Author Topic: Bad Breath  (Read 1219 times)

gsweeti119

• Weanling
Bad Breath
« on: November 04, 2012, 10:55:45 AM »
Hi everyone
i have a 3 (almost 4) year old boxer. I would say with in the last 2 weeks his breath as gotten extremely bad. He is still eating normal and i was thinking about calling the vet to get him checked out. He does have a few super small teeth in the front that seem to be more ground down than they have been previously, i am not sure if that could gave anything to do with it. Does anyone have any suggestions or have ever come across the same problem
i appreciate any feed back
Gwen

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Bad Breath
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 10:05:12 PM »
Are the teeth worn down or have the gums grown up?  Boxers tend to get gingival hyperplasia (excessive gum growth) ... 3-4 is a little young to have enough to change their breath, but isn't unreasonable.  If you open up and look at the back teeth and can only see a little bit of them, that is gum growth. 

Once it gets so that the back teeth are nearly or completely covered, bacteria collects in the pockets and makes their breath really bad.  They can also get some acid reflux because the bacteria gets swallowed and upsets their stomach.  At this point, vets generally suggest surgery so the teeth won't rot and that also clears up the bacteria issues.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Bumpy

• Forum Wise Alec - 2008
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 09:08:51 PM »
My girl Shelly has this and at times some junk collects in the crease of the over growth that will within a day turn her breath to hell. Try to clean debris by brushing, damp rag etc.  When we are vigilant with it her breath stays pretty good. We are going to get her gums done soon.

Shelly CGC 7.13.06 Keanu 5.16.07

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 10:10:48 AM »
I need to have Precious gums done real bad.  Her breath is terrible.
Joyce

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 08:04:04 PM »
Could have a rotten tooth or just some dirty teeth. You could try brushing them.