Author Topic: Koda passed the AD endurance test on June 17  (Read 6222 times)

Soleil

• Vet Checked
    • Soleil Boxers Home Page
Re: Koda passed the AD endurance test on June 17
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 04:12:52 PM »
That is awesome, happy you were finally able to do it! (and to hear that cardio was WAY off!)  He looks VERY handsome with his medal.  Do you have a next title in mind?

Out of curiosity, I checked to see if any other boxer had that combo of titles - there isn't a good way to look it up since the titles are given by 2 different venues, but it looks like there is at least one:  Sunchase's Suicide Blonde "Chili"... she is (was?) owned by Tracy Hendrickson, which isn't really surprising.  Tracy does a little bit of everything and puts a lot of titles on nearly every dog she owns.  Chili's page on Tracy's site: http://www.sunchaseboxers.com/pages/3/page3.html

i want one like that!  doing it all :) :thumbsup:
*Soleil Boxers*
"Trucker" Lock n Load Armor, BH, ZTP

Forever in our hearts:
Ch.Shelterwoods Femme Fatale,TT (12.17.03-07.28.12 cancer)
Shelterwood's Golden Gloves,RN,CGC (8.13.02-10.31.12 cancer

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2012, 05:35:53 PM »
WTG Koda!!! I would defenitly find a new cardio vet. Maybe call the local kennel club or boxer club and find out who they are using.

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2012, 08:05:25 PM »
I want to take him to a new cardiologist, saying nothing about his previous history with echos to get an unbiased opinion.  Do you know of a good one in Michigan?

We go to Dr. Brown -- he had I believe his fellowship with Dr. Meurs and has a particular interest in Boxers, he's been working with some of our club members on some independent research on ARVC. It would be a hike for you, of course, but personally, I'd make the drive over the other cardiologists in the state! (He does have an associate, Dr. DeSana -- I've only seen her once so far and was perfectly happy with her, she was board certified in 2009 but did her 3-year residency with Dr. Brown prior to that. In your case, though, because of the issues you had before, I'd be inclined to say you should request Dr. Brown, just because he's had so much more experience.)

www.vetcardiologyconsultants.com

Thanks, Jennifer.   I've emailed Dr. Brown asking about setting up an echo appointment with him.

That is awesome, happy you were finally able to do it! (and to hear that cardio was WAY off!)  He looks VERY handsome with his medal.  Do you have a next title in mind?

Out of curiosity, I checked to see if any other boxer had that combo of titles - there isn't a good way to look it up since the titles are given by 2 different venues, but it looks like there is at least one:  Sunchase's Suicide Blonde "Chili"... she is (was?) owned by Tracy Hendrickson, which isn't really surprising.  Tracy does a little bit of everything and puts a lot of titles on nearly every dog she owns.  Chili's page on Tracy's site: http://www.sunchaseboxers.com/pages/3/page3.html
Thanks, Julia.  That Chili sure is something!  Yes, I do have a next title in mind, RA, which out of all those titles I do not see listed after Chili's name.  Koda's pretty much ready for it now, heels off leash almost as well as on but needs some work going over jumps and then returning to heel position, instead getting excited by the jump and then wanting to run and play.  It shouldn't take long to fix that and not only do I have his next title planned but the next several.  I'm simultaneously training him for the BH and CD as well as finishing him in Rally, with RE after RA, would like to do all that this year plus we are pursuing another secret title which won't be announced until it's completed, if we manage to do it.

Thanks again, everyone!  Koda is such a great Boxer. :smitten:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 08:09:13 PM by Lisa »
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2012, 08:37:50 PM »
That's because Rally wasn't introduced until January 2005, I suspect Chili was retired by then  ;) 

Very cool that you are going to continue to work with him.  I'd be curious to hear if you notice any differences in his heeling when you stop Rally and focus only on Obedience (both venues).  I found that Xena's heeling was much smoother once we stopped practicing the start-stop of Rally. 

Do you already have a date or trial in mind? 
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2012, 09:17:29 PM »
I see an RN in those titles. ;)
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2012, 11:40:27 PM »
That's because Rally wasn't introduced until January 2005, I suspect Chili was retired by then  ;)

Nope, Chili's page says she was still competing in autumn 2006 so clearly the only excuse is that she couldn't handle that ultra-tough RA competition.  ;)

Very cool that you are going to continue to work with him.  I'd be curious to hear if you notice any differences in his heeling when you stop Rally and focus only on Obedience (both venues).  I found that Xena's heeling was much smoother once we stopped practicing the start-stop of Rally.  

Do you already have a date or trial in mind?
The heeling difference will be interesting to me, too.  Here are some trials I'm considering (most have more than one day of Rally competition and I just linked one of the days):

http://www.infodog.com/clubs/2012024204.HTM

http://www.infodog.com/clubs/2012039203.HTM

http://www.infodog.com/clubs/2012527513.HTM

http://www.infodog.com/clubs/2012034104.HTM

http://www.infodog.com/clubs/2012498106.HTM

http://www.infodog.com/clubs/2012062513.HTM

The last link is an Obedience entry form, since I hope by that time Koda is ready to be going for his CD.  It's also a nice facility, not too far from here, where he earned his RN and we'll almost definitely enter that one since while I'm doing all this with Koda Mukki is getting started in Rally, and that show has three days of both Obedience and Rally.  Mukki is great at obedience (and tracking).
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:48:57 PM by Lisa »

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »
I wouldn't assume she couldn't handle it - probably just focussed on other titles after earning the one in Rally Novice. ;) Not eveyrone is a fan of Rally.

I agree with Julia, once Grady and I stepped out of Rally our heeling and our focus improved immensely. He enjoyed rally and I think it did help with his (and my) confidence in the ring and also got us some great practice (and without rally, we wouldn't have had the beautiful rear end exercises (left turns, 180's, 360's, pivots, etc) that we did - altho you still get them in obedience, I think some of those exercises pushed us more to do rear end work.

I'll be going into rally with Bauer, but it won't be my focus either. We may go up to RA, but we'll be more focussed on obedience and agility this time around. I think Rally is great to get you going and it was interesting to me that once we stepped out of it, how much better we got at the other stuff. I wish we had gotten a chance to go for our CD. I think Grady would have rocked it.  :thumbsup:
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 05:44:12 PM »
I was just kidding about her not being able to handle it, hence the wink after that sentence.  I'm pretty sure based on all her other titles that Chili could have easily gotten an RA and RE had her owner attempted it.

I'm not a big fan of Rally either, just using it to get started in AKC as advised by our obedience trainer, and am glad to hear that with both Grady and Xena, their heeling improved once out of Rally.  I wish Grady had had the chance to go for a CD too as I'm sure he would have done great.  Mukki heels beautifully, loves to look up at my face as she prances along, but while Koda will stay with me in position pretty well, he has much less focus and looks all around.

My ideal top focuses are obedience, agility and protection work but it's almost impossible to find a Boxer with the right temperament for protection work who meets all my other criteria, plus the right trainer, so I may be 70 or 80 before I title a dog in that, LOL, but I'm determined to get it done.  Mukki might be able to but would need an exceptional trainer and I don't know of one anywhere near me.  Her top thing, along with obedience, is tracking, should start a new thread about that.  I took her to a one-day seminar and she completely kicked butt, went from basically no experience to following a track a few hundred yards long over varied surfaces with lots of turns aged a few hours which had been criss-crossed multiple times by a bunch of other people and dogs, indicating several articles along the way.  It was almost like she knew what to do on her own without training.  Too bad tracking is rather boring to me, fun to play around with in the forest with my dogs but I don't have much interest in the competition.

Koda has an echo appointment with Dr. Brown on  August 8.  :)

Good luck with Bauer!

