Author Topic: Puppy Placement  (Read 2286 times)

fairview Boxers

• Socialized
  • Corky 7yrs...Grandaughter Bella 8 weeks
    • Fairview Boxers
Puppy Placement
« on: June 10, 2012, 10:21:42 PM »
I have a bit of a dilemma!!!!  I am actually really upset about it!  I had the awesome experience with this litter to have more puppy homes than puppies early on!  One of which (which will be a great home, just I didn't feel was best suited for this litter) is upset because I have told them that they will not be receiving a puppy from this litter.
I have been upfront from the beginning that placement was dependant on the cardio visit, the vet visit, and the PAT testing.  That Kti and I were making joint decisions in placement, and my updates were sent to more puppy people than puppies.  I also informed them that I do not accept deposits or early contracts, and that no decisions would be made until 8 weeks. 
Well, they are upset and want to speak with me further about their disapointment.  I am just not sure what else I can tell them.  Any ideas?
Kat Medved
Aggie 7.7.2007, Ozzy 04.16.2012
At the Bridge: Corky 11.2.2002-2.2012, Cass 8.6.2005-6.2012 www.fairviewboxer.com

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Re: Puppy Placement
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 10:33:57 PM »
Eesh, Kat! That's gotta be just one of the many tough things about doing what you do. I can see where you are coming from. You are looking out for what's best of the pups you put your heart and soul into from the very beginning. And if you've been honest from the start, I don't see what the problem is. However, (the compassionate side of me kicks in) I can also see where they are coming from. I can't imagine the heartache one must feel when they get their hopes up. But, again, if you were honest from the start....that shouldn't be an issue, ya know. Tough call. I guess I'd just hear them out, explain once again why they were not chosen and apologize. Nothing you can really do right? I'd imagine it's just as frustrating and heartbreaking when you're a breeder, and put all your work into hoping for that perfect show prospect to keep for youself and they just don't turn out the way you plan. It's part of the "game" so to speak, and they really should understand that. Nothing is guaranteed til atleast 8 weeks, and they were fortunate to be on the list to begin with. But with more people than puppies....it's not like you can just create the perfect pup for them now.

It's a beautiful litter, I can see why they'd be upset only because I'm sure they were hoping that it "wouldn't happen to them," so to speak. But I guess it's up to you how much you want to keep beating a dead horse, too. Listening isn't going to change the outcome, but if it makes them feel better about your decision...that's up to you on how much you want to keep going with it.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

fairview Boxers

• Socialized
    • Fairview Boxers
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 11:12:13 PM »
Placement is the hardest part!  It is heartbreaking actually!  I have to give up the babies I have loved for weeks now, and watch them go on (knowing it is best for them, but still)...  matching homes with puppies is difficult, and with this litter I had Kti and Katherine both to help me with it.  They were even able to help assure me I had the proper temperatments pegged on the puppies.  PAT testing isn't fool proof, but it is helpful! 
I don't want to send a puppy to home that can't handle what I see in the puppy.  Especially a family with no Boxer experience that is 4 states away!  It isn't like I could drive to help them out if a problem popped up, or even talk daily.  Life just doesn't always allow for that! 
I hate telling people no, but sometimes it is a neceesary word!  It is just disheartening!
Kat Medved
At the Bridge: Corky 11.2.2002-2.2012, Cass 8.6.2005-6.2012 www.fairviewboxer.com

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 11:19:37 PM »
It's a human trait and I'd imagine something wouldn't be right if you didn't feel that way, even just a little bit. But, in the end, it is about the pups and that's your focus. Again, not a job I would ever want to have to do, but I admire you for placing them in the best homes suited for each one. It takes a lot to have to say no....and that's just proof that you are looking out for the pups, not just handing them off to anyone. It's being responsible for the pups you brought into this world, helped raise to this point, and have done all you can to ensure they start out with happy, healthy, wonderful lives. Hopefully, one day, this family will understand that.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 07:05:52 AM »
I think you are doing the right thing.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 07:16:36 AM »
PAT testing isn't fool proof, but it is helpful!
I don't want to send a puppy to home that can't handle what I see in the puppy.  Especially a family with no Boxer experience that is 4 states away!  It isn't like I could drive to help them out if a problem popped up, or even talk daily. 

Just tell them that . It is hard to turn people away but you have to place the right temperment with the right home . You want the placement to work not be a possible problem in the future .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

Sir Duke

• Potty Trained
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 08:43:40 AM »
YOU MEAN I AM NOT GETTING FOO......................... :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

Sorry,  couldn't help it.

I can't imagine how hard it would be to do this.  We are thankful every single day that we were chosen to love Spike!!!

You have to do what you think is right.  If you have been upfront with them from the beginning, they will get over it.  They should also want what is best for the puppy.  I am sure they are sad and disappointed but sometimes you have to patient for the right pup to come along. 

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 08:44:30 AM »
It is what it is, not much you can do about it.

All I think you can do is possibly refer them to someone else - and put in a good word for them if you think they will be a good home.
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

LOVEBUG

• Potty Trained
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 10:32:22 AM »
Like Dawn said... Listening isn't going to change the outcome, but it might make them feel better about your decision.

I know how disappointed I would be, and I might take it personally. I would just hear them out.

Cindy: Mom to Porsha, & Tyson.
          Chowder 4/2000 - 9/7/2013

fairview Boxers

• Socialized
    • Fairview Boxers
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 05:34:24 PM »
She understands now! WHEW!   The worst thing she did (or anyone could do) is she told her 8 year old daughter they were in fact getting one of them.  I can't for the LIFE of me understand why she did that, but that is why they were so upset! 
I did forward them to multiple rep. breeders, and even sent her to a closer breeder to her, to see if any  puppies or litters are available.  I think it would be great for her to meet the puppies a few weeks before taking one home, and that wasn't feasible with this litter.
None of us want these ones to leave, George (hubby) even said so this morning... which NEVER happens! 
Kat Medved