Author Topic: Popeye is still hungry...  (Read 1837 times)

Popeyelove

• Weanling
Popeye is still hungry...
« on: March 30, 2013, 10:54:45 PM »
I just started home cooking for Popeye.  I decided to do this because I had been thinking about it for a while but when he refused to eat his kibble this past month and dropped a significant amount of weight (8-10 lbs. ) I started feeding him chicken and rice and he loved it.  I noticed he had been eating grass like crazy and his stool was very loose.  I started giving him one quarter chicken, two cups of rice and two cups of veggies once a day, but he looks at me as if he is still hungry.  I have been cooking for him for about a week and a half and I think he's losing more weight.  He is 16 months old.  Last time we took him to the vet in October, before last week, he weighed 65 lbs. and I know he had continued to gain more weight since then.  He was probably about 70 lbs. Before he started losing weight about a month ago.  Took him to the vet last week and they ran blood tests And checked for worms.  Everything came out fine.  Am I not feeding him enough?

He weighed 62 lbs last week at the vet.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 10:58:08 PM by Popeyelove »

Christina

• Socialized
Re: Popeye is still hungry...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 08:36:07 AM »
You'll want to make sure the diet is balanced  in addition to him getting enough to eat. There are some good sources out there about home cooking for dogs.
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 09:37:11 AM »
How is he getting bone? This is very important - and if you are home cooking either needs to come in the form of crushed egg shells or bone meal of some sort.

He is still a young boy so I would probably start feeding him 3x a day - or at least twice. I would also cut back on the rice and feed more protein - maybe add in some heart/liver/gizzards. Is he getting the skin on the chicken - that is quite fatty?  I would also add in some eggs and some cottage cheese.
Some other things to try would be beef, pork, fish (try sardines or canned makeral). Maybe one day he gets chicken, and the next beef and then fish and so on - and you can use different veggies with each different protein. Some maybe one day it is spinach and carrots, and the next it is kale and yellow squash. You could also switch up the rice - and do oatmeal.

Here is a good article to read - that also covers the amount of food you should be feeding (my guess is you should be feeding somewhere between 1 1/2lbs-2lbs of food a day) -
http://dogaware.com/articles/wdjhomemade3.html
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Popeyelove

• Weanling
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 08:26:23 PM »
I am not giving him any bones right now.  I can give him egg shells, but is it okay to give him eggs every day? Not too much cholesterol?
I am giving him a tbsp. of flaxseed meal with his food.  Where do I buy the bonemeal?
I am nervous about giving him people multivitamins, so I might buy him some for dogs.

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 09:50:05 PM »
Okay, it is very important that he gets calcium from somewhere - so possibly start off with grinding up some egg shells (the shell does need to be ground up fairly finely - you can grind the shell in your coffee grinder). I am not sure where one gets bone meal - I have always fed raw bones - try googling it and see what you can find.

Yes, it is pefectly safe to give him eggs every day.

Here are some options I found from googling -
http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/products/Animal-Essentials-Seaweed-Calcium-Dog-Cat-Supplement/148016.aspx
https://secure.balanceit.com/marketplace2.2/details.php?i=5&cc= (this contains calcium and other vitamins)

Another option to consider is to start feeding raw bones that your boy can actually consume - for example, chicken necks/backs/quarters etc. You could feed this for 1 meal a day and have a cooked meal as the other meal.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Popeyelove

• Weanling
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 10:56:07 PM »
Thank you so much for the links.  I will try the egg shell grinding, can I give him hardboiled eggs? I can cook that with the rice at the same time.  How many eggs a day would you recommend?

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 05:30:51 PM »
Zoey eats 2 cups twice a day of turkey, rice and veggies. Plus she gets a probotic to help with digestion. If he is losing wieght you may want to feed him some moe. You can add lentials to his food also. They are a good soure of protin.