Author Topic: problems with Daisy  (Read 1661 times)

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
problems with Daisy
« on: July 15, 2012, 01:32:45 PM »
Ok so I have started to have some behavior issues with Daisy. She is starting to be aggressive with my other two dogs. This morning she attacked my Bassett over the dog bed. At first I thought it was just a little squabble but she did it again and brought blood. Now my bassett is terrified to even be in the same room with her and my cocker feels like she has to be on guard and protect the Bassette. What should I do? Do you think the obedience classes will help with this issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
"Dogs are not our whole life,They make our life whole"
Piper we miss you baby girl, but you live on in our hearts.

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
Re: problems with Daisy
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 05:01:06 PM »
OB classes would be a good start  .  But ,  I am thinking akso maybe a behaviroist to .   She is at the age of where she will try and make her way up the ladder to be leader of the pack .    Lots of NILIF ( nothing in life is free )  work ,  make her work for anything that is of high value ( toys , the dog bed , her meals ) . 

Next time she behaves badly put her in a time out like a kennel  .  Do not let her have the item that she is fighting over .   Watch for any eye contact that Daisy maybe giving .  If you see her staring down the other dogs tell her to leave it ( in a stern voice )  .   

Are your other to dogs Girls ?   If so she may not be compatible with other bitches .     How old was she when you got her ?     

Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 05:24:41 PM »
I have only had her for two weeks now. I am scheduled to start with a trainer this coming week. This lady also has a bachelors degree in animal behavior. I spoke with her a little while ago and she wants to do a few one on one sessions with Daisy and I before we start the group classes. She said if need be we will bring my other two in and work with all of them. The other two are spayed females that get along with every dog they come in contact with. I really hope this works out. I love Daisy to death. Thanks for your response. I've never had this problem before. The only aggression problems I have delt with were with the great dane rescue and all of those we're aggressive towards people. Not many of them ended well and it always broke my heart. Daisy was bullied alot in her former home and I think maybe that has something to do with it. I guess I just have to get her moving forward and not looking back. I have a feeling there will be a lot of firsts for me with her.

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 07:32:43 PM »
Many times a dog will not show it's true personality until a few week of being in the new home .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 07:56:00 PM »
For the short-term, I would focus on controlling the resources around the house that are valuable to the dogs - especially Daisy.  What those are varies by dog, it could be food, beds, toys, attention.  Depending on the situation, you may need to remove the items from their reach unless you are closely monitoring them.  Using "nothing in life is free", you need to ask them to do something to earn the rights to the coveted items.  How much you ask for depends on their training.  Delta is just learning things, so she has to sit for most items.  Dash has more training so he might have to sit/stay, down/stay, or do a series of commands.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 09:54:04 PM »
So far it has just been the dog bed. I have three but for some reason they all want the same one. I have moved them all to different locations and monitored who was in which one.  I have been working with her on some commands and she now knows sit and down. This is just one more way of reinforcing those two commands. The funny part is that the bed they want is the old one that hardly has any stuffing left and the sides don't stand up anymore. I guess I just don't see what they see in that bed. I can't bring myself to throw it away because they like it so well. It might be a good idea to get rid of it and get one just like the other two that I have. Just like kids, one wants what the other one has lol.