Author Topic: CCL UPDATE 9-4  (Read 6385 times)

Christina

  • Socialized
  • ****
  • Posts: 1955
Re: CCL and Husband Problem
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 04:03:45 PM »
The longer that the knee is unstable, the worse the arthritis will get.  That's why Star's knees are so bad.  Star only had partial tears, there was still enough instability in there for horrible arthritis to form. 

I would go to the specialist, there are several surgical options that will have her comfortable and well on the way to healing in no time.
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

BoxerWB

  • Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • *****
  • Posts: 14004
Re: CCL and Husband Problem
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 04:39:04 PM »
I agree w/Dawn - they can't be 100% certain, but the specialist has a better "feel" for what is normal and could tell you with *more* certainty than a gen. vet.  Did the gen. vet already take X-rays? X-rays aren't great for seeing soft tissue, but they can help see how things are positioned.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

whitepupzoe

  • Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • *****
  • Posts: 18649
Re: CCL and Husband Problem
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2013, 12:44:17 PM »
No my regular vet doesn't do the surgery, they will send you to a specialist. We could go to the same place we had her shoulder done for the diagnosis.  I think Al's real issue isn't with the surgery itself it is with the recovery. I know with her shoulder she had 8 weeks of strict rest.

I think I will push for at least a specialist visit and go from there. I hate to see her limp for the rest of her life. I would rather deal with 8 weeks of recovery and then have her be fine. Her shoulder is completely healed and she has full use of it now. I imagine the knee would be the same.  :confused:
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George


Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

whitepupzoe

  • Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • *****
  • Posts: 18649
Re: CCL UPDATE 9-4
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 08:37:18 AM »
Ok so we FINALLY have an appointment with the specialist next week to look at Abby's back leg. I know he is going to say we need surgery....and Al is finally on board with it.

Any advice on what I need to ask the specialist?
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George


Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Missy/Precious mom

  • Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • ***
  • Posts: 15543
Re: CCL UPDATE 9-4
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 10:27:30 AM »
Fingers crossed
Joyce

Eilene

  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • ***
  • Posts: 8548
Re: CCL UPDATE 9-4
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 12:04:37 PM »
Good luck
Eilene
Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber,Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

Christina

  • Socialized
  • ****
  • Posts: 1955
Re: CCL UPDATE 9-4
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 06:43:40 PM »
They should do a drawer test too check for stability of the knee,  probably more xrays as well.  Ask what surgical options are available, why they recommend one over the others.  You don't have to go with the bone cutting surgeries   like TPLO  or TTA,  the traditional surgery can work very well with active dogs,  you just have to be more careful in the beginning.

I knew I couldn't keep Star that calm for the traditional surgery, I went with the TPLO,  it's pretty stable from the beginning.  He jumped his xpen 4 days post op and didn't do any damage. 

I hope it goes well.
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

3BOXERS

  • Canine Good Citizen
  • *****
  • Posts: 3147
Re: CCL UPDATE 9-4
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2013, 02:47:05 AM »
I really think that which surgery you choose depends on the age of the dog and how active they are. If she is at the point where she is mostly a couch potato and really does not tear off across the yard to get to things. Then you may want to considered something other them tplo. If she is really activate and likes to jump then I would go for tplo. I would ask if they cast after surgery. The rehab vet I have been going to thinks it is a good idea if they are casted for a week after. Mic was and it was ruff, but it really kept the knee stable.

whitepupzoe

  • Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • *****
  • Posts: 18649
Re: CCL UPDATE 9-4
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 02:51:29 PM »
Ok, back from the specialist and he didn't seem to think it was torn...or even partially torn. Said both knees were "crunchy" due to arthritis, but he did the drawer test and said she didn't show the signs of having a tear. He gave us some options...3 types or surgery to consider... Extracapsular repair, TPLO and TTA. He recommeded strict restrictions for a month along with rimadyl twice a day and see if she shows improvement. If no improvement then back for xrays and then discuss surgery options.

