Author Topic: Desperately seeking new food  (Read 2030 times)

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
Desperately seeking new food
« on: November 23, 2013, 07:10:24 PM »
This year Beas has been having a terrible time with allergies. We changed his food to natural balance LID to help with his IBD and he was okay for a month or so. It might be an environmental allergy because we've changed the protein source and even the carb source but I want to see what everyone else feeds.

The poor guy is miserable. He's coned most of the day, while we're at work, he's on temaril and still his ears are scratched raw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Re: Desperately seeking new food
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 08:52:17 PM »
Gosh! Poor Beas! Have you narrowed down the source at all? We feed raw now, but had tried Earthborn...which was a good food other than they wouldn't touch it. lol I liked the ingredients though. Before that, they were on Acana and it's probably the best out there. What other foods have you tried?

Bauer was having bad gut issues, on top of yeast between the paws. Come to find out, I believe it's the chicken and even some of the "salmon" foods, have chicken in it. Crazy, huh? He can tolerate raw chicken, but in kibble...not so much. He's not a fan of the chicken, even in raw, but doesn't give him near the issues it did in kibble and his yeast is gone. May want to check and see if chicken is something in all of the foods you feed. Never had a dog with chicken issues before.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 09:00:31 AM »
 This year has been horrible for Lucky too. I have had to put a shirt on him just to stop him from tearing  up his armpit.  His ears are raw,  and he just won't stop scratching. 
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 07:01:12 PM »
Madison doesn't have any food issues. She eats TOTW Pacific Stream.
Joyce

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 11:31:32 AM »
Skye and the puppy are on ACANA Pacifica, and Trigger and Leia are on FROMM Beef Frittata. I am not feeding raw right now because I don't have freezer space......but I do rotate through several kibbles and have had good success with ACANA, Wellness Core, Merrick and FROMM. All grain free.

Have you considered trying raw to see if that helps - or maybe even a dehydrated raw like Honest Kitchen? Or even home cooking? It would be interesting to see if any of these could make a difference.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 11:36:51 AM by RocketBoxer »
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 01:57:04 PM »
I haven't tried raw or homecoming. At this point I really don't have the time or freezer space to do it. I looked into frozen raw from our pet store and it was way too expensive to consider.

The thing is I don't know if it's the food or if it's something environmental. Our vet said he doesn't think it's the food (he's on Duck and legume at this point) because his toes are yeasty and they are seeing a good portion of their practice with the same problems. I'm just looking for minimize all allergens at this point. I also wonder if he needs his thyroid upped because I read that low thyroid can cause itchy dry skin.

Mom to:

LOVEBUG

• Potty Trained
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 06:40:49 PM »
Porsha has issues with red itchy feet. I thought it was yeast, (leaky gut syndrome), and tried several approved kibbles, and enzyme supplements. Nothing changed. My vet thought it is more likely environmental, and gave me a spray to try. It is called Genta Spray, and it has really helped to control it. :thumbsup: 

Cindy: Mom to Porsha, & Tyson.
          Chowder 4/2000 - 9/7/2013

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 08:20:53 PM »
I'll have to ask them about genta spray when I get his next thyroid refill.

Mom to:

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 09:52:24 AM »
I've gone back to just feeding homecooked. This year (past six months or so) Laila has developed really bad food allergies. It got to the point where she had a couple of sores on her lips and chin from rubbing/scratching so much, she even had an itchy bum! We had been feeding a rotation with TOTW kibble- the dogs always liked all of them except for the beef/boar one. But now Laila can't eat any of them without being itchy.
When I have the freezer space I make a lot, otherwise I just make a weeks worth at a time. I also put it in glass jars that I have written the exact amount to feed Laila and Vik so that it's easy for Scott or the girls to feed them once in a while. Most of the Kerr canning jars are freezer safe.

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 06:16:04 PM »
It can take up to 12 weeks for the old food to get out of his the system. I am not sure how far you are into the food change. You can try feeding sweet potato and turkey and see how he does. You might also want to check out the diet service on the UC Davis web site. They will custom make you a diet for your dog if you want to home cook long term.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2013, 10:11:30 PM »
What about trying an internal yeast cleanse? If the gut yeast gets out of control, it can cause lots of allergy like symptoms on the surface. Food changes offer limited help because the food doesn't address the yeast.

I can't remember the name of the cleanse, but Brandy used it with Bella years ago and posted about it on here.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12