Author Topic: Won't stop jumping-getting dangerous  (Read 2536 times)

Popeyelove

• Weanling
Won't stop jumping-getting dangerous
« on: October 07, 2012, 12:08:14 AM »
Popeye has been doing great not jumping on us most of the time, BUT when he wants to play he just won't stop no matter what I do.  I tell him "off" and that is the only time of day he completely does what he wants.  I let him out during theses times because he is hurting us now-he's about 65 lbs. now and 13 months old.  I put a leash on him too and he gets worse, I ignore him and turn away, he will not stop jumping! He is relentless!  The more we ignore him the harder he rams us.  Will he outgrow this?

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
Re: Won't stop jumping-getting dangerous
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 01:53:43 AM »
Sounds like you got yourself a hyper little guy. My advice would be lots more exercise. A tired boxer is a good boxer. Good luck
"Dogs are not our whole life,They make our life whole"
Piper we miss you baby girl, but you live on in our hearts.

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 10:17:23 AM »
I'm confused by the "we let him out at this time" statement. What does that mean? Is he typically locked up? Some clarification might help direct us to the issue. But, I do agree....exercise. Either physical or mental stimulation.

When he is about to jump  - STAND UP and turn your back to him. If he jumps, it will feel like he ran right into a brick wall and will eventually learn that this is no fun. Will take several attempts, but he should eventually get it. Ignore him til he sits or moves on. If he sits, then pet and play. If he moves on to play with something else, then just go back to what you were doing. (sitting down watching tv, etc)

At his age, I wouldn't focus so much on keeping him on leash. He has to learn to behave off leash and he won't always have a leash around to stop from doing these things. The only time mine are leashed is when company comes over and they greet at the door. They are leashed til they settle. Otherwise, we work on the behaviors we want off leash, so that they figure out how to behave properly. At 13mos, he's still a puppy, and still figuring it out. May just take him longer to get there, depending on how much he was allowed to do it as a pup, etc. Patience. And Consistency.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Popeyelove

• Weanling
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 08:37:12 PM »
Sorry about not posting more info earlier, we are undergoing some renovations to our house :dizzy2:  what I meant by" let him out" is that we let him run off his exuberant energy out in the yard when he gets like this.  We walk him for about 30 minutes a day.  Lately he can't handle playing without jumping all over us about five minutes into it.  He used to let us chase him outside or chase a ball, but not anymore.  We are his favorite toy now.  I have tried ignoring him and turning my back, he gets even more excited.  The rest of the day he is fine and obeys commands, just not during his " crazy" time. It looks like tackle football with Popeye doing all of the tackling.  I literally have to run inside the house with him continuing to jump on me all the way to the door with me screaming "open the door!"  We just took him to the vet, he said he is one of the most hyper dogs he has met.  I'm thinking it's due to his adolescent stage. How can I play with him and not get jumped on? Do I just not play with him until he mellows out?  He does not obey any commands when he is like this.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 09:06:46 PM »
Did the vet run a thyroid panel? Although I haven't heard of dogs having a specific time of day, sometimes thyroid can cause problems with behavior.

Has he ever been to training classes?
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Popeyelove

• Weanling
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 10:15:40 PM »
The vet didn't test for anything.  We took him in for a problem he is having with his rear leg " stuttering" when he gets up from lying down or sitting. Since Popeye's legs looked fine he said to monitor him.  He didn't draw blood or anything.  He has not been to training classes.  We got him when he was five months old and he barely knew how to sit.  Now he knows sit, stay and off.  He walks well on the leash.  It is only for about an hour or two a day when he goes bonkers.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 10:35:18 PM »
I would suggest getting a CBC and a thyroid panel. Did the stuttering start near the time he started having his wild time?
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

BosleysMom

• Weanling
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 01:13:22 PM »
a 30 minute walk once a day is not enough excercise. That's your problem right there. You need to get himout alot more than that.. Once he is tired out a bit he will be more apte to take in what you are trying to tech him... a.k.a. not to jump.

Bosley and I go for a 45 minute walk in the morning and same thing when I get home from work. I work with him at home playing mind games; Just some mental stimulation. I'll hide his favourite toy somewhere in the house and he has to 'find it' by searching it out. When we have the time we will go to the park and play fetch for a good hour or so. I'd say atleast 2 to 3 times a weel. On weekends, we are fortunate we have about 8 acres of land with a cottage and he runs all day there.

Like previous people have posted, a tired boxer is a good boxer. They require mental and physical stimulation to behave the way you want them to lol (and sometimes that's questionable lol) I would suggest more excercise and maybe an obedience course to get his mind thinking :)
Bosley'sMom :)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 01:22:26 PM »
I agree with giving him more mental stimulation. I don't agree with more/longer walks necessarily... Popeye is only 13mos old and typically long duration "forced" (as in you set the pace and duration, not that you are being nasty) exercise is not recommended while they are still young. 

Perhaps a couple short training session walks would help add to both physical and mental exercise without overdoing it.  During training session walks, you are 100% focused on getting the behavior you want (so they aren't for pottying, or sniffing the breezes, etc)... you are doing loose lead walking or heeling, sits, downs, stays, etc. 
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05