Author Topic: Travel expense of puppies  (Read 3484 times)

fairview Boxers

• Socialized
  • Corky 7yrs...Grandaughter Bella 8 weeks
    • Fairview Boxers
Travel expense of puppies
« on: June 26, 2012, 06:09:20 PM »
This is a first time issue for me.  Two of my puppies were/are/did going a distance away.  Pippa was graciously taken to meet her new Mum by Dawn to Charlotte, and will be leaving tomorrow for Birmingham.  Mick is going to be going near Syracuse.
My question is;
My travel expense with these two are technically coming out of their purchase price, which I don't mind to be honest.  I am wondering though if it normally works differently though.  With Pippa we priced and researched different ways to get her where she needed to go, and I was shell shocked at the prices (of course Pa to AL is no small trip)... 
Do any of the breeders here charge seperately to transport a puppy for a buyer?
Kat Medved
Aggie 7.7.2007, Ozzy 04.16.2012
At the Bridge: Corky 11.2.2002-2.2012, Cass 8.6.2005-6.2012 www.fairviewboxer.com

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
Re: Re: Travel expense of puppies
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 07:34:14 PM »
If I were shipping or using a courier service, I would have the buyer pay those fees. For “friends and family” transport, any money I spent on gas or thank-you gifts would just cone out of the puppy price.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

Theresa

• Officially Boxer Crazy
  • "No Pressure, no diamonds"-Mary Case
    • Getting Evan
Re: Re: Travel expense of puppies
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 08:59:59 PM »
Thank goodness for our BCF family.  If it weren't for Margaret I'm not sure how Pnut would have.made it to us

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Mom to:
Beasley (flashy fawn male) born 11/15/2005
Peanut (classic brindle female) born 2/15/2009
Evan (two legged brunette male) born 4/20/2011

fairview Boxers

• Socialized
    • Fairview Boxers
Re: Travel expense of puppies
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 09:11:18 PM »
Amen Theresa!!!! 
Thanks Jenn!!  :)
I couldn't believe how expensive the couriers were, I mean the quality seemed to be there; it was astrononical though!
Kat Medved
At the Bridge: Corky 11.2.2002-2.2012, Cass 8.6.2005-6.2012 www.fairviewboxer.com

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 09:12:21 AM »
I have only shipped 1 puppy by pet air . The owner paid the fee for the flight .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

Eilene

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 10:39:02 AM »
My breeder would not ship..We had to go pick up the dog...
Eilene
Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber,Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 10:50:42 AM »
I would expect, as a buyer, to pay for any formal travel expenses and to kick in for an informal "friends and family" travel.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 10:58:48 AM »
I would expect, as a buyer, to pay for any formal travel expenses and to kick in for an informal "friends and family" travel.
Agreed.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

fairview Boxers

• Socialized
    • Fairview Boxers
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 12:03:12 PM »
I have always done my traveling to pick up.  Corky I went to Chicago (just above), Aggie I went to Annapolis.... as a buyer I would expect to have that on my shoulders, but I would also want the breeder to be conscientious about how the puppy is being shipped!  I have (in the past) always required meeting the new owners, with the exception of recently with Lane (Pippa's Mom).  She had two of Kti's puppies and Kti knew her well, so I was comfortable.  I was seriously nervous about shipment until Wonder Dawn came along.  I was very apprehensive about the courier type, and flying is sketchy this time of year (unless they are shipped as a carry-on).... 
My nerves are pretty thoroughly fried right now, LOL... I am so glad Mick is the last one to worry about as far as getting where he needs to be!   :)
Kat Medved

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 12:47:53 PM »
I do agree that shipping/traveling falls on the buyer, but it's also part of the relationship with the breeder to work out how the puppy gets there. So, I feel it's a mutual decision between what the breeder feels comfortable with and what the buyer can afford. For me, I wanted to go see Skye and Trigger and see the other pups and wanted to travel with Bauer. I wouldn't have considered shipping but that is just my preference. I did consider a road trip rather than flying, but timing, cost and travel etc worked better in my favor to fly. I hate car rides anyway, lol. But, to me, if a buyer is out of state, it should be up to the buyer to pay expenses but a decision between buyer/breeder on how the pup gets there. If a breeder isn't comfortable with shipping, than the buyer should respect that and make other arrangements.

The way I see it, breeding is ALOT of work. You put ALOT of time, money, thought, care, etc into a breeding. Once you have decided a home is suitable for one of your pups, that buyer should respect the work you've put into the breeding and go with what makes you most comfortable in how the dog gets to it's new home. If that means the buyer has to fly out to you to get the pup, stay overnight in a hotel, or drive a long distance, than that's what they should do. I'd probably be a little put off by a buyer who can't make arrangements to get a puppy you expect them to love and take care of the way you would. (by "you" I don't mean you personally, just "breeder" in general ;) ) I would be too excited and want to get the puppy ASAP, lol, but that's just me....ask Kerry, I nearly bugged her everyday saying, "can he come home now?!" lol
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Newcastle

• Most Informed Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • WHEEE!!!!!
    • Newcastle Boxers
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 03:42:52 PM »
I've done a little bit of everything. :) I agree, it should be something the breeder and buyer work out and both feel comfortable with. Patsy was shipped to me -- I'm still nervous at the thought of flying a puppy, but Kti had done it many many times and everything ran mostly smoothly (except she stayed over in Texas a couple of extra days because it was too cold here in Michigan!). We drove to IN get Emma. Her first litter was disbursed all over the place ;) but since they were considerate enough to turn 12 weeks just after ABC, I was able to send them with friends from KY to their new homes. The last one to be placed, Lolly/Izzie, I met her dad 1/2 way between MI and MD.  This recent litter, of the two who have gone to homes, one was picked up here and one went with the owner's mother, who lives in MI but was going to visit him in VA. So, different ways of transporting for different situations.

And sorry for the little hijack, but I should note that none of that will be possible in the future if the new APHIS rules go into effect; every single buyer will have to come to the breeder's house either before or at the time they pick up their puppy, even if they know the breeder, have gotten puppies from them before, live clear across the country or in a different country, etc. (Or, the breeder will have to become a USDA-licensed facility, which means no in-home puppy raising.) Here's a bit more info about that, as well as where you can comment and ask APHIS to rescind the proposed rules. Comments are open until July 16.
http://waanimal.blogspot.com/2012/06/new-usda-rule-would-force-millions-of.html?m=1
Jennifer Walker
Newcastle Boxers, Reg'd
Mind ~ Body ~ Spirit ~ Naturally

Visit the Boxer Crazy Store

fairview Boxers

• Socialized
    • Fairview Boxers
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 10:16:58 AM »
Transporting was stressful for me (what isn't, LOL..)
Mick will be leaving this coming week.
Jenn that is so true!  If this APHIS goes through so much will change!!!  I am not sure how many people even realize that these "simple freedoms" the "governement" is trying to control is taking our total freedoms!  The control that these organizations are trying to have will eventually turn into total control of everyday life and everyday ownership of pets.  People HAVE to speak up!
Kat Medved