Author Topic: A Nervous Nelly of a puppy mama  (Read 2391 times)

Southernish

• Weanling
    • Boxer-ific Blog
A Nervous Nelly of a puppy mama
« on: December 11, 2012, 02:47:30 PM »
Dry kibble ...

Feeding it to the puppies without soaking it first has me a nervous wreck.

The back story is that 11 years ago I adopted a wonderful Boston Terrier.  He was about 6 months old and the BYB who owned his sire and dam fed him solid foods too early.  As a result he developed a fecal impaction.  The impaction caused damage to his colon.  He spent the rest of his life as a special needs dog. He had to be fed very carefully (the right food, soaked not dry, and a fiber supplement to keep his stools soft enough that he could pass them).  One wrong step and he would be back in the vet's office for an enema.  It was a 10-year battle to keep everything in the right balance.  To little of one thing and he'd stop up, too much of another thing and he'd have horrible diarrhea.  Eventually, the balancing act became harder and harder to maintain and he began to suffer and we had to put him down.

I didn't mind the balancing act (and all of the trial and error it took to get it right).  I loved Bolt and I still miss him deeply.

Unfortunately, now I am terrified to start feeding Loki and Annabel dry kibble - but soaking their food forever isn't a good thing either. 

So ... at what age is it okay to start feeding dry kibble?  They're 9 weeks now and everything I can find says it should be okay.  But I guess I just want some reassurances that I won't be doing them harm.
Carole
Mama to Loki and Annabel Lee

steph0808

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: A Nervous Nelly of a puppy mama
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 03:23:52 PM »
My boxers are 6 and 4 and still get some warm water on their kibble.  I think they find it more appetizing - but basically, we got into the habit from when they were puppies and never stopped.

So do whatever makes you feel more comfortable. 
Riley - 9/19/2008

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 03:47:45 PM »
My guys still get water over their kibble. I don't soak it, just put it on there just prior to them eating. I think the main thing is can they chew the kibble pieces enough to swallow without choking.
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 04:10:28 PM »
I don't thik it's a big deal. You just don't want to soak kibble that has citric acid as a preservitive because it can contribute to bloat, so you should look into that.
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 08:21:08 PM »
I feed my with a little water in their kibble to slow them down a bit.

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 11:43:01 PM »
I don't really recall when I officially stopped wetting Bauer's food, but it was probably around 4 or 5 months old, maybe sooner. I don't wet their food, but will give them add-ins every now and then - yogurt, cottage cheese, rice, pumpkin, etc. But, just avoid wetting it. No particular reason, as I think I checked our food before (Natural Balance) and don't think it had citric acid, but just never really thought about it, to be honest. It wasn't a conscience effort, so I agree.....whatever you feel comfortable with. I think for me, it was more about when he was big enough to be able to chew the food without choking.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

LOVEBUG

• Potty Trained
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 01:09:54 PM »
I too, put water on their kibble just before feeding. It helps to slow them down a bit. :)

Cindy: Mom to Porsha, & Tyson.
          Chowder 4/2000 - 9/7/2013

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 07:31:10 PM »
Boy, I hardly even remember wetting Delta's food at all when we got her at 8 weeks. I don't think wetting it is an issue if the food doesn't have citric acid.

Was the vet sure the early feeding was the only cause? I ask because my Dad once had a little dog with digestion issues. When the pup passed away, they did a necropsy and discovered he had bowel malformations.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12