Author Topic: Koda passed the AD endurance test on June 17  (Read 6521 times)

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
Koda passed the AD endurance test on June 17
« on: July 15, 2012, 12:31:16 AM »
For anyone unfamiliar, this test consists of riding a bike with your dog alongside at 7-9MPH for 12 miles, with two 15-20 minute breaks along the way when they are given water and time to rest plus are examined by the judge who determines whether they are fit enough to continue.  Then at the end there is some obedience, in this case we just heeled a bit at different paces, so the judge could see that the exertion hadn't worn out the dog so much that he couldn't follow basic commands.

At long last (due entirely to different Trials repeatedly canceling their AD tests, three times last autumn and once this spring before this one was actually conducted), the elusive AD title has been acquired. Yay Koda! He did great especially considering the conditions. I drove overnight to get to the Trial and instead of sleeping like I thought he would, he paced and panted pretty much the whole way. I also fed him about double his usual amount the day before, wanting him to have plenty of energy plus he's a little thin, though I didn't feed him anything on the day of the test until after it was over. We got started around 7AM when it was just under 70 degrees and it was fine except for the rough gravel surface, along trails through a public recreation area (after the first 5 miles when the judge examined him he mentioned one foot showing some wear, they fail if they show any blood at all and after that I tried to keep Koda on the grass alongside the trail rather than on it, the judge didn't mention any foot problems in the following two exams and they all looked fine when we got home), and we encountered many other people with dogs along the way. Koda is good with traffic but we had never trained around other dogs besides Mukki. There was only one other competitor, a GSD (who also passed) and Koda got used to him pretty quickly but every new dog he would pull toward and try to meet. Then he had to defecate part way through the test and now I think I fed him too much the day before and he would have done better carrying less in his digestive system. Finally it got as high as about 87 toward the end of the test, Koda doesn't really like it if it's above 80 (neither do I!) and I didn't train him in temperatures that high. I'm sure glad we don't live in that area. But he handled it all at least as well as the Shepherd, when Shepherds are usually much better in high temperatures than Boxers, seemed to enjoy the experience overall except the heat and got several compliments about what a nice Boxer he is. :)

Here he is proudly displaying the medallion he was awarded. I wonder if any other Boxer has this combination of titles, with both AD and TT being so rare. Next up, RA which Koda could easily be ready for with a few weeks of training. :)

I recorded the whole test with my head-mountable camera but it's taking forever to upload to YouTube with power and internet outages, however brief, causing me to have to start the 2.5 hour video upload over repeatedly especially since my satellite internet connection is so slow.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:37:59 AM by Lisa »
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
Re: Koda passed the AD endurance test on June 17
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 01:05:26 AM »
Congratulations!!!!!!!
"Dogs are not our whole life,They make our life whole"
Piper we miss you baby girl, but you live on in our hearts.

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 09:01:41 AM »
Congrats! And this is the dog diagnosed with "dilated cardiomyopathy" a couple of years ago. Yeah, right! ;)
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 09:17:09 AM »
Congrats! That is fabulous  :thumbsup:
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 09:28:44 AM »
Congratulations to you and Koda!  He looks great!
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

LOVEBUG

• Potty Trained
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 10:26:42 AM »
Congratulations! Job well done! :thumbsup:

Cindy: Mom to Porsha, & Tyson.
          Chowder 4/2000 - 9/7/2013

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 05:07:52 PM »
 :thumbsup:  Great Job to you both   :thumbsup:
Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 08:04:32 PM »
WTG Koda!
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Lisa

• Socialized
  • My pack, 5/27/12
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 11:56:34 PM »
Congrats! And this is the dog diagnosed with "dilated cardiomyopathy" a couple of years ago. Yeah, right! ;)
Thanks and yeah, I don't trust that cardiologist, don't plan to use her for any more echos.  She's young and can't have much experience, especially with Boxers, or extremely fit, athletic dogs and I think she mistook Koda's big, strong, healthy heart for an abnormally enlarged one.  And then at his third and most recent echo when he tested normal she revealed that she had used the wrong measurement guidelines in his first two echos, if she'd used the right ones his first one would have been equivocal instead of abnormal, he would not have been diagnosed with DC and both his second and third would have been normal.  I want to take him to a new cardiologist, saying nothing about his previous history with echos to get an unbiased opinion.  Do you know of a good one in Michigan?

Thanks everyone!  The club finally posted the Trial results on their site:

http://www.buroakhundesport.com/

I hope for him to get his BH this autumn and then be done with Schutzhund/IPO stuff with him except when we're playing around for fun since, while he will do some protection work and likes it, he doesn't have the right temperament for a protection title and isn't much into tracking.  So then we'll be focusing on AKC.  :)
Artax, male Retriever mix, 11/1/99
Koda, CGC RN TT AD, male brindle, 10/10/08
Mukki, CGC, female fawn, 4/20/10

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 08:48:40 AM »
Congrats!!
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

Eilene

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 09:01:40 AM »
 :thumbsup: Congrats
Eilene
Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber,Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

Newcastle

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 10:15:38 AM »
I want to take him to a new cardiologist, saying nothing about his previous history with echos to get an unbiased opinion.  Do you know of a good one in Michigan?

We go to Dr. Brown -- he had I believe his fellowship with Dr. Meurs and has a particular interest in Boxers, he's been working with some of our club members on some independent research on ARVC. It would be a hike for you, of course, but personally, I'd make the drive over the other cardiologists in the state! (He does have an associate, Dr. DeSana -- I've only seen her once so far and was perfectly happy with her, she was board certified in 2009 but did her 3-year residency with Dr. Brown prior to that. In your case, though, because of the issues you had before, I'd be inclined to say you should request Dr. Brown, just because he's had so much more experience.)

www.vetcardiologyconsultants.com
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd

Soleil

• Vet Checked
    • Soleil Boxers Home Page
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 01:51:46 PM »
congrats!  great news!  Keep it up.
*Soleil Boxers*
"Trucker" Lock n Load Armor, BH, ZTP

Forever in our hearts:
Ch.Shelterwoods Femme Fatale,TT (12.17.03-07.28.12 cancer)
Shelterwood's Golden Gloves,RN,CGC (8.13.02-10.31.12 cancer

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 02:45:13 PM »
That is awesome, happy you were finally able to do it! (and to hear that cardio was WAY off!)  He looks VERY handsome with his medal.  Do you have a next title in mind?

Out of curiosity, I checked to see if any other boxer had that combo of titles - there isn't a good way to look it up since the titles are given by 2 different venues, but it looks like there is at least one:  Sunchase's Suicide Blonde "Chili"... she is (was?) owned by Tracy Hendrickson, which isn't really surprising.  Tracy does a little bit of everything and puts a lot of titles on nearly every dog she owns.  Chili's page on Tracy's site: http://www.sunchaseboxers.com/pages/3/page3.html
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Newcastle

• Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 03:20:49 PM »
I think Chili is the most-titled Boxer ever, certainly in the US!
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd