Author Topic: Junior handling in obedience  (Read 2140 times)

odeya

• Best Avatar & Best Show-Off Photos - 2008; Most Optimistic Member - 2009
  • Socialized
Junior handling in obedience
« on: August 03, 2012, 11:01:01 AM »
My 11yo thinks he would like to train Jack, and try to get his CD title. They work quite well together, but I have no idea how to get started. I'm guessing an obedience class, but honestly I'm not sure he has the ability/maturity to work with Jack around other dogs. I wonder if I should do a class or two with Jack first to work on calming him around other dogs - he gets a little...insane...around them.

We've done several obedience classes in the past, but it's been a while, and Jack hasn't had the socialization he could use. It's more than a little difficult to haul four kids and a crazy dog out in public, lol.

Does anyone know how junior handling works? I looked around the AKC's site, but am interested in hearing from someone with experience.

Jack & Freya

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Re: Junior handling in obedience
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 11:20:32 AM »
I've been to two trials where there was a JR Handler. They compete just like the rest of us, no special consideration, etc. Both qualified and one won a special award at our trial (we had awards for certain things like, "top scoring lab, highest scoring working dog, etc" and she won in one of those categories since her breed was the only one represented at the trial). I can't remember what title she earned that day either - I think maybe a CD, and I do remember the last trial, the kid was going for his beginner novice. He barely qualified and had a really hard time in the ring. I think his nerves got the best of him.

As far as rules, I'm not sure if there is a certain age requirement. I think both the handlers I had seen were probably between 11 - 13. I'm not sure if there was a special consent form or anything either. I honestly haven't looked on the applications for trials, since this really doesn't effect me.

My recommendation tho would be to get him back into classes yourself, but take your son with you. Let him be a part of the class, while you mainly handle so that Jack gets used to being around and working with the other dogs while there is someone a bit stronger at the other end of the leash to help keep him in control. But, let Caleb work with him during the class too. It would be a great experience for everyone.

I think it's a great idea and hope you go forward with it. Also, talk to whatever club you are working with and see what they say as far as a junior handler in competition. I'm sure someone may have an idea.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

SaharaNight Boxers

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 12:55:24 PM »
Juniors compete alongside the adults. There is a special sheet that has to be filled out though if points are earned towards a title (excluding conformation). Juniors starts at age 9 and ends at 18. I would let him do the classes as long as you think he's able to control him. A Junior can be dq'ed for not having control of their dog.

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 01:54:03 PM »
I would do a few classes with him yourself to get him use to working around other dogs again. The better trained Jack is the more your son is going to enjoy working with him. You want to make it as fun and positive an experience as possible for him. If Jack goes all wild man on him he may not want to continue with it.

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 02:10:10 PM »
I would do a few classes with him yourself to get him use to working around other dogs again. The better trained Jack is the more your son is going to enjoy working with him. You want to make it as fun and positive an experience as possible for him. If Jack goes all wild man on him he may not want to continue with it.
That's a very good point! Being in the public situation can be very stressful and you would want to get Jack used to working in that environment before really allowing Caleb to move in on his own. It may take one full set of classes, but may only take a class or two before you feel confident that your son can handle it. I know I first started training when I was about 12 or 13 with my GSD puppy. He was a MESS! A HOT mess!!! Out of control. Wild. Super Hyper and just wanted to play. The other pups in the class were a bit older and of course, I was the youngest in the class too. So trying to "compete" in class against the older people with more controlled dogs, did get VERY overwhelming with me. Many days I left the class in tears of frustration. But, I persisted and moved on and at the end of the session, we earned "Most Improved Dog" out of the entire club. It was really neat and is what got me motivated and to where I am today. Not many clubs do that - we basically had a "test," in front of other instructors (aka "judges") and they all tallied scores at the end of the day out of all of the classes that were tested, and I was SHOCKED when we got that award. I cried. LOL

So even tho it was frustrating with a little puppy, I can imagine with a dog sorta set in his ways. I'd definitely go and try to be the main handler, atlest for the first few classes and see how it goes. Let Caleb do alot of the things he wants to try and then slowly let him have at it. I bet it will be wonderful for both him and jack.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 03:13:33 PM »
I agree with Dawn.  Don't forget, we need pics, video and lots of commentary.  Jack will be a good boy, just look at his face, how could he not be.  Right Dawn, that little angel of yours could do no wrong either :mad:
Joyce

odeya

• Socialized
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 11:25:13 AM »
Thanks for the additional information :)!
Jack & Freya

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 11:59:25 AM »
Do you have 4H dog training near you? That might be a good way for Caleb to start working with Jack.  They also have shows where it is all kids competing against kids.  They are less formal and the qualifications are less strict (i.e. heeling doesn't have to be as precise, etc).

Is Caleb on Facebook? (I don't know what age parents let kids sign up)... A group was just formed for training Boxers to do "tricks" and a lot of them are foundation exercises for obedience/agility.  It's done online so it's something he could do at home as a supplement to classes.  I'm sure you could post on his behalf if he doesn't have a FB account.  We work on a trick (or part of a trick) a week and so far it's been walking backwards and sitting up on their haunches.  Catching a ball balanced on the nose was actually one of those, and I saw he's already trained that!  :thumbsup: Let me know if you are interested and I'll send you an invite!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 11:16:47 AM »
Getting involved with 4H is a great idea if there is one near you.

Another good idea would be to start off with a CGC class - where that is what they are training for, and then at the end of the class you take the CGC test. I think that is a great place to get started. It is pretty easy to put a CGC on a dog - they just need some basic skills - and I would think that putting a fairly easy title on Jack would give him some confidence to go forward.

I do think that maybe if both of you go to the first set of classes - maybe just general obedience classes to get Jack used to working around other dogs that would be a good thing.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

odeya

• Socialized
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 10:03:55 AM »
I don't know about 4H training, that might be something to look into. Caleb's not on fb, I think the age for that is 13 and I refuse to allow my kids to get on before that, because I get so tired of all the friend requests I get from young kids, lol. But sure, send me an invite, and I could join for him.

I have put a CGC on a couple of dogs in the past, and I thought about having him start with that. My trainer used to offer a class specifically for that, but I'm not sure if he still does.
Jack & Freya

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 12:11:06 PM »
Maybe it has changed but I remember that you have to be the owner of the dog in order to compete with them in obed . Not a big deal as you could add him as a co-owner if it is also a requirement for jr's .
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 02:22:17 PM by Bruins_Boxer »
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

SaharaNight Boxers

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 02:19:12 PM »
I believe you have to be the owner, daughter, son, niece, or nephew of the dogs owner to be eligible. Maybe granddaughter or grandson I believe too.