Author Topic: Same brand different "flavor"  (Read 2120 times)

Montana

• Just Whelped
Same brand different "flavor"
« on: September 19, 2012, 10:34:50 PM »
Just thinking about trying the other flavor of Nature's Domain and wondering if I have to mix them like recommended when switching to new dog foods?  We use the salmon and sweet potato now, but noticed our local costco now has the red bag and it's over $3 a bag cheaper, so thought we'd try it.  Not really for the price, but for taste variety.  Both are grain free and all stages, the only thing I can think of is salmon costs more than turkey...? 
Should I stick with salmon?  Benefits?  They are 30lb bags, so it's not like we can sample it!  :)  Thanks for advice!   

???
Darby~ 6-6-12 docked and floppy brindle girl!

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Re: Same brand different "flavor"
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 11:22:15 PM »
When you are switching from brand to brand, the recommendation is to do a slow transition. However, when using the same brand and switching flavor to another, you should be ok to not have to slowly transition. So, you should be fine to just switch it out. But, if you've not tried that brand before, you may want to mix it in for a couple of days first, just to make sure there's no issue (like if it's salmon and your dog has never had salmon before, etc). I've never had a problem though.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Boxermom,K

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 01:02:11 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much switching from salmon to turkey as long as your dog doesn't have pre-existing digestive issues. I would mix if going to a salmon food for the first time (duck also) because it is much richer than turkey, chicken or lamb. The advantage I have found with salmon is that it is much higher in good fatty acids- great for skin and coat. I alternate our kibble foods from salmon to bison/venison off and on. 

Bubba 12/30/00 - 10/29/07
Kristi
Mom to Laila CGC- 9 year old fawn, Viktor CGC, TDI- 7 year old heeler mix

Montana

• Just Whelped
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 08:20:07 PM »
Thanks!!!  I don't want to cause tymmy issues and diarrhea! :(  I may not even try the other, just curious.
Darby~ 6-6-12 docked and floppy brindle girl!