Author Topic: Should I suspect the food?  (Read 2581 times)

odeya

• Best Avatar & Best Show-Off Photos - 2008; Most Optimistic Member - 2009
  • Socialized
Should I suspect the food?
« on: February 25, 2013, 08:13:35 AM »
If 2 out of 3 of my dogs keep getting diarrhea (over the past week) should I suspect the food? I'm feeding TOTW. My foster, Dawson, and Freya are acting fine, but as soon as I switch them from boiled chicken and rice back to their kibble they have explosive diarrhea again :wall:. Jack's eating the same thing though and is fine.
Jack & Freya

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Should I suspect the food?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 08:34:42 AM »
I would think it's the food if they both have diarehha after switching back.  Is there anything else different that could be causing the D? Treats? Table food?
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 08:49:13 AM »
I stopped feeding TOTW when both of mine started itching badly and more eye boogies . I have also heard of other dogs having issues when they did not have them before on TOTW .

I would think the food is the problem if their stomach settles down then starts again when fed the TOTW.
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 09:37:46 AM »
I would suspect the same. The only other thing I'd wonder is if you are fasting them a meal or two before the chicken and rice. Maybe their tummies need a reset before they go back to the complex food.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

odeya

• Socialized
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 10:29:08 AM »
Yes, I have been fasting them for a day. No treats or table food for either one - I've been very strict about that since this started.

I just discovered that a new pet store opened in our small town that only sells high quality foods and prices are comparable to the large chains. I'm going to check them out today and drop off a stool sample of Dawson's at the vet to rule out parasites.

Since neither one has had totw for a couple of days would it be okay to start them out on the new food immediately? I can't switch them slowly, obviously, so I'm not sure how to start the new food.
Jack & Freya

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 10:35:13 AM »
Maybe try a food that has limited ingredients or is for sensitive tummies. I think NB has a couple limited ingredient foods. Maybe add some pumpkin to help with the switchover and the diarreha too.
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 12:24:01 PM »
Sounds like the food. Like Kristin said, NB LID has several formulas and its really helped with Beas' IBD
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 05:08:15 PM »
Precious ate TOTW Pacific stream with no problem. The bison she did get loose stools but not diahrea.
Joyce

odeya

• Socialized
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 05:40:22 PM »
Precious ate TOTW Pacific stream with no problem. The bison she did get loose stools but not diahrea.

Jack and Freya have been on the salmon totw for years without a problem, too. I picked up new foods for all of them today. Holistic Blend/The Healthy Dog - which is quite inexpensive and 4 stars on the dog food advisor - for Dawson and Freya because they don't have allergies (it has brown rice), and Zignature trout & salmon for Jack. Has anyone ever used these?
Jack & Freya

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 06:04:39 PM »
I was feeding Great Life for almost 2 years and all of a sudden I started having problems. Lots of soft poo. It was strange. I tried the rice and turkey thing, but as soon as I put them back on kibble I would get diarrhea. Finally switched back to Natural Balance and thing went back to normal.