Author Topic: Blue/ Blue Wilderness.....just a heads up  (Read 2836 times)

SaharaNight Boxers

• Fully Weaned
Blue/ Blue Wilderness.....just a heads up
« on: June 13, 2012, 04:11:40 PM »
Now it's gotten this bad I've decided to post this.

Well Duke has been on Blue since a little puppy and he was doing great for about a year maybe a year and a half. He then started getting ear infections. They were from yeast. I didn't know grain inclusive foods fueled yeast though so we didn't switch. Probably in February he started getting cannon butt on the Large Breed Chicken and Rice. It was literally shooting out of his butt a decent distance. This probably went on a good two weeks or so. He seemed fine though besides that.

Well then one day we go to PetSmart and they didn't have any of the Large Breed Chicken so we switched to Wilderness salmon. For the first week or two he seemed good. The week after he got horrible dandruff for a week or two and I just thought it was detox so I let it go. Well now for about the past month he's lost hair on his shoulder. It's a good quarter size clump that's just skin underneath. He's also lost muscle tone and he's getting the same amount of excersise, if not more. He's still very shiney though, but he doesn't have as much energy and just seems kind of down.  Just goes to show shiney doesn't mean everything.

Turns out ost vets don't reccomend it because it causes hair loss.... :brood:

I just kind of wanted to put this up here to put my experience up there. We're switching to raw soon so it made me think of it. Hope it helps someone!

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
Re: Blue/ Blue Wilderness.....just a heads up
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 10:08:29 AM »
Is it just the salmon formula that causes hair loss? What exactly causes it?
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

DoubleTrouble

• Retired Member
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 11:00:45 AM »
Oh my goodness....I just switched mine to Blue Wilderness a few weeks ago and just this weekend was commenting on how great their fur looked and felt since switching....what is it that the vet said is causing hair loss...mine look great...better than in a long time.  Yikes!!
Deb, Jaimee and Joker
Volunteer for Four Seasons
I lost my mind while working rescue
but found my soul.

Patti

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 11:44:47 AM »
Yeah, I literally just bought a bag last night to see if it helped with Otis' coat.
Patti & Otis (8/18/2006)

SaharaNight Boxers

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 01:11:30 PM »
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/blue_buffalo.html?page=2

There actually seems to be a lot about diahreah, itching, and hair loss on this page. Of course I don't want to make anyone feel bad or sway your choices. This is just something we've had a problem with.

SaharaNight Boxers

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 01:16:43 PM »
Oh my goodness....I just switched mine to Blue Wilderness a few weeks ago and just this weekend was commenting on how great their fur looked and felt since switching....what is it that the vet said is causing hair loss...mine look great...better than in a long time.  Yikes!!

That's exactly how Duke was. Great for a few weeks then the dandruff started and the hair chunk loss. I asked the person who informed about the vets opinions on Blue where she found it. Hoelfully she gets back to me soon.

DoubleTrouble

• Retired Member
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 01:29:39 PM »
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/blue_buffalo.html?page=2

Of course I don't want to make anyone feel bad or sway your choices. This is just something we've had a problem with.

Oh hell...that is why we are all here isn't it?? That's why I come here...if there is a problem I want to know about it before mine get sick!! That's just scary....guess I'm back to the drawing board in food searches...this just makes ME sick!!  I'm just getting so discouraged...what IS safe to feed them??  :wall:  I'm afarid of Diamond, now this....ugghhhh!!!!
Maybe I better go back to Wellness...since our formula isn't produced in the deadly SC plant...I swear I am soi confused...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 01:34:55 PM by DoubleTrouble »
Deb, Jaimee and Joker
but found my soul.

SaharaNight Boxers

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 04:10:07 PM »
Honestly this is why I'm going raw. I'm tired of possible recalls and hidelden things. Wellness is made with Diamond too in some places so I'm leery of that too. I was considering Go! Dog food and then I found out they get ingredients from China. It's kinda driving me insane because nothing seems that safe anymore, so I'm done.

DoubleTrouble

• Retired Member
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 07:39:27 PM »
Well.....I just spent the last two hours doing a little research.  I pulled the names of 17 dog foods that I had seen or heard of from the Whole Dog Journal List of foods for 2012. I then did a search of each one and of the 17, I found complaints lodged against 15 of them on the internet.  Sort of eye opening, huh? It appears that all these companies have folks that think their foods made their animals sick...but yet the Whole Dog Journal endorsed them....that tells me that it just appears that not every food is right for every dog and there will always be complaints no matter how high of a quality food it is....I have said all along that the best food is the one that works for your dog and this sort of reinforces that for me. You know that not ALL of these foods are making dogs sick...they may not all work with every dog but they can't all be dangerous...it appears to just be a trial and error sort of thing to find the one that is right and works for your dog...
Deb, Jaimee and Joker
but found my soul.

SaharaNight Boxers

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 08:01:34 PM »
Wow it seems everyone has some kind of issue with one thing or another. That is a very food point that it all has to do with yor dog too. I guess this one just doesn't work for Duke.

DoubleTrouble

• Retired Member
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 08:19:14 PM »
Wow it seems everyone has some kind of issue with one thing or another. That is a very food point that it all has to do with yor dog too. I guess this one just doesn't work for Duke.

It's just all so aggravating...we try like crazy to do what it is best for them because we love them so much...just gotta cross your fingers and hope it is enough...  ???
Deb, Jaimee and Joker
but found my soul.

SaharaNight Boxers

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 08:32:41 PM »
Yeah totally agree with that one. Just do what you can do the best you can and pray it's enough.

AandWBoxers

• Potty Trained
  • One of those days!
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 01:22:28 PM »
I have had very good luck with the Fromm Family line.   I've had 4 Boxers on Fromm's for years and they love it.  Nice, shiny coats, good health, no issues at all.  I rotate between 3 flavors of their kibble and mix with a little of their canned pate's. 

It's been a while since this thread was started and I hope solutions have been found for your pups!!

Wendy
Mocha, CGC 4/26/04  :sombrero:    Mugs 9/27/08  :devilish:    Axel 7/21/10  :puppy:
Max, CGC, TP 5/3/03 - 8/27/09  :angel: