Author Topic: Dash, the weight pull dog!  (Read 2712 times)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Dash, the weight pull dog!
« on: March 16, 2014, 03:44:25 PM »
My beloved problem dog got to have some appropriate fun this weekend at the local UKC club's weight pull. We had gone once before and he'd pulled 305 like it was nothing, so we started him at that weight this time. The weight increments went up by 3 blocks (105lbs) and I was SO impressed that my boy actually managed a 830lb pull in about 30 seconds and most of the time was him figuring out he needed to dig in to get anywhere.  :thumbsup:  That was nearly 14x his body weight! Pretty good for a dog who doesn't do it regularly and who's been cooped up by our horrid winter weather.   :cool:

Oh and in true clownish Boxer fashion, the first time he tried to pull and felt some real resistance (I think on the 515 pull?), rather than get upset, he turned around, hopped on the cart and starting sniffing the blocks.  :laugh4:

This wasn't the heaviest pull (If I'm counting correctly) but you can see that's a big load of blocks on the cart. It took him a little while to get going once the cart was heavy enough that he couldn't move it easily, so I had to figure out how to do some handling to help him understand. Here I was trying to get him to put his head down to help him get leverage.

Not a great shot, but I just love how he looks. He is interested and willing to work. He was a little wild when we were getting him hooked up to the cart, but when I asked him if he was "ready to work", he would really focus on me.

And a couple more, in no particular order:

I see him do that and I get excited and think I might actually need to buy a harness and train him up. Afterall, they only have to pull 8x their weight for the first level title and that wasn't very hard for him. But then I remember that I am involved in dog training (either teaching or learning) at least three days a week and rarely have enough energy left over to clean my house or do any other "normal" upkeep/weekend stuff... So we'll see. It would take some training to help get him used to the process of on deck, in the hole, and in the chute plus wean him off food for the right level of weight. Unfortunately, their classes are currently on the same nights I teach for my club.

PS: It is a good thing I don't have a complex about my butt, because that's what you see in almost EVERY shot they took!!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

LOVEBUG

• Potty Trained
Re: Dash, the weight pull dog!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 04:43:29 PM »
Awesome, totally awesome!! :thumbsup:

Cindy: Mom to Porsha, & Tyson.
          Chowder 4/2000 - 9/7/2013

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 04:16:05 AM »
That's awesome!  :thumbsup:   
I think Laila would have enjoyed something like that, she used to pull the kids in the sled up until a couple years ago when she started have the problems with arthritis in her toes ::)

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 05:37:52 PM »
That is so cool :thumbsup:  He looks like he is really having a blast.  Don't you with there were more hours in the days.  I can't get everything done I need to either.  I do let cleaning house go last on the list, hey it's only me and Madison and she says if we are doing something together a few dustbunnies doesn't bother her. :mad:
Joyce