Author Topic: Large Breed - Puppy  (Read 2312 times)

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Large Breed - Puppy
« on: July 09, 2012, 06:16:58 PM »
OK, so I had Bauer to the vet a couple of weeks ago for update on shots and unfortunately, I had to meet with the weirdo vet that stares at my chest while he talks (no idea what he sees, cuz there ain't nothin there!), but anyway....He's a creep. He doesn't know squat. And if I could have waited another week for the "lesser of the three evils" to be there, I would have. But, I just wanted Bauer's shot and go home.

Nope, he goes on to tell me all this BS, like it's my first puppy. Ok, dumbass, you came in to say goodbye to Grady AND  you've treated Rubi several times. Not my first puppy. I know to "play with their feet," and "mess with their ears and mouths," and in no way do I plan to hold Bauer down on his back to "dominate him and show him who's boss!"

The kicker was us arguing over dog food. I told him that, at the time, Bauer was eating Acana and we are switching him over to Natural Balance - what we've fed Rubi (and Grady) for years. He went on to tell me to get the puppy formula (an obvious statement from most vets) and then told me to get Large Breed. I said, "boxers are, by the standard, NOT a large breed. They are a medium size breed." He then went on to say that the Large Breed formulas are constructed for the breeds in the boxer-size range. When I said, ok, then - what would you classify a Great Dane or Mastiff? He argues that those would be Xtra Large. :dizzy2: Funny, I've never seen dog food for "Xtra Large Breeds." Then he tells me that Large Breed Puppy Formulas are made to reduce the risk of hip dysplasia.

Huh? What? I said, well considering that it enables growth for a large breed dog, such as encouraging bone growth, I don't see how it would reduce the risk of HD, but would only INCREASE the risk of HD, especially in a breed that doesn't have "large dog bones."

So we argued. I said, well I'm not feeding him large breed OR a puppy formula. The food he gets is an ALL STAGES formula and he does well on it. I swear, they will come up with anything to make them right.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Large Breed - Puppy
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 06:41:02 PM »
Yeow...don't go messing with a girl's pup while staring at her chest...sheesh!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 06:45:46 PM »
Sometimes you just have to grin and just walk away. I had a fourth year vet student, on clinics for a while, ask me, a lab worker at the time, what the conjunctiva was. Really? He was serious too, had no clue. I wonder some of the things they teach them in vet school.

Another good one was when the titer was >10,240, I told the student <(less than) 40 is negative. They said, "oh, so this is negative, right?"  :no:
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 12:36:02 PM »

LOL!!!!!!
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

DoubleTrouble

• Retired Member
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 02:31:37 PM »

Yea...and leave her cupcakes Alone too!!!  :hysterical:
Deb, Jaimee and Joker
Volunteer for Four Seasons
I lost my mind while working rescue
but found my soul.

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 02:38:13 PM »

Yea...and leave her cupcakes Alone too!!!  :hysterical:
Don't mess with Momma!!! And hey, btw....my eyes are up here! :inquisitive: Maybe he was trying to find my cupcakes? I dunno. He's a creeper! And I know he knows I absolutely can't stand him. When he came in, he was all rubbin my arm like, "oh, so sorry" and asks in this weird, whiney drawn out voice, "and how are we doin? you guys doing ok?" Yes idiot, just take a look over my puppy........not my "puppies!" :smash: lol I seriously kept sayin, "ok thanks" and tryin to take Bauer so we could go and he kept fishin for something else to talk about. At one point, he was sittin there thinkin (finger over his mouth, tapping) and I know I rolled my eyes, gave him a glare and when he said, "hmmmmm, what else?" I said...."the bill!" lol Sucha dweeb!
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 02:42:36 PM »
EWE...he sounds like a real creeper!  I mean, he rubbed your arm?  He would have been introduced to my right knee really quickly!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&