Author Topic: Barking and Jealously  (Read 1986 times)

Cassies Mom

• Socialized
Barking and Jealously
« on: May 05, 2014, 09:51:51 AM »
We have had Duke for about 6 weeks now.  He is a very jealous puppy and barks if you, or even Cassie, won't play with him or if you are petting another dog, or giving my skin son a hug he barks and barks until you give him attention.  It doesn't matter if you had just been playing or snuggling with him.   The second he sees you with someone else he barks for attention or nips at you.   Cassie has snarled and given him warnings, he backs off for a second and goes right back at it.   

We got him when he was 8 weeks and one day old.  Not sure when his litter mates left.  I have tried redirection, giving him the attention and ignoring him.   My husband wants to get him a bark collar to stop it.  I don't.   

Is there anything I can do to correct the barking and jealous behavior?

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Barking and Jealously
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 03:25:38 PM »
How old is he now? Has he been in obedience classes yet? George is an barker too...he barks if you ignore him, barks if you have something he wants...we try to ignore him but it just makes him worse.

Do you have a crate for him?
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Cassies Mom

• Socialized
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 07:01:18 PM »
He is four months old.  Our crates are packed in storage back in Canada.   Also we have done obedience classes until we find out if we can obtain a work visa to stay here or if we have to head back next home next month.  Starting to think a few private lessons might be necessary

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 09:02:57 AM »
You have to be consistant with whatever method you use . He will eventually get it you just have to keep at it .

With his littermates that is how he communicated , he waned attention or to play and he barked to get it.
It will take time for him to learn a new behavior to ask for attention . Choose something you want him to do (ex. sit or down )  and each time he barks for attention have him do the other thing , when he does give him a treat . He will eventually learn that to get you attention he comes to you and sits ( or downs - whatever you choose).

A bark collar will not solve the problem , he will soon learn to not bark with the collar on and only when it is off .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .