Author Topic: My time at home has created a monster!  (Read 2343 times)

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
My time at home has created a monster!
« on: July 24, 2012, 06:01:43 PM »
OK, so I wouldn't call it separation anxiety since she doesn't appear to be upset *while* I'm gone or in her crate in general, but Delta is WAAYY too excited when I get home.  She leaps and makes pitiful squeals and tries to lick my face off.  She doesn't do this for Aaron, who's been out of town or working full-time - just for me, who's been a full-time at-home puppy raiser for the last 2 1/2 months.  She does it if I'm gone an hour or 6 hours and she does it even though I make it NBD (No Big Deal) when I get home. 

She also does this even if someone else lets her out and I come home a short time later.  I tried it with Aaron tonight... he let her out, greeted her (two small whimpers of happiness), let her out to pee.  I walk in and all howl breaks loose!

I know we've talked about how to handle excitement when you get home a lot on here, so I'm posting this mostly to confirm that I'm remembering all the things to do:

Make it NBD (both leaving her and arriving home)
Practice fake leaving
Short/random length crate stays
Give them something to entertain them in the crate

I'm getting involved with a non-profit to do some volunteer project management, so hopefully I'll have more opportunities to practice partial days away before I get a "real" job that keeps me away 8-9 hours.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Re: My time at home has created a monster!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 06:07:31 PM »
LOL I only stayed home a week and I still get this with Bauer. But he's like that with both Shawn and I, no matter who comes home first, who lets him out, etc. I can't think of anything else that I'd add as that's always how I dealt with crate training, other than just making sure she gets NO response from you whatsoever, unless she's in a sit position (and acting calm). Other than that....good luck! I can only imagine how bonded she is, which is great, but at the same time....gonna be tough to break and doing it now before you get heavily involved in something that will take you away, is much better than cutting her off completely.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 06:49:35 PM »
My roommate says Lucky dislocates his hips when I get home, gotta love their excitement.  I'd say you're doing everything right.  It will hopefully get better as you stay gone for longer periods of time.
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 07:54:16 PM »
Dawn - I'm totally hoping the bonding is an advantage when it comes to showing, but definitely not looking for her to be a basket case, lol.  She will give a tiny squeal or two for other people, but for me she gets unhinged!!
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05

TLC Mom

• Most Involved with Boxer Rescue - 2009
  • Socialized
  • Try to get it out of my mouth, I dare ya!!
    • Almost Home Az Boxer Rescue
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 03:27:46 PM »
Wow, this sound like my Lucy and she is 10. LOL!!! Porter does laps around the bedroom, on the bed off the bed, when I let him out of the crate. Chloe just throws her hips around. I do the NBD and try to ignore them, they eventually settle down after a few minutes.

Good luck!
Vicki ~ Mom to Lucy/Chloe/Pippen/Tillman
Forever ♥: Taylor - 2/93-3/09
                  Porter - 11/09-5/13

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 06:53:27 PM »
I would do the just try to not pay attention approch till she calms down. She will get it. It will just take time.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 04:47:39 PM »
Go figure, I post this and she drops the drama! She's still excited to see me when I get home, but she's stopped squealing and mauling me.  Just a couple of jumps and some kisses and she's ready to think about other things, like my mom in the kitchen.  :laugh4:
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05