Author Topic: Lure Coursing info needed  (Read 4653 times)

Hickoryrockkenn

• Weanling
    • Hickory Rock Kennels
Lure Coursing info needed
« on: June 14, 2012, 07:02:29 PM »
I read somewhere that boxers were allowed to compete in lure coursing? I heard you had to right the FSS and fill out a form in order to compete I did email them and they had no clue as to how to help me lol. Any info would be great Thanks

Mom2Rocky

• Fully Weaned
    • Wild River Boxers
Re: Lure Coursing info needed
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 05:54:08 PM »

You should be able to register your dog for the event through the event holder or the facility that is hosting the event.

If your dog is AKC registered then you shouldn't have to fill out anything extra.. Just the event form along with your premium.

I'm not sure exactly what you were asking, but does that clear your question up?

Rocky NA, NAP, NJP, OJC,  O-NJC, O-NAC, TG-N, TN-N, CGC

Hickoryrockkenn

• Weanling
    • Hickory Rock Kennels
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 12:37:46 AM »
Well for sure they have events for boxers? Also do you gain any points from this event? And my last question is do i have to buy all the equipment to practice with or do you think if i am lucky enough to find a local club to work with they might have the equipment. He is AKC registered just thought id throw that out there. Thanks

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 10:02:38 AM »
Some clubs have practice, but most dogs don't need it, it's a natural instinct to chase the plastic bag.  Yes the events are open to Boxers now and there are many who've obtained their Coursing Ability Title. I believe it is pass/fail, not points.  And I assume you aren't talking about points towards a championship since conformation is the only place you earn those sort of points.

Here is the official AKC video about the CAT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5cYDaX_6GA&feature=share

It was produced by Sherry Buchla, who is a Boxer owner and does all the taping for ABC nationals. Her husband Todd trains their white Boxer, Georgia who I believe appears around 1:20.  Delta's brother, Duke (from an earlier breeding) also appears around 2:30 - he's the plain fawn boy who also appears at 6:20 playing with the bags.  Two of Chris Frodsham's "flying white boxers" show up at around 5:30 and 6:10.  He's a guy who runs agility and owns a whole pack of white Boxers (either from breeders or rescues, he does not breed himself).  So yes, Boxers are definitely allowed to compete  :thumbsup:

Sherry also made a personal video of both their dogs, Georgia and Gunny, getting their titles.  They attended the first CAT open to Boxers, so they were the first and second Boxers on record to earn the title. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5dGSNyB0uY

The one thing you want to be mindful of is that Boxers only run the shorter (half-length?) course because they are a Brachy breed.  A woman I know ran into some trouble with one of her boys when they didn't reset the course to the shorter length (and she didn't know it).  Some of the clubs who run the trials don't know or forget about that rule because it is so new.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Hickoryrockkenn

• Weanling
    • Hickory Rock Kennels
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 12:40:56 PM »
Thanks great post