Author Topic: Introducing new baby  (Read 2669 times)

storis momma

• Potty Trained
Introducing new baby
« on: June 03, 2013, 10:18:07 PM »
My husband and I are expecting our first child in a couple weeks and we're trying to get Stori ready for the new member of the family.  From the first day we got Stori we've always handled her as if a child would, pulling gently on her ears, jowls, tail, etc to get her to be okay with any kind of handling.  We've had her around the bassinet, playpen, swing, and car seat so she gets used to them without baby using them, and we've taken her for walks with the stroller.  I've carried things in my arms, to mimic holding a baby, and have played youtube sounds of newborns crying for her to get used to those as well. 

Our plan after baby is born, before we bring him home from the hospital, is that my husband will come home (we live 2 minutes away from the hospital) with a blanket that smells like baby and introducing the blanket to Stori first.

Any other tips and advice or experiences?
Carla
Mom to Stori 4/11/09

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Introducing new baby
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 09:15:10 AM »
First of all Congrats!!

Funny story...we bought a baby doll at the advice of a trainer to "practice" with the dogs...well George or course thought it was toy and proceeded to attack it and shake it!  :o  On to plan B...LOL

When we first brought Olivia home we put her right in the pack and play and then let the dogs come up and sniff her. She was in a safe place and they could have access to her. They were obvioulsy curious as to what this new crying wiggling thing was...but were very gentle with her. We of course were there at all times to supervise when the dogs were in the room.  Another good way is to put the baby in a swing and let the Stori sniff her on her own.  

They also say for you to go in when you get home from the hospital and greet the dog first, because she will be excited to see you since you have been gone a couple days. Then have your husband bring the baby in when she is calmed down.

My only other advice is to just include her in everything, don't make her feel like she's being blocked from the baby. The more she is around the baby the better she will and the more it will be just old news.  

Good luck and keep us posted!

You might see alot of this at first:

But eventually you will see this:

« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 09:17:41 AM by whitepupzoe »
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Eilene

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 12:55:48 PM »
I agree with Kristin and congrats on the new baby..
Eilene
Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber,Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

storis momma

• Potty Trained
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 03:04:07 PM »
Thanks very much ladies :)  We are pretty excited.

Kristen, I love the pictures. 

Stori has been around lots of kids before and she's very curious about them, especially the ones her size.  She's good with them but they go home at the end of the day, lol.  There was one day I was hosting a bridal shower for a friend and one of the guests brought their infant along and put the carseat with the baby in it on the chair.  Stori walked up to the carseat and sat down and rested her head on the baby's legs, and just stared.  So freaking cute.
Carla
Mom to Stori 4/11/09

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 03:38:49 PM »
Aww how cute! I think she will be just fine then! The trainer told me that she worries more about toddler interaction with dogs then infants. Once they start becoming mobile is when the real trouble can start...the pulling, the climbing, etc. I think as long as you are aware of what the baby and dog are both doing you will be fine.  :thumbsup:
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 07:04:36 PM »
Congrats on the new baby!

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 08:05:04 PM »
Sounds like she will be fine.

I did the doll thing too and I am not sure how much it helped but I def had Bob bring home a blanket that we swaddled evan into. He let the dogs sniff it and the put it in the bassinet. I also webt into the house first and greeted the dogs. While I was greeting them (in our room) bob came in with Evans carseat and put it on the counter. After a few Bob put Evan on the table then I took him and sat in the rocker and Peanut came to sniff him. Peanut wouldn't let Beas near Evan for 3 days but she finally let him come sniff Evan
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

LOVEBUG

• Potty Trained
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 09:07:35 PM »
Congratulations! How exciting! Be sure to keep us posted, and we'll need photos of that new baby too! :yes:

Cindy: Mom to Porsha, & Tyson.
          Chowder 4/2000 - 9/7/2013

storis momma

• Potty Trained
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 04:51:38 PM »
Thanks everyone for the advice and well wishes.  Of course I'll keep you updated, and tonnes of pictures goes without saying   ;D
Carla
Mom to Stori 4/11/09