Author Topic: Natura Recall - Evo, Innova, California Natural  (Read 1085 times)

steph0808

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Natura Recall - Evo, Innova, California Natural
« on: June 19, 2013, 08:19:44 AM »
Just read that Natura is recalling a variety of its products - including dog food brands Evo, Innova, and California Natural.

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm357630.htm

With all the recalls, it's getting difficult to find a food you can trust! We are on Canidae right now and sticking with it for the foreseeable future. Craziness.
Riley - 9/19/2008

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Re: Natura Recall - Evo, Innova, California Natural
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:07:12 AM »
I'm so over all of these recalls. But, I do find it interesting that all of these foods are being recalled for salmonella, as I also didn't think salmonella could really effect dogs as much as it could people? I always wash my hands good after feeding the dogs and can't imagine other people don't - and is that why there is a risk; not because of dogs getting sick, but perhaps people? I know the report says no one has been reported ill, that the (voluntary) recall is a result of FDA testing at the plant - but just thoughts on my mind. I still get leary when there is a recall reported and am glad the food I feed currently - Acana - (altho thinking of going back to Natural Balance, which did have a voluntary recall a couple of years ago on one of their varieties) has never had a report.

But, you really just are taking a risk - even if you feed raw and don't know the sources of your meat - like getting it fresh from the farmer and are aware of what he feeds, what chemicals he uses, etc. I do appreciate the FDA checking these places out though, atleast it can give you some piece of mind knowing they are checking....that is, until they find something! :wreck:

FYI - I do think Canidae was on the recall list a couple years ago as well. I can't think of a food that hasn't been - other than Orijen/Acana. Perhaps Evangers and Fromme?
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

steph0808

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 09:37:26 AM »
Ya I thought salmonella wasn't really a risk for dogs either.  ??? Maybe they do mean for humans. Who knows.

We were on Canidae for a while, then they changed the formula and the boxers didn't do well on it, so we were off it for a few years. Mostly we did TOTW then. Then Diamond had all their recalls. Now we're back to Canidae, mostly because all 4 do well on it now and I can buy a bag that is 44 pounds.  With the 30 pound bags, I am having to go to the store every 2 weeks with my 4 chowhounds!
Riley - 9/19/2008

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 09:42:25 AM »
UGH! I just literally switched the dogs to Innova on Sunday! Now I have to find another food. It's so frustrating!

I am with Dawn tho, I thought salmonella didn't effect dogs...that's why raw isn't an issue for them.  :inquisitive:
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 07:14:00 PM »
I think that the problems with all the recalls is that most dog food is make at only a couple of plants even know it is from diffrent companies.  The plant in Texas was sold to new owners either late last year or early this year. I was told that it was a very clean and well run  facility before the sale. Not sure what is going on with it now. I think it was last year that the plant in North Carolina was close because they were tracing lot of problems back to it from salmonella.