Author Topic: Back to homecooked full time  (Read 1091 times)

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
Back to homecooked full time
« on: April 26, 2013, 03:38:42 PM »
I have decided that I'm done with kibble. Laila started regurgitating her kibble and itching- no change in kibble and the face itching would start about 15 minutes after eating. I've done both raw and homecooked in the past (I have always done a bit of raw in rotation with their kibble anyway) but I've decided I'm going to do homecooked for the convenience of it. I make up a bunch of food and either can or freeze it. Right now their meat is rabbit but I might be trading some rabbit meat for fresh lamb to add variety.

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Re: Back to homecooked full time
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 10:35:23 PM »
Good for you! I have to admit, when we started homecooking for Grady's meals, it really made me feel good knowing he was getting better ingredients and truly a more rounded diet (making sure he got the nutrients he needed to fight against the cancer), and seeing him thrive on that food, made all the extra work worth it. I just wish that we could really keep up with it now. I do homecook occassionally for Rubi and Bauer, but with being out of town so much lately, and really...the cost (since we buy only organic ingredients for their food) and freezer space, it's hard for me to justify doing it fulltime. I have a feeling that I will someday go to full homecooking....if I can find room in our freezer for it....and the time to make their meals each week. I do homecook treat now, rarely buy treats unless I disect their ingredients, and atleast it's a step in the right direction.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12