Author Topic: Chosing pick puppy  (Read 2844 times)

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
Chosing pick puppy
« on: August 15, 2012, 09:09:17 AM »
When choosing which puppy you keep from a litter do you ( or should you) pick what you feel is the best puppy conformation wise or do you also consider the personality of the puppy and how it will fit in with your current dogs .

Would you pass on the 1st choice puppy for a conf Ch and go with the 2nd choice puppy if you felt the personality of choice 1 would not fit with your current dogs . Let's say that choice 1 is the most dominant of the litter and you worry about what may happen down the line as the puppy ages and you may have personality conflicts with the dogs .

Or do you just go with the best chance for a Ch and deal with whatever problems may arise down the road as the puppy grows up ?
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Chosing pick puppy
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 10:09:32 AM »
Well, the "top pick" pup from Delta's litter ended up as a pet.  I can't tell you all the details, since I wasn't looking at her for myself.  From what Jill told me, she felt the pup's quiet temperament was more suited to a pet's life at home with a playmate than the show scene.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 11:06:03 AM »
Ideally you'd find a show home to co-own the first pick and keep the second pick yourself. However I've done just the opposite with this litter, kept the pick puppy even though I'm guessing I'll have issues when he gets older (only because I've never been able to keep two males together into maturity -- maybe I'll get lucky this time, but I'm not holding my breath!). However he is and will remain available to a serious show home, even though that's getting harder to think about the longer he stays. ;) 

Then again, you never know what might happen -- we passed up a male puppy when we had Linus and Hugo, because we didn't want to deal with three adult males, and then a year later we lost both of them within six weeks of each other. :(
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 08:35:23 AM »
I do take the personality of the puppy into account when making my choices. When I had my first litter I kept Skye for that very reason - because I thought that she would fit into my existing pack better, and that I would not have any issues with her and Star - which I never did. But knowing how both girls turned out, I actually think that either would have worked.
I think it depends what you are willing to live with, and if you take a puppy where you think there may be issues down the line, you need to be prepared to deal with it if it comes up.
Today I am more willing to deal with differences, and so I might not worry about that so much - but I am looking for something specific for performance - so would probably take that over "pick puppy" from a conformation perspective.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:02:12 AM by RocketBoxer »
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 03:32:35 PM »
I think that it comes down to what is most important to you and what your willing to live with. If you go with the first pick sometime in the future you may be looking at having to separate dogs, but you may have to do that no matter which one you take.  Boxers are just not the best pack dogs. If the dogs you have at home are really young you may be separating for 5-7 years. Are you OK with that? Or are you OK with placing the pick and waiting for a dog that will better suit you house with better confirmation?

With pick number two you are you going to be really disappointed with a dog that may not make it in the show ring, but could be used as a dog in your breeding program down the road?

When I brought Bella home I knew that there was a chance that Zoey would not like her. Zoey dose not like other bitches and she does not like Bella, but I also took in to account that Zoey is 7 and has lymphoma. :( I will not be spending years and years of keeping the separate.
When I brought Mic home I knew that Bart might not put up with him for to long. He did for about 14 months. Then I had to separate. They were only a year and a half apart in age so I was thinking that I would be keeping apart for years, but then I lost Bart at five. I went into both situations knowing that I may have to separate and was OK with it. My only suggestion is to make sure you are not at an odd number. I think 2 boys and 2 girls are best.  That way 1 is not odd dog out.