Author Topic: More Homemade Dog Treats  (Read 1503 times)

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
More Homemade Dog Treats
« on: December 27, 2012, 05:21:17 PM »
Thought I'd share this recipe I got in an email from Modern Dog Magazine for those who may want to try to make their own dog treats. I've found it's really easy to do and it seems like my dogs actually prefer my treats over the store bought ones.

Ingredients
• 1 duck breast

• 1/4 cup unsweetened (no sugar added) applesauce

• 3/4 cup instant potatoes. I prefer to use a granulated instant potato (such as the Paradise Valley brand available at Costco) rather than flaked, but either will work.

• 1 tsp rosemary

• 1 tsp parsley

• 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of chicken broth or water

Directions
STEP 1 Preheat your oven to 400°. If you have a food processor, roughly chop the duck breast before putting it in the processor. I lived a full and happy life without a food processor, but bought one six months ago, and man, I wish I had gotten one a long time ago! If you’re going manual all the way, chop the duck breast into little bitty bites.

STEP 2 Either in the food processor or in a big mixing bowl, add the chopped duck, the instant potato, the applesauce, rosemary, and parsley. Pulse or mix together. As you go along, slowly add as much water or broth as you need to get the dough to a spreadable consistency. My preference, to keep the treats lower in fat and sodium, is water, but use broth if that’s what you think your dog would prefer. This is a wet dough—it’s without flour, after all—so don’t worry if it looks like a big brown blob—it’s supposed to!

STEP 3 Spread the dough onto a parchment-lined baking tray. I get right in there with my hands rather than using a spatula. Use a knife to cut squares in the raw dough. I cut big squares for my boys, but you should make them the appropriate size for your dogs.

STEP 4 Bake them at 400° for 40 minutes then turn the oven off, but leave the treats in for an extra hour or so to dry out even more as the oven cools down. When you take the treats out, flip them over on the parchment to let the bottom dry out a bit more as they cool on the counter.

STEP 5 Store an immediate-consumption portion of GoodBites in your fridge for three to five days, and freeze the rest. Or keep them all in the freezer and serve them frozen. I’ve taken to keeping all of my treats in the freezer because this way my piglets have to eat them in two bites rather than gulp them right down the hatch!

** I'm going to sub the potato with oats and the duck with ground turkey or chicken breast and give this one a try. I'll let ya'll know how it turns out or if anyone else tries it, let us know!
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
Re: More Homemade Dog Treats
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 12:49:08 AM »
May have to give it a try.

AandWBoxers

• Potty Trained
  • One of those days!
Re: More Homemade Dog Treats
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 01:39:35 PM »
I'm surprised this recipe calls for instant potatoes~  They have almost no nutritional value! 
I have used dried sweet potatoes chopped up in the food processor - to me, they have more nutrients as well as flavor.

I have found that after cooking the treats, using a pizza cutter works so very well for cutting up the treats.  I'm able to control the size I cut them in.  I slide the parchment paper off the tray (with the cooked treat on it), onto a cutting board and use the pizza cutter.  It works so well.

This sounds like a good recipe~  I think I will try it! Thank you!

Wendy
Mocha, CGC 4/26/04  :sombrero:    Mugs 9/27/08  :devilish:    Axel 7/21/10  :puppy:
Max, CGC, TP 5/3/03 - 8/27/09  :angel: