Author Topic: Star's opinion  (Read 1032 times)

Christina

• Socialized
Star's opinion
« on: September 20, 2012, 10:34:53 AM »
My vet got back with me on the radiologist's opinion and said that the radiologist felt it was more than likely the leg or hip causing the problem and not the spine.  My vet wanted to see Star again to check him out and to make sure that he didn't miss anything with the leg, swelling over the knee, pain in a different place, something like that.  With Star's history of infections popping up in joints and just being plain complicated, I'm glad he's taking another look.  I dropped him off this morning, much to his dismay.  He gave me those sad puppy dog eyes, they sure do try to make you feel bad for dropping them off!

I did give him a copy of Star's x-ray from 2008 to compare to his one from last month, just so he could see the progression of his spondylosis and arthritis in his knees. 

He's been doing ok with the vetprofen and tramadol, I can tell when he needs his next dose, he's very stiff and has trouble getting around by early evening.  I've come to the conclusion that I can't restrict him, he's absolutely miserable when restricted, and he's still in pain, so I'd rather see him happy and have some pain than miserable and have the same pain.  Ultimately it all comes down to quality of life...he's a silly, happy boy when he gets to run and act like an idiot...
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Star's opinion
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 07:08:47 PM »
I hope they are able to figure it out and give him a little more relief. 

I completely understand what you mean about not restricting him... my sister's newf was diagnosed w/one "totally blown" elbow and one "nearly blown" elbow at 5 yrs old (he'd already had major displasia that required hip surgery at 8 mos).  "Galumphing" around the yard was a joyful thing for him and we didn't have the heart to make him stop for the sake of an elbow that wasn't bound to last long.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 09:52:46 PM »
The vet said that he got a pain response from Star when he manipulated his right hip. The knee felt good and stable, no heat or swelling, no obvious problems there. We talked for a while, and the best we can come up with is that his gait and lack of full range of motion in his knees is causing his hips and spine to be unstable and overcompensation, which is causing pain there instead of his knees. When he runs, he doesn't bend his knees very much, it's more like he's posting.

Ultimately we're not 100% sure if the pain is coming from his hip, spine, or knee, but it'll still be the same.  We're going to try metacam after a few days off the vetprofen and see if he doesn't get a little more relief from that.
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 12:55:41 AM »
I hope you find the answer!

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 01:13:28 AM »
 Goodness Christina, I hope the new meds work. Im with you on not restricting him. If you restrict him and he gets depressed his pain will only get worse.  :fingerscrossed: Hoping he feels better with the new medication.
"Dogs are not our whole life,They make our life whole"
Piper we miss you baby girl, but you live on in our hearts.