Author Topic: CGC to Become an "Official" AKC Title  (Read 1582 times)

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
CGC to Become an "Official" AKC Title
« on: August 01, 2012, 02:03:44 PM »
http://images.akc.org/cgc/new_title.pdf

This is VERY cool. As of january 2013, you will be able to apply CGC on record for AKC. As it is now, AKC does not recognize the CGC title, but that will soon change. There is a "fee"  involved with officially getting on your AKC record, but hey...the way I see it, you work  hard for a CGC, it's totally worth the $20 fee. To get the certificate, you have to pay $8 anyway.

Even dogs that are registered with the AKC and have already received this title as of January 2001, will be eligible to add this to their name as well. As it stands now, Grady is only recognized with AKC as Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA, even tho he earned his CGC. I will pay to have that CGC added "officially" to his name! Yet another title he so deserves, especially since it was his first one.

LOVE it!
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
Re: CGC to Become an "Official" AKC Title
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 02:33:06 PM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 03:14:43 PM »
 :thumbsup:
"Dogs are not our whole life,They make our life whole"
Piper we miss you baby girl, but you live on in our hearts.

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 06:20:20 PM »
 :thumbsup: Cool!

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 09:47:04 AM »
 :thumbsup:
Joyce

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 09:54:49 AM »
Good news  :thumbsup:
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 12:29:04 PM »
I have to admit, I actually have mixed feelings about this - I've seen so many tests where the people gave teams a "gimme" ... they were trying hard but the dog didn't really do what was required.  Titles have always been things you have to earn, things you need to do consistently (at least 3 successful shows).  A single-instance test just isn't the same thing.

On the other hand, if making it a "title" gets people interested in earning more titles and they train their dog more, I'm 100% for that, even if they never set foot in a ring.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 01:38:42 PM »
I can definitely see your point. How many times do people say, "I can't believe he passed. He totally messed up xyz?" Some stories I've heard, even I was like...there is no way that dog should have passed. But, I also look at it as a chance for people to be more interested in working and earning it the right way. Also, we know that the title is usually for very wet dogs, often time young pups just getting started. Would be nice to have that lil piece of encouragement to go along with it.

I remember reading somewhere that you should have your dog retested every 3 years. It wasn't a requirement, but more of a recommendation. I wonder if that would be the case for the dogs that passed since 2001? I could see it being one of those things that might come in handy down the future if you want to hang onto that title....or atleast earn extra points for it, like an RAE or CDX or UDX, etc.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12