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 12:08:42 PM »
OK, since I currently have too much time on my hands, I started to wonder when Chili earned her RN.  Tracy is so driven to compete, it seemed odd that she only got an RN on her unless she'd retired her.  Which is how I found out that Chili actually received her RA on October 2007, just three months before she passed away.  I'm guessing that is why her page wasn't updated, too painful to go back to it. 

I found the info on this really cool site - probably someone mentioned it before I just forgot it - it lists all dog show info for AKC Obed, Rally, and Agility (not conf. or tracking) ... here is Chili's page: http://www.dogshowscores.com/dogs/WP72065804   (I looked up Xena's after.. aww)

It looks like by 2005, Tracy was showing her exclusively at her club's trials or Boxer specialties.  I'm guessing Chili was technically "retired" because a lot of people I know will "support the entry" of a show by entering an otherwise retired dog.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 01:35:13 PM »
Holy Crap, is that not so impressive!!!! :o

Quite the girl. :thumbsup: Well-rounded for sure.

I like that site too! Also looked up Grady's! <sniff sniff> but how cool to have one easy record of that. Matter of fact, I do think someone in our club sent that out a while back too.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 02:32:10 PM »
OK then, so Koda will have to get his RE before he has a title that Chili does not have.  :)  It's too bad we wasted so much time with crazy disorganized Schutzhund people or he'd have already finished in Rally and probably have a CD and more titles by now.  Also too bad he's not into tracking or he could get an FH, another title Chili doesn't appear to have.  Mukki could easily get Schutzhund tracking titles but I doubt I'll pay the $100 per year after this year to stay a member of UScA just for that, so if I do tracking with Mukki it will be AKC.  I'm hoping for her to get a BH before my membership runs out this year, and an AD possibly but conditions would have to be perfect, cool bordering on cold because she doesn't have nearly as much endurance or heat tolerance as Koda does.  Thanks for the info.

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2012, 09:47:25 PM »
Thank you, Jennifer!  We had our echocardiogram with Dr. Brown today.  I told him Koda had been echo'd three times before with a different result every time but not what specific problems other vets had detected.  He listened to his heart, heard a Grade 2 murmur which even my regular vet has been aware of for over a year.  But then they did the echo (which I got to watch and even pet and help hold Koda still while watching his heart images on the screen, that was nice, previous cardiologist wouldn't let me see any of her echos) and he said Koda's heart looks great, couldn't find any problems at all, making the murmur "normal."  When I told him Koda had been diagnosed with Dilated Cardiomyopathy and the whole story of the other cardiologist saying that at first, six months later saying it looked better but still not normal and six months after that saying it looked normal and that she'd used the wrong measurements on the previous two echos but still wouldn't give him an OFA Normal rating because of the previous abnormalities which were based on wrong measurements and I gave him supplements which she told me wouldn't help in the first place and advised against which made no sense to either me or Dr. Brown.  He said especially combined with Koda's multiple clear holters, high activity level and endurance there is no reason not to certify him as Normal so that's what he did.  :)

I almost don't want to send the form in because then he's on record as a dog with an OFA normal heart which might help his breeder, who has ignored me ever since I bought him, not even responding when I emailed her about him being diagnosed with heart problems, besides apparently ignoring Koda ever since she got her deposit because he wasn't socialized at all when I picked him up, was scared of everything and just wanted to hide.  I've been told he doesn't have enough angulation in his hips and his sire was OFA hip only Fair, dam untested, so maybe I'll have his hips tested and only send in the results if they're bad, LOL.

I told Dr. Brown you referred me and that I'd be bringing all my future Boxers to him for echos.  I'm so glad he found no problems with my boy.  :smitten:

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2012, 10:11:22 PM »
That is such good news!!! I am so happy for you. :partybanana:
"Dogs are not our whole life,They make our life whole"
Piper we miss you baby girl, but you live on in our hearts.

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2012, 09:29:16 AM »
congratulations :thumbsup:
Joyce

aquagirl900

• Socialized
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2012, 12:39:47 PM »
OMG thats awesome!  So glad to hear Koda is "normal"