Author Topic: Early Detection for Cancer  (Read 2349 times)

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Early Detection for Cancer
« on: July 26, 2012, 03:07:10 PM »
http://www.wearethecure.org/blood-test-for-canine-cancer

I haven't been able to completely read through this yet, but this is AMAZING news from what I can tell. There is now a blood test to help with early detection of cancer for our dogs! This is such a breakthrough and is so amazing!

Thank you National Canine Cancer Foundation! I'm sure Grady, as well as many of our other pets, are smiling down at this news today!! Simply amazing! :) We are one step closer to fighting this disease!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 03:14:10 PM by Rubidawg »
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Early Detection for Cancer
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 03:55:10 PM »
That is great news.

Moderators:  Can you sticky this for future reference.
Thanks
Joyce

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 04:47:27 PM »
This is awesome news. :thumbsup: Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention. I will be speaking with my veterinarian in the morning to make sure that she has this test on hand.
"Dogs are not our whole life,They make our life whole"
Piper we miss you baby girl, but you live on in our hearts.

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 04:55:00 PM »
It really is, isn't it?! Seriously....happy tears for me all day.

After glancing at it a bit more - it's more so if there is a suspicion and can detect if markers are present for it. So, the great news is that if there your dog is sick and "cancer" is one of the options, sounds like they can give the blood test for it and hopefully catch things very early on - before it takes over and makes things harder to treat/manager. Great news because if it is detected, you can start treating right away and hopefully prevent it from getting worse or atleast provide a longer life (and in some cases, maybe even CURE!). If this was available when Grady had his tummy issues last September and they told us hemangiosarcoma then, we probably could have found out that he really was about to be hit with histiocytic sarcoma (two different, yet equally horrific cancers) earlier on and perhaps gotten him on a better diet, done chemo while he was healthy, etc. All those great opportunities that you miss out when you find out too late. Altho, we were very fortunate with finding Grady's before it spread and starting treatment right away, had we known sooner, we might have been able to slow things down a bit more. This is WONDERFUL for all the other dogs out there that might be in that situation. Early detection is key and this is really a tremendous stride in fighting this terrible disease! This makes me so happy!
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 06:23:25 PM »
This is great news!

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 08:46:05 PM »
Great news! Now if only they find better ways to fight and beat it!
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 07:47:49 AM »
That is great news.

Moderators:  Can you sticky this for future reference.
Thanks

Will do! This is very exciting news....I wish we could have caught Zoe's cancer sooner...the outcome might have been different.
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 08:35:08 PM »
I wonder if we would have thought to run this sort of test when Xena first started acting weird and her X-ray showed none of the spondylosis the vet expected.  I'm so glad to have it available if I ever need it!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 10:07:10 PM »
I wonder if this could be a test to run on a yearly basis. Might be able to  detect cancer  before it shows its symptoms
"Dogs are not our whole life,They make our life whole"
Piper we miss you baby girl, but you live on in our hearts.