Author Topic: Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Raw  (Read 2461 times)

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Raw
« on: June 19, 2013, 10:41:18 AM »
As I mentioned in Steph's Recall Thread, that I have been feeding Acana. I switched from Natural Balance LID Sweet Potato because I wanted better quality and better ingredients. I had been feeding NB because of Grady's yeasty nails issue and once it cleared up, he continued to do well on it. So, thought a change wouldn't hurt Rubi or Bauer (Bauer was eating Acana at Kerry's). However, since the switch, Rubi's gained some weight and Bauer's got yeast between his toes. I struggle going back to NB only because now that I've been feeding Acana, I'm all about the better ingredient quality...and it helps that it's never had a recall.

However, while searching around, I came across the Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Raw. I've always wanted to do raw, but I freak over raw meat (grosses me out) and am just worried about making sure I'm doing it "right." Without a daily menu to follow, I'd feel lost. But, the dehydrated raw looks simple and looks like the big box makes 40lbs of dog food. When I break out the cost per pound, it's cheaper than Acana - which is a plus.

Curious if anyone else has ever fed HK's dehydrated and what you thought about it? Would like to give it a try and if it can help with Rubi's weight (it has a lower fat content) and perhaps help with Bauer's upset tummy and yeasty feet, then I might give it a try.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Honest Kitchen Dehydrated Raw
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 01:22:17 PM »
I would be interested in the answer to this also. With all these recalls lately...I am beginning to wonder what is safe to feed anymore.
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 07:50:35 PM »
I haven't fed it because it is so much more expensive than regular food, but my brother fed it to his dogs.  I think part of the appeal is that he and SIL work at Whole Foods (so they are into "whole" foods) and SIL is a veg, so working with dehydrated isn't as gross as raw. I know they liked it while they fed it, I don't remember why they switched back to a high-end kibble but wouldn't be surprised if it was the price.

Delta is getting yeasty toes and Dash has some persistent yeasty toes now (he didn't the first 5 years or so - not sure what changed)... maybe I should try NB.  Of course, NB just got purchased by Del Monte so...
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 10:29:22 PM »
Well, honestly, cost wise....it's cheaper than what I'm paying for Acana. I have the breakdown at work, but cost per pound, HK was about .25 cents cheaper. (based on the 40lbs per box when you add water - when you consider it at 16lbs for the large box...yeh, super expensive. But the stuff I get is $62 for 28.6lbs and HK Keen is like $55 for 40lbs worth of food).

I'm also looking into Earthborn Holistic as an alternative. I may try that out first, since I'm not overly excited bout NB in general and also get a couple of samples of the HK to see if the pups like it. That way, if the Earthborn doesn't do it, then I can try HK and use NB as my last resort. It's a good food, but I prefer "better" and it did take care of Grady's yeast (along with Animal Essential Plant Enzymes and Probiotic), but it took months to clear his nails out. (think it was about 6 mos before we noticed a change)
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 02:13:30 PM »
Ah, I haven't really looked at Acana, I didn't realize it was so high. Good that it is feasible for you, hopefully you can get some samples to try it out.  :thumbsup:
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 06:54:43 PM »
I have fed Natural Balance for a while and had really liked, but then I had heard that they were bought out by Del Monte Foods. I was not thrilled. Natural Balance said they made Del Monte agree to not change the recipes, but that dose not mean they will be sourcing the ingredients from the same place. It is a shame, because the low cal version work well for the dogs I have who suffered from pancretitis.
I looked at the cost for HK. It was not going to work for my house. We have to many dogs to feed. The dogs are eating Blue Buffole and doing well so far on it,

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 08:08:43 AM »
I have fed it before - but not as a complete standalone diet. I also bought the veggie mix for a while and mixed that in with ground meat. My dogs were never completely in love with it as a standalone - so you might want to start with a small box and see if they even like it.
I would think that it is probably worth while trying. It is a quality product.

My crew is actually eating Wellness Core right now and doing fairly well on it. I wanted something else to rotate with the ACANA and I tried Core and liked it. But it isn't any cheaper than ACANA.

But I do want to get them back on raw - so hopefully I can get some freezer space setup soon.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 09:43:54 AM »
You're like the 3rd person, Kerry, who's said their pups weren't real thrilled with it. Interesting. So, I think I'll just try it, and maybe use it as part of the rotation once I figure a good kibble for them - that is if they like it. ;) One day, raw may be an option for me. The more and more I think over this kibble-crap, the closer I get to just wanting to do it.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02

jesticboxers

• Vet Checked
    • Jestic Boxers
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 06:16:12 PM »

2 of my dogs will eat the HK Preference mixed with their raw, my boy won't touch his food with it in there. My dogs have never been a fan of HK on its own. In the store I work with it is very hit or miss as well. I think it is the texture of it, because it smells wonderful but it doesn't have an appealing texture.

I hear a lot more people have success with Sojo's or Grandma Lucy's dehydrated foods as they have a more chunky texture.

With all the recalls I'm glad I feed raw as well and I know exactly what is going into my dog's mouths.
Dani Keller
Loved By Jester, Blayne, and Lexi
Jestic Boxers
www.jesticboxers.com