Author Topic: Delta's Protection Training  (Read 3704 times)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Delta's Protection Training
« on: February 06, 2014, 09:31:42 PM »
So it looks like I might not have ever come here to update people on my foray into Schutzhund (which is now called IPO).  We actually ended up joining a different local group, a club that is just starting to form.  I like their TD more and they had a larger focus on Obedience, which I appreciated.  My major interest was always doing some training to compliment my AKC work.  I spent the summer doing lots of Obedience and Tracking work.  You can read about the tracking work on my blog.

I've tried to get pics and video of obedience, but they never turned out. I've had the chance to work with two world-level competitors who come up once a month or so as guest trainers - Frank Phillips and Claudia Romard. They are really great and have a good sense for dogs. They aren't what I think of as stereotypical IPO trainers - No Machismo overdose. Frank can be gruff, but is also very sweet with the dogs (I want to giggle when he calls them "pumpkin"). Claudia is a hoot and has a great sense for how to make things very clear for the dogs. Both use clickers for some of their exercises (which certainly doesn't fit with the IPO stereotype I had in my head!)

Recently, I've been able to get to protection training more than obedience training because of my work schedule and the lack of daylight. It is really fun to watch Delta play the "bitey game".  She LOVES it and starts barking as soon as we walk into a room with bitework gear.  This video is from the beginning of this year. I had strained a muscle skiing so a club member was handling Delta for me, you can see around :50 that he's not used to handling a little pocket rocket (he has a fairly calm Dobe). I'm seeing Frank again this weekend and I'm sure he'll appreciate that I'm handling my own dog again  ;D

http://youtu.be/Ue2uGw_tXDg

And here are some photos from tonight with our club helper (also named Frank, oddly enough). She's starting to learn the "hold and bark" where they sit at the blind and bark until the handler signals them to bite.

Come on big guy! (the jump is there to help her learn to stay back)

I KILL IT!

Mine!

(I'm about to pull my old camera out of retirement for action shots - the new camera SUCKS at fast motion indoors, even with good lighting)
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Re: Delta's Protection Training
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 07:34:02 PM »
Sucha lil pistol! Wish we could find a good IPO training network here. The closest one is very shady.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 10:20:23 PM »
She's quite the little pistol!
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

aquagirl900

• Socialized
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 01:22:57 PM »
How does this training work?  I've been interested in protection training but worry that it will cause them to be more aggressive than not being trained?  How does she know who to bite/lunge for an who not to bite?  Did he do something that made him the target vs the handler who she ignores?

LOVEBUG

• Potty Trained
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 02:50:54 PM »
How does this training work?  I've been interested in protection training but worry that it will cause them to be more aggressive than not being trained?  How does she know who to bite/lunge for an who not to bite?  Did he do something that made him the target vs the handler who she ignores?

I have been wondering the same thing! I love watching her work! :thumbsup:

Cindy: Mom to Porsha, & Tyson.
          Chowder 4/2000 - 9/7/2013

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 09:08:02 PM »
This form of protection is very much a game, it wouldn't translate into protecting you in a real life situation. Delta knows that leather rags, wedges, and sleeves are biting toys (well, she isn't far enough to be on sleeve yet, but she's seen them enough to make the association I think). She knows the guy in the overalls who teases her is the "bad guy". She isn't more aggressive in general and when she sees the same guy without gear or overalls, she's her normal wiggly sweet self. I call it the Bitey Game because she is definitely playing.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12