Author Topic: Foster Dad's experience  (Read 2652 times)

TLC Mom

• Most Involved with Boxer Rescue - 2009
  • Socialized
  • Try to get it out of my mouth, I dare ya!!
    • Almost Home Az Boxer Rescue
Foster Dad's experience
« on: June 07, 2012, 02:28:40 PM »
This was written my one of our new foster Dad's experience w/ his first foster dog. This family fostered a bull dog from our bully division.

On March 31st, my life changed. That was the day that Kasey and I brought home Gator. At first, we were overwhelmed and couldn't help but think "What did we get ourselves into?" But then we watched as what was once a troubled and misunderstood dog changed. When we took Gator in as a foster, we had a rough start. He was grumpy and uncooperative. Within an hour of being home, Gator peed all over our bed. He was scared. We were scared. But as time went on, Gator learned that we were his new home. He grew to love us, as we did him. We watched as this scared and nervous dog became a wonderful and loving companion. In the short two months that we have had Gator, he really has changed. He still doesn't play well with others, but it's not as bad as it used to be. He is happy.

But now, I sit here at 7:35 in the morning unable to sleep. Today is the big day. When we took Gator in, we knew what we were eventually going to have to do. Needless to say, we were not expecting it to happen so quickly. We have come to love Gator with all of our heart, just as he has us. Every day, I come home to his happy face so excited to see me, and it brings a smile to my face regardless of how rough the day has been. But today, Gator is going to a new home. He is being adopted by a wonderful couple from NY who has moved down here and fell in love just by looking at his picture, the same way I did back in January.

I knew going into this adventure that it was to rescue, rehabilitate and re-home, but I cannot help but feel like a parent sending his child off to live on his own. I know I will be seeing Gator again, but it doesn't make it any easier. I love him, and I'm so happy that he has found a Forever Home so quickly. It makes me proud to see the work we have done with him to help change him from a dog that no one thought would be adopted into a graduate of the Almost Home Arizona Rescue. I just want to thank everyone who has been with us along this journey to help a dog in need, and I cannot wait to do it again for another dog.

Dogs truly are Man's best friend, and it kills me to know that I am sending my best friend off today. But I know he is going to a good home and I will be opening my door to another animal in need. If you ever get a chance to foster a dog, I will tell you now, it is not easy. Especially when they leave. But the joy that is in my heart as I know that I have done a wonderful thing for such an amazing dog will be with me forever. I'm going to miss Gator without a doubt, but words cannot express how happy I am to know that he is finally going to a good home.

Gregg Wright

For those on FB here is a link that includes picture of Gator
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150734433372465&set=o.54324888169&type=1&theater

Vicki ~ Mom to Lucy/Chloe/Pippen/Tillman
Forever ♥: Taylor - 2/93-3/09
                  Porter - 11/09-5/13

DoubleTrouble

• Retired Member
  • Canine Good Citizen
Re: Foster Dad's experience
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 02:35:09 PM »
Awwww geeze...I was already bawling over Magoo...now this.. :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: Thanks Vick!! LOL
Deb, Jaimee and Joker
Volunteer for Four Seasons
I lost my mind while working rescue
but found my soul.

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 02:41:01 PM »
OMG that is just so sweet and sad :bigcry:
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 03:42:03 PM »
  :bigcry: that's so sweet and true.  It's so nice when you get to hear from the foster's once they go to their furrever homes, but sometimes you don't.
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 08:38:02 AM »
 :'(
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 09:14:27 AM »
Awwww geeze...I was already bawling over Magoo...now this.. :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: Thanks Vick!! LOL

Seriously! LOL
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

rmkoruga

• Socialized
  • Rachel-owned by Leroy Brown 6/21/03
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 09:35:10 PM »
so sad but so happy!  What a cutie Gator is  :smitten: :smitten:
Rachel-
Leroy Brown 06/03

3BOXERS