Author Topic: Rules for competition  (Read 1756 times)

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
Rules for competition
« on: July 11, 2012, 11:44:26 PM »
What are the rules for obedience? Do they have to be AKC? I am looking for something for Daisy and I to do to strengthen our bond. I have been to training classes before but I was wondering if there are any competitions out there for she and I where registration doesn't matter.
"Dogs are not our whole life,They make our life whole"
Piper we miss you baby girl, but you live on in our hearts.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Rules for competition
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 08:25:49 AM »
If you are competing at AKC shows, your dog has to be either AKC registered or registered through the AKC "PAL" program.  PAL is Purebred Alternative Listing - it's a way for pet dogs w/out papers to be eligible for performance events (so everything but Conformation).  The dog has to be spayed/neutered to do it and the processing takes a while so you'd have to do that a  couple months before entering your first show. Show entries are generally due 2 weeks or more before the show actually happens.

There are other venues - ASCA, APDT and UKC come to mind.  I believe they each have some form of "registering" your dog that you have to do.  I'm pretty sure you can send in your ASCA registration with your first entry to a show.  The venues are less formal than AKC though most of the exercises for the different levels are the same. And ASCA often has two shows per day (morning/afternoon) so could you reasonably get your title in a weekend.

I haven't tried the other venues yet, but I like AKC and I like the challenge of their more formal approach.  My first girl, Xena, was a PAL dog - once you finish that paperwork w/the AKC, the experience is no different than competing with an "official" AKC dog.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 08:52:34 AM »
Thanks for the info. I will have to look into that. I used to show a dane in conformation and loved the competition. I alway wondered about obedience, everyone looked like they were having so much fun.

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 08:57:34 AM »
I 2nd all Julia said, especially with regards to being registered first, etc, but I'd suggest starting out by finding an AKC affiliated training club in your area. This will get you in with the right people who can help sorta mentor you along the way, and also teach the techniques you really need to have in order to compete. Competing takes alot of practice (often time - years), and working thru a competitive club can really get you off to the right start - rules, technique, understanding the formalities, etc. Also, by getting involved with the club, you can decide what you really want to start out with - there's Rally, Agility, Obedience and Tracking, etc. Rally is quite fun, as the rules are a bit less formal than obedience and is a great way to start out and strengthen that bond. I started in Rally before moving into obedience with Grady. We had a great time, he earned two Rally titles (Rally Novice-RN and Rally Advance-RA), and it really built up his confidence (and mine!) then we started working on the more formal obedience stuff  where he earned a Beginner Novice (BN) title just before he passed away! He LOVED working with me and it's truly a testiment to how sick he was, but how much he enjoyed doing what we did together. The dogs really do enjoy it too!. My new pup, Bauer, will also start out with Rally and most likely Beginner Novice - when he is ready. (and me, too! lol) He'll eventually do agility when he is old enough as well. Once you get bitten by the bug - you have the fever forever, lol. It can be addicting.

Then, when you think you're ready, attending and practicing in Show-N-Go's is a great way to know your level. These are sort of "practice trials" where you usually get about 5 minutes in the ring to go thru your run, there is someone there to crtique you, it's up to you if you want to use treats or not (they are not allowed in trials) and gives you a good idea of the things you need to work on. Also, just getting out to different trials and seeing what it's all about. If you get involved with the club, but aren't ready to compete, ask to volunteer at any trials they have coming up.

I give all this advice because really you'll want to start here before getting into the official rules of obedience, as the rules can vary based on the sport, the level, etc. Like Julia, I also compete in AKC and if that interests you, you can go to their website and find their rules there for all sports. Read through them and get a good understanding of what it involves. It really is ALOT of fun and altho the nerves can get to ya, it can be frustrating when you are so close to qualifying and you work so hard and something happens that you NQ, some of the people can really be uptight and stuffy about it....but truly, it's about you and your dog and it's so awesome to get out there and just be a team.

I wouldn't mind eventually trying out UKC. It's a bit more nerve-wracking, the rules can be a bit more tricky, but I like the challenge and it can also be alot more fun than the AKC trials. They're all very different.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 04:59:09 PM »
Thanks for the info. I contacted a local kennel club and they gave me the number to a lady that does a little bit of everything. When I was handling in conformation sometimes it seemed like it was more about who you knew than about the dogs.(depending on the judge)  When watching some if the obedience classes it seemed more like you and you dog competing against a set of rules as opposed to competing against other dogs. Is that true? I am so glad I found you guys you are so full of knowledge on all different subjects. We only have a few dog related clubs near where I live and none are breed specific. Its nice to talk to other people that love boxers.

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 05:03:30 PM »
When watching some if the obedience classes it seemed more like you and you dog competing against a set of rules as opposed to competing against other dogs. Is that true?

Yes , there is only 1 dog in the ring at a time ( except for sits & downs ) . You are scored according to your performance . Sometimes 2( or more) different dogs may have the same score so you will be called in to have a run off to see who scores higher .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 05:25:07 PM »
Yes, you are competing on how well you and your dog perform based on the level you are competing in. There are deductions for things like a tight leash, crooked sits, lagging behind, , breaking a sit/down on a stay, hitting the jump, avoiding the jump, and on and on and on. So if you check out the rules on AKC you will see what those deductions would be. If starting out in obdience, you would start in the beginning level (novice) and work your way up to the more challenging levels. So yeh, you are being judged based on how well you perform and based on the requirements for that class. Not necessarily against the other dogs, it is about you and your dog....but the dogs are awarded 1st place through 4th place based on the high scores. Qualifying is always the key. (you have to have a certain - ie. 170 out of 200 pts for obedience - score inorder to qualify. Qualify 3 times and you earn your title) But sometimes, people like to place and getting those ribbons are always a lil extra bragging rights. ;)
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 05:39:05 PM »
Yes, it is you and your dog because qualifying scores (at least 170 out of 200) is what earns you a title. Ribbons for 1- 4 placement are strictly bragging rights until you reach the very highest level (and many of us don't go that high - it takes just the right dog, a lot more work , a lot more time and a whole bunch more money in entry fees).

I hope the referral works out, a good trainer is worth their weight in gold!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 06:09:10 PM »
The lady they referred me to trains the k-9's for the police departments in this part of our state. She does obedience, agility, and flyball as well. I will be meeting with her this weekend. Thanks once again for the info.