Author Topic: Please someone help!!!  (Read 2015 times)

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
Please someone help!!!
« on: July 09, 2012, 10:52:19 PM »
My new nine month is a very picky eater. When I say picky she will not eat any of her kibble no matter what I put on it. I am not up to speed with feeding raw or home cooked so any info would be greatly appreciated. If you think you have a trick that I could try to get her to eat please let me know.
"Dogs are not our whole life,They make our life whole"
Piper we miss you baby girl, but you live on in our hearts.

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Re: Please someone help!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 11:25:44 PM »
Is it that she doesn't like it or just being picky?

I'd put the food down for 15 minutes. If she doesn't eat it....oh well, too bad, so sad....no more for you til the next feeding time. Pick it up and don't give her anything til the next feeding time. Dogs won't let themselves starve to death, especially when there is food around. So, if it's not an issue where the food doesn't agree with her and she's just being picky, I'd put it down and if she doesn't eat, pick it up and save it for later.

I also would avoid adding things that often either. It's only training "you" that if they hold out, you'll put more yummies in there for her. I think it's ok every now and then, but I'd focus on picking it up first. She'll hold out on you for a while, but will eventually give in and eat, once she realizes you aren't playing and aren't going to add anything for her.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 12:06:15 AM »
I have her on TOTW my other two girls love it and look great on it. Thanks for the advice I will try that. I have never had this problem before. Most of the time its completely the opposite. I have taken her to the vet and she couldn't find anything wrong with her. She suggested science diet but I'm not to fond of it. I think I will try your suggestion before I change anything.

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 07:42:07 AM »
I had an issue like this with Snookie, who was emaciated and had diarrhea really badly. It took time to get her to eat what I was feeding, different than what she was getting previously, but eventually, hunger won and she now looks great. I do homecook and also feed raw, and TOTW was the kibble of choice (until the recall crap).  Dawn is giving good advice.  I also think that some dogs go thru this "picky" stage, you just have to be persistent. 
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 12:39:55 PM »
How skinny is she? I have often had problems with puppies not being that interested in their food - no matter what you feed them - and it seems to be something that they go through as they grow up. If they aren't hungry they don't eat. I am not sure I would be worrying that much unless she was really, really skinny.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 03:25:17 PM »
Her hips bones are showing and her ribs are visible. She however has nice muscle tone on her back legs and shoulders.

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »
How old is she?
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 04:58:04 PM »
She is nine months.

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 11:41:44 AM »
Daisy ate heat first full meal this morning. Thanks for the suggestion about taking up the food after 15 minutes. I am so happy!!!! :cheerleader:

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 11:58:18 AM »
Glad that it's working out! You have to be pretty consistent with it. I have a young (12w) pup who is so distracted with his food. He'll eat some, then go play with Rubi, or will see the cat and take off. Or if my husband walks by, he wants to go grab his feet, or if I move, he wants to follow. So, I stand out there with him while he eats, encouraging him back to his bowl, then after 15 mins, whatever he doesn't eat - he gets at his afternoon meal. He's learned pretty quickly - that food goes down, I eat it. lol You feel horrible the first few times, but after they start to get it, you feel better.

Hoping she continues to eat it up. She'll probably push you back a lil bit, so just keep going and be consistent. Even if my dogs are gung-ho to eat, I always pick it up afterwards, regardless if there is a lil bit left.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 01:19:29 PM »
I had the same problem with her being distracted. I decided to put my crate back up and that is where I feed her. This morning she put her self in the crate and waited on me to come with food. It may take a while but I am so stoked that she finally ate a whole meal. My other two like to distract her while she is eating so they can steel her food. Lol they are a little over weight so I have had to cut their food back some. So by picking up Daisy's food they don't get more than they should.