Author Topic: Boxers and the heat  (Read 1611 times)

Christina

• Socialized
Boxers and the heat
« on: May 23, 2014, 07:02:33 PM »
It's gone straight from winter to summer in AL, and Star seems to be having a tough time with the heat. I have a doggie door that goes into a fenced backyard, so they have free access to go in and out all day. Star and Penelope choose to spend most of the day outside, only coming inside when I get home, this is from what I can tell, they run outside when I leave and they're at the gate when I get home. I have a kiddie pool out there and Star will get in it, but is there anything else I can do to help him cool off? He loves being outside barking and running around the yard, so I would hate to take access away.
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

LOVEBUG

• Potty Trained
Re: Boxers and the heat
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 10:18:51 PM »
How about making him a giant ice cube that he can lick on. I like to freeze water in an ice cream pail, and then unmold it into their water dish. :)

Cindy: Mom to Porsha, & Tyson.
          Chowder 4/2000 - 9/7/2013

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 10:32:58 AM »
Weren't you worried a lil while ago about Star jumping off a deck or something? Thought he was hurt/limping recently - I'd be concerned about free access all of the time if he's been prone to injury. But, I know that mine love being outside. Bauer could just sit outside all day long. We don't do doggie doors here, but I swear, I let that boy out every 15 mins, lol! Drives me crazy!! haha

I don't think there is much you can do other than making sure they have plenty of shade and lots of fresh water. A kiddie pool is great, but I'd make sure there are buckets of fresh water in the shade that they also have access to.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 12:19:59 PM »
Weren't you worried a lil while ago about Star jumping off a deck or something? Thought he was hurt/limping recently - I'd be concerned about free access all of the time if he's been prone to injury

I still am concerned he is going to hurt himself in some way, but he's always going to be a village idiot. He spends most of the day by the gate in the shade or in the kiddie pool. When he's locked in the house he'll also jump onto high surfaces, which isn't good for him either. He's doing really well on the metacam and hasn't had anymore issues with his back. I know his spine is fused and he has really bad arthritis in most of his joints, I just want him to be happy, I'd rather him have a good year or two than him be miserable for a long time. When the back door is closed he'll also smack into it trying to go outside  :mad:  I may try a giant ice cube in his pool and see what he does.
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14