Author Topic: biopsy results  (Read 1596 times)

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
biopsy results
« on: September 28, 2012, 11:28:28 AM »
I got the restult back today - they were actually in yesterday but the vet was off .  :wall:

It is a cutaneous histiocytoma . So all is well except that I have many more grey hairs.

I feel a bit stupid about the whole thing now . :embarassed:
I have seen many histios and always knew what they were . This one did look like a histio when I first saw it , but as it grew so large and so fast I was worried . I have never seen or hear of one being this large and the vet said she too never saw a cutaneous histio so large .

I learned a few new things about histios today . There are actually cancerous forms of histios which is what the vet was concerned about since Remy's grew so large ( larger than a marble ) . The only way to tell which type a histio is would be to look at the cells / biposy .

So all is well with the goober boy . The kids will be so relieved - I am too.
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: biopsy results
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 11:32:40 AM »
That's great!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Better safe then sorry Missi! I don't mess around with bumps, I would rather pay the $$ to have a vet look at it then regret it later.
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 11:46:50 AM »
This is GREAT news, Missi! So fantastic! I'm so happy that this is all it was. And please DO NOT beat yourself up over it. The way it was growing, the way it looked and the way it was bothering him -  I would have opted for removal as well.

And, I will say this, last year Grady had a histio between his toes that grew very rapidly and burst as quickly as it came on. Remember when I had him wearing a sock last spring/summer? If we had biopsied it, we may have found that it was most likely cancerous. This is how his cancer - histiocytic sarcoma - develops. The way that thing went on, it was surely very different than any other histio I've seen, but we treated it with meds and when it became infected, it went away. So, I'm VERY glad you had it checked. When they get a little crazy like that, you better believe I will make sure I don't turn the other cheek.

Hug that boy for me! How's he feeling now? any better?
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 12:02:15 PM »
I'm glad it turned out to be nothing serious. I remember a tech telling me that about histios, she said most are nothing and go away on their own, but if they don't, they can be serious.

How's his ear healing?
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Sir Duke

• Potty Trained
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 12:29:35 PM »
I am so happy to hear this!!! :thumbsup:

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 01:38:18 PM »
How's his ear healing?

There is a big scab on the spot where it was removed . But he is not bothered by it anymore , I guess the itching part of scabbing over has passed . He still shakes his head , but that too is less often . He is acting more like himself which I think is because he is off the pain meds - they did make him a bit groggy .
I can still see where it looks like it may be growing back on the edge but it's hard to tell with the scabbing if it really is . So i'll just watch it when the scab comes off .

A little side story-

My dogs sleep down stairs on the main level , every morning Remy will come upstairs when my alarm goes off and will wait by my room for me to get up and ready . The last 2 weeks he had been wearing his e-collar at night and would not even walk while wearing it .He would be in the same spot as the night before when I put it on . So each morning I would get up and he would not be waiting for me at my doorway ( broke my heart).
Last night Dave forgot to put his e-collar on when he went to bed and this morning Remy met me in the upstairs hallway near my room when I got up . I was so glad to see him happily waiting for me like he normally does .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 01:49:50 PM »
Awwwww Poor guy. Those e-collars can sure throw them off. It's like when they get holtered....they just don't wanna move. Glad he's doing much better now and is feelin back to his old self. It sure is heartbreaking, you just wish you could tell them it will be ok.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 02:41:41 PM »
So glad to hear the good news. Don't beat yourself up over worrying about it I was freaking out last night over a little pink thing hanging from Daisy's lip.
"Dogs are not our whole life,They make our life whole"
Piper we miss you baby girl, but you live on in our hearts.

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 05:27:20 PM »
So glad it turned out to be nothing. When i had Bella' s ears done we got the inflatable donut. It worked pretty well. It was easer then the cone of doom.