had our Savanna girl I had taken her through a couple of this trainers classes including agility and when Laila was younger I had taken her through her agility class. And believe it or not Laila was good enough at one time that she passed her CGC without any flaws.

So I am going to talk to the trainer in advance and tell her about Laila so we can find that right group class for her. I told Eirika that although I will be there, she will be handling Laila and will have to do the work. I also told her that if she can prove to me that she can safely handle and control Laila and if Laila is willing to control herself that she can sign up for dog when the new 4-H year begins (October).

Eirika wants to do obedience, showmanship (which is required in any animal project), agility and possibly rally. I told her that Laila would be able to do the first couple levels of agility but I won't let her go higher than that because of the arthritis in her toes. Everything else would be fine. The county's 4-H dog club is very active and they do training year-round, so that would be good.

I am hoping that Laila and Eirika will do well with the obedience class, I think it would be a lot of fun for them both. A great outlet for Laila's energy since Vik hasn't been as interested in running and wrestling as he used to be. All of the dogs that were shown in fair last year were border collies, border collie mixes, a couple of labs and weimeriners and a german shepherd. So there will be tough competition especially considering most of the kids have been doing this for a few years already.

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Re: Laila as a show dog?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 11:34:20 PM »
That's awesome! I started young with an obedience club with my wild GSD, at the encouragement of my mom who used to do 4-H with her collies when she was young. I'm sure no matter what, Erika and Laila will enjoy themselves and that's all that matters. Lots of luck and hope to hear all about their growth and experience.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 01:13:16 AM »
Will definitely keep you guys updated. Eirika has put so much work and time into her mini horse the past three years (July 15th is her show day this year) as well as keeping up with schoolwork, chores and the extra animal chores this winter while I'd been recovering from back surgery that I have no doubt she will put the work into it and having fun is always on our agenda  ;) 

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 09:16:59 AM »
It sounds like a great idea for the two of them! I hope it all works out and they do well together.

I hate the  attitudetitude that some trainers, and people in general have towards boxers. They just can't accept that my dog is probably smarter than they are and has the capability to think for himself. 
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 07:39:42 PM »
No trainer that is worth it, will have a problem with boxers. A good trainer will accept the challenge of any breed. And all trainers should realize that there is really no challenge in training a boxer....they are not as easy as some breeds, but invite them to come to Boxer Nationals and see that boxers can do just about anything that YOU put your mind to. I really don't consider my dogs a challenge. Do we have challenges? Oh yep, youbetcha! But, there's nothing I can't overcome if I just think outside the box. And often times, people who train boxers, are far better trainers for it because they make YOU think. :thumbsup:
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12