Author Topic: same sex fighting  (Read 4149 times)

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
same sex fighting
« on: August 14, 2012, 01:10:11 PM »
Maybe it happens and I do not hear about it much but I have wondered if other breeds have the same problems with same sex pairs fighting .

I realize all dogs are different and the temperment of each dog plays a role in whether they have squabbles or fights . But you always hear of boxer females and the major problems they have with other females ,and wanting to fight to the death .  I have heard of other breeds generally being dog aggressive in general to both male & females .

I have had 2 intact males together for a 5 years and no major issues occasional squabbles like when something causes them to be on alert in the yard and one grumbles at the other so he could have the prime spot to check out who was there . Never anything I could not handle .

And while Titan did get into a few fights which drew blood against another dog it was always protecting us never outward aggression just because another dog was nearby .

I had 2 females for only a short time and Edy was a puppy when Charlotte died so I never had the younger female coming into maturity and living with an older female .

I just always wonder if this F/F fighting is more of a boxer thing .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
Re: same sex fighting
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 02:30:53 PM »
I think all breeds have same sex fighting. I have always been told that 2 male dogs will fight to dominate 2 female dogs will fight to the death. Of course not all female dogs will fight I think it is just the most dominant females.  :shrug:
"Dogs are not our whole life,They make our life whole"
Piper we miss you baby girl, but you live on in our hearts.

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 03:27:12 PM »
Little Ann and Sparky were both females from the same litter, they could barely be together in the same room.  Little Ann ripped half of Sparky's ear off, and several other times they drew blood on eachother, every time they would go for blood.  They were both chow mixes.  The saying boys fight and forget about it, girls fight to the death was absolutely true for them. 

Jasmine is a little ditch puppy, she doesn't get along well with other females either.  It really started when she was coming of age, about 1.5-2 years old. 

I think it's across all breeds, something to do with hormones  ::)  I don't get along well with other females either  :laugh4:
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 03:34:36 PM »
Precious doesn't discriminate, she'll fight male or female.  She will go up lick them on the mouth and then want to rear up and play.  If the other dog (doesn't matter breed or sex) doesn't like it and growls at her, gives her the eye or lunges it is off to the fights. :mad:
Joyce

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 03:46:50 PM »
Ok Christina are you saying that you do not play well with others?  :laugh4: My mom has been telling me that I don't for years. Lol

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 04:34:31 PM »
I think it's a general thing. I know some same sex pairs (other breeds) that get along well and some don't. I also know some same sex boxer pairs that get along, and some don't. I think most of it has to do with the dynamics of the "pack." I don't consider most anything to be "just boxers" but to be dogs in general. I think we tend to say, "oh that's a boxer for ya" but honestly, if you've owned or been around other breeds, you do see lots of similarities. Even boxer play, I've seen in labs, in berners, and goldens. So, I don't really think there is such a thing as "it's a boxer issue" but can be a same sex issue. I'd even go as far to say that different breeds but same sex can run into the same issue as well.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Eilene

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 04:36:03 PM »
Tequila and bailey (rip) always got along and never had a fight...lUna and nala play fight but so far it is play...
Eilene
Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber,Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 05:26:23 PM »
I totally agree with dawn. Boxers and great danes are a lot alike. During the time that I was rescuing great danes we had several female on female fights. A friend of mine raises english mastiffs and she has the same problem. I also believe it has a lot to do with hormones. I have had 3 female dogs in my house for about 4 years now. Until daisy came along there were no problems with fighting.

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 05:28:33 PM »
I meant to say that I agree with Dawn's statement about it is never just a boxer things.

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 06:24:38 PM »
Ok Christina are you saying that you do not play well with others?  :laugh4: My mom has been telling me that I don't for years. Lol

Exactly!  :laugh4: well, I play well with the opposite sex .That's how I ended up with a male roommate. Even working in rescue, they would always recommend an opposite sex pairing.

I definitely think it's just a dog thing.
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 11:08:30 AM »
I know Dobes have the issue, and many Dobe breeders won't place a male in a home with another male. In my experience with Boxers, it's truly more of an individual personality issue, but a generalization is that two males are more likely to fight, but two females will fight more seriously. But I have a female who doesn't like anyone so there are no hard-and-fast rules!
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
Precious doesn't like any others unless they let her be the boss.  None whatsoever around food.  She is a little bully.
Joyce

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 01:29:11 PM »
When I first looked to adopt from the rescue they said they usually didn't adopt a female to a home with another female. But since Zoe was so laid back they agreed to let her and Ariel meet...it was love at first site for those two.  Zoe and Abby never had any issues either. But I would be hesitant on bringing another female in with Abby, she can be very ridgid to dogs she doesn't know.  I think it has more to do with the personality then female to female...just my uneducated opinion.  ;D
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Sir Duke

• Potty Trained
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 02:39:23 PM »
I have never had an issue with Duke and Spike.  Best buds from the beginning !!!

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 08:39:17 AM »
I have honestly had more problems with male-female fighting than anything else, so I think a lot depends on the temperaments of the dogs in question. I have never had 2 intact males so can't talk to that, but I have had 2 girls and they lived in harmony their whole lives - but as I said in another post, I was careful about temperament when I picked the 2nd girl to stay in my house. But considering how the other girl turned out I think either would have worked.
I have plenty of friends with 2 girls - and none of them have any issues with them fighting. I have some friends with 2 intact males that get along, but others that don't.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 09:01:06 AM by RocketBoxer »
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."