Abby still has alot of spunk, she is 7 years old...I mean lately she is a couch potato but mainly because of her leg bothering her I think. So I am not sure what we will decide if the restriction of activity doesn't help. This vet does the extracapsular surgery himself, but we would have to see a specialist for the TPLO or TTA.

Thoughts?
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George


Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Eilene

  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • ***
  • Posts: 8548
Re: CCL UPDATE 9-4
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 02:59:00 PM »
Sorry i have no experiece with this
Eilene
Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber,Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

whitepupzoe

  • Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • *****
  • Posts: 18649
Re: CCL UPDATE 9-4
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 03:04:18 PM »
Sorry i have no experiece with this

You're lucky! LOL I wish I didn't either!
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George


Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Rubidawg

  • Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • ***
  • Posts: 7453
    • HeathDawgs
Re: CCL UPDATE 9-4
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2013, 03:09:03 PM »
Personally, restrict her - VERY tough restriction. It's hard to go through, but so important and then see how she does. I would not opt for surgery if she's just "slowing down" from the pain. Pain meds and restriction may be all she needs. If it were my dog, I'd look into conservative management and treat that way. If she's not getting anything with the drawer test, surgery isn't worth it.

I will say this, on the drawer test - they couldn't get much movement from Rubi's knee either. However, her screaming in pain, unable to walk, hiding in spaces, peeing herself....they knew something was wrong. Test, upon test, upon test came up with nothing. An ortho looked at how she was attempting to walk, looked at her knee, felt around and said...yep, it's torn or atleast partial...and surgery was the only option. She felt there was so much arthritis built up in her knee and degenerative disease, that the knee was staying in it's place, for lack of a better term, but still needed to be repaired to the point she wasn't screaming in pain anymore - and it was a constant scream, not like she was getting up and it hurt. She wouldn't move. They thought autoimmune disease, among other things. We considered letting her go because she could not move at all. We hesitated with the surgery, but decided to go with it and are relieved that she's no longer hurting. They did find only a partial tear, but it was enough for her. So, sometimes, the drawer test is not always going to tell the story of what's going on. However, I really don't think this is the case with Abby. She may have a slight partial tear, that with some rest and medication, will heal up on it's own. Well worth the shot rather than putting her through surgery. IMO
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

whitepupzoe

  • Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • *****
  • Posts: 18649
Re: CCL UPDATE 9-4
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2013, 03:18:50 PM »
I hope so Dawn. We haven't really been strict with the restrictions...so it's kinda our fault. I don't want to put her thru surgery unless it's absolutely necessary, the doctor also said he could sedate her and do more extensive xrays and manipulate the joint to get better answers if she doesn't improve.
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George


Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

3BOXERS

  • Canine Good Citizen
  • *****
  • Posts: 3147
Re: CCL UPDATE 9-4
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2013, 12:03:11 AM »
With Mic I tried to go the crate rest route. He had only a partial tear at the time. I did lots of rehab and at about 10 months the pet sitter let him have to much time in the yard by himself and he tore his acl completely. All it takes is one quick turn or jump and it can undo all the progress. If she is still really active I would go for TPLO. It is the most stable. Right now I would also consider getting her on Adaquin. I will help with the pain and inflammation.  I hope it is not a tear and the she feels better with some crate rest.

Christina

  • Socialized
  • ****
  • Posts: 1955
Re: CCL UPDATE 9-4
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 12:19:48 PM »
Star's  knee was always stable with the drawer test,  both with him awake and sedated,  he still had a partial tear that was causing enough instability for him to have significant arthritis in both knees by the time we finally found the specialist who checked the drew the fluid off his knees and found it indicated a tear.  Star was a special case with his odd presentation and his age.

 Since her knee appears to be stable, I would go with the strict rest and rimadyl,  but if has to  be very strict restrictions.  Hopefully she'll get better,  but if it is torn,  the chances of conservative management working aren't great. 
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14