Author Topic: AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Class  (Read 2198 times)

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Class
« on: July 13, 2012, 09:16:06 AM »
Bauer starts his first official obedience class tomorrow. I'm so excited to get back out there with him. ;D We've been working quite a bit at home, on the basic stuff - sit, down, come, place, getting in heal position, rear end work, some fun tricks like spin, roll over, give paw, etc. He's so eager to learn and quick, that I can't wait to see how he does in a class setting. (I'm betting it's gonna be a real treat! :dizzy2: lol)

I've signed him up for the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy class. It's not with our club (we're off for the summer - no AC in the building), it's with another trainer, but it will be great to get him out and also get him with some other puppy dawgs. The STAR Puppy class is very similar to a CGC class - learning loose leash walking, letting people pet you, sit, down, noise distractions, etc. You do take a test during the class to make sure you can pass the basic skills and earn the STAR Puppy award. They do also include some puppy socialization after the class too, so it will be great.

He's also going to take an agility skills class in August with the trainer that worked with Grady and I (she was very sad when Grady passed and has been all over me about meeting Bauer, she's excited to see him). She's only allowing 4 dogs in the class, and it's just learning things like distractions, targets, etc. So, we'll be getting lots of fun stuff in before the club opens in the fall for the basic obedience stuff.

He's a smart lil guy, already has some good foundation in him already. I can't wait to see how he does in classes with all the other dogs and to see how we do through the coming months.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Class
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 09:22:14 AM »
I can't wait to watch him learn and compete in the future! He sounds like such a smart pup and I think he will be the STAR of the class! Good luck and let us know how he does!
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

Eilene

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 09:35:56 AM »
 :thumbsup:
Eilene
Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber,Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

LOVEBUG

• Potty Trained
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 09:49:21 AM »
Watch out world! Here comes the next super star! ;D

Cindy: Mom to Porsha, & Tyson.
          Chowder 4/2000 - 9/7/2013

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 10:42:32 AM »
Can't wait to hear about his new adventures!  ;D
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 11:33:22 AM »
Sounds great.  Have fun and post pics.
Joyce

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 11:41:45 AM »
I bet you are going to have a GREAT time in class with him  :thumbsup:  The agility class sounds awesome too with only 4 dogs - that should get you lots of attention.

Have fun!
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 12:52:01 PM »
Getting them out and about is so good for them. Sound like you have found a good trainer! Good luck in class!