Author Topic: One overly busy breeder  (Read 10463 times)

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
Re: One overly busy breeder
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 05:56:22 PM »
Why on earth do you think I am trying as hard as I am to get her to see the light. Further more I don't like to pass judgment at all. Even the good book tells us not to judge others. I have only expressed my opinion. If people can not except my opinion as just that (my opinion) then I am sorry but are we not all entitled to our own opinion. Would you have me leave Daisy there because of something her breeder has done. Let's face it there is nothing you or anyone else can do to stop her so I would think my trying to educate her would be the right thing to do. I am sorry that I have offended some of you I in no way meant to do that. The only reason I even commented on this subject is the fact that I have been to her home and have developed a relationship with her. Believe me with all of her vet bills and everything that she does for her dogs there is not much room for profit. No she is not my favorite person however I try to help anyone that I can. I was hoping to get some help with ideas as how to get Daisy to eat more and gain some weight but I can see that I may have worn out my welcome because my opinion on this subject is different than some of you.
"Dogs are not our whole life,They make our life whole"
Piper we miss you baby girl, but you live on in our hearts.

SaharaNight Boxers

• Fully Weaned
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2012, 06:23:36 PM »
The icing on the cake is that on her Puppies Coming Soon it says they are always planning another litter.

And if you could get through to her and tell her what needs to change I  congratulate you. That's what we need more of.

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 06:38:16 PM »
Funny, but your intro said after losing Piper, you researched breeders...I doubt that much research went in to finding Daisy...I think a phone call was made or a visit, and Daisy  came home. 

Even looking at her website, or her Puppyfinder ads, (which if you did rescue, you would know is where puppy millers post their pups for sale) you could see she was not a responsible or reputable breeder.  Her Angel has far too much white to be breeding her, none of those "boxers" (and I call them that loosely) even remotely resemble the breed standard.  She charges more for a white boxer than a flashy or classic...these things epitomize the lack of knowledge she has.  And, currently she has a litter that is 4 weeks old and 3 planned or possibly already on the ground. , And like Sahara said...she ALWAYS is planning another litter.  I doubt anyone would be able to "educate" her!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 08:36:34 PM »
Like I said I just posted MY OPINION. It does not matter to me what you think. I love Daisy and would not give her up for nothing. She is a part of my family now and we love her. As far as me looking at her website yes I did. I also spoke with some of her clients as well as her vet. When she told me about Daisy I thought instead of buying a puppy Daisy and I both would benefit from getting her out of there. I would think you would be happy about her having one less dog to breed. As for me being involved with rescue you could speak with Arretta Tolerance with Aspen Great Dane rescue and she would let you know about what I have done. All though I don't feel that
[/quote]I need to defend anything that I have said or done to you. I will ask you again should I have left Daisy there? What would you say about my Bassette Hound and my Cocker? They are both the product of puppies mills.(which I helped to shut down) For that matter what about my two horses that were abandoned would you have me leave them there? If you have looked at her website you would also see a female named Helena. I almost have her talked into having her spayed as well as he dogs Dakota and Voodoo neutered. That may not seem like much  but to me it is a start. I am hoping to get Chau Chau spayed next. Should I just forget about it and let Animal control take care of her it because they are not going to do anything to her.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 10:17:26 PM »
 If she is open to education and reducing her breeding stock, I think that is fantastic. Obviously I'd prefer she formby breed altogether, but I do agree that education a long term solution. Do you think there is any hope for getting her out of the breeding business?
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2012, 10:47:59 PM »
She is not in good health and I think she is starting to see that she can't deal with this for much longer. I think she has also started to understand why there is a breed standard and why breeders should stick to that standard. I hope that within a year she will have stopped. I know that seems like a long time but for someone that has been doing this for so long that would be excellent.

BoxerPerson

• Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2012, 07:37:22 AM »
Good luck...I hope you are successful.  I have had quite a few rescues that came from a PM...none were because I established a relationship with the "breeder", it was thru closing them down or by rescuing them after they closed.

Here's my problem...you act like I am wrong in having an issue with her and her breeding practices and that I should not judge her! WHAT??? I have rescued dogs, all breeds actually, but specifically boxers and westies since 1989. I have taken in so many people's unwanted, over-bred or just plain abused dogs because I love animals. (I have also rescued parrots, horses, a goat, ducks, geese, cats and koi).  I have heard every reason for giving a pet, specisfically dogs up, breeding an animal, etc.  So nothing is new to me, unfortunately. My current 4 have come to me under various reasons and only 1 did I give a dime for...that was to the vet that laser spayed Snookie and it was far less than a normal spay I would have had to pay anyway...nothing else.

If you had "researched" as you claim, you would never have even gone to her site, because it SCREAMS puppy mill! You still could "educate" her, but you did not have to go to her for a pup. This is where I have an issue.  If you know about puppy mills and rescue, what you did doesn't make sense to me. However, if you are successful in getting this person to stop the irresponsible breeding she is doing, then I applaud you, however I do not hold hope you will be able to sway her.

DoubleTrouble

• Retired Member
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2012, 09:05:20 AM »
Believe me with all of her vet bills and everything that she does for her dogs there is not much room for profit.

If she isn't turning a profit then why is she doing it....obviously not to better the breed...trust me she's making money or she wouldn't do it.  I am quite sure you love your Daisy, I have no doubt about that and you felt you were doing the right thing but the point remains she had a puppy that she couldn't get rid of and as loing as people bail her out with her unwanted leftovers she is free to keep right on breeding more and more and more...it is people like her that keep rescues in business.  I am gladthat Daisy found a good home and I know she will bring you years of happiness providing sheis healthy and doesn't suffer from so many of the health issues that result from such irresponsible breeding and for your sake and the sake of your sweet little girl, I pray she will not...
Deb, Jaimee and Joker
Volunteer for Four Seasons
I lost my mind while working rescue
but found my soul.

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2012, 09:33:18 AM »
There is always hope. I ran across one of her adds in a local paper. When I contacted her I had not looked at her website. I like to speak to the person herself and go to their home to see for myself. After speaking with her I had made up my mind that I would not give her a dime however like I said when she mentioned she was having trouble keeping weight on Daisy I felt that we both could benefit. Daisy would not have to spent her life being bred heat after heat and I would receive the love of a very great dog. If you do not agree with what I have done I am sorry but I had to do what I felt was right. Marie is not a bad person she is just 70 years old and set in her ways. Since I have been speaking with her she has started to realize that what she is doing is wrong. We recently have had a very bad storm that pretty much knocked out power to our whole state. No one could buy ice and water anywhere. This lady went without keeping her insulin cold in order to give her dogs cold water in the heat wave that we had. She is not a bad person just very misinformed. Some things that I pointed out to her about her breeding she had no idea was wrong. I just feel that by talking to her and helping her in any way I can that I am doing more good than by calling animal control. A friend of mine runs the humane society in the county where she lives. He said they have been to her house on many occasions due to phone calls from concerned citizens. They have not been able to do anything because she is not breaking any laws. In his situation the only way to do anything about it is trying to get through to her. And just so you know when I found her add in the local paper I was looking at the adds our local humane societies put in there. When I met Daisy I just couldn't leave her there. Again if my actions have offended some of you I am sorry.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2012, 10:15:46 AM »
I don't think any of your actions are offensive - you didn't support her and you are doing what you can to get her to stop.  I think what riles people up is the appearance of supporting or defending that sort of breeding program.  Obviously, "set in her ways" isn't a *good* reason to do what she did, but it is *her* reason.  Since she isn't breaking any laws, then it makes sense you have to work with her in the way she'll accept. 

From your description of the ice situation, it sounds like her day-to-day care of her pets is very similar to what any of us here would have done.  Which reinforces for me that good people can still be really crappy breeders.  (Reminds me a bit of my grandfather, who once told me puppy mills were "good business" and yet would have been horrified if any of his dogs had been used in that manner)
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2012, 10:58:58 AM »
I know what you mean about your grandfather my dad used to say the same thing until he saw the dogs I was bringing home from these seizures. He couldn't believe the way they were mistreated
I just spoke with Marie and her oldest male Dakota passed away last night due to heat stroke. The vet was able to get his temperature down but there was significant brain damage. She is one of the many still without power here and she had put him outside thinking he would be cooler out there. She was unable to get ice anywhere yesterday. It is very sad that this happened to him but I think this has finally made her see that she has to many and can not look out for all of them at once. I am hoping and will be keeping my fingers crossed that she will allow me to start placing some if not all of them in better and forever homes. I suspect it will take a while to get all of them but everyone for that I get out will be one less breeding.

BoxerPerson

• Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2012, 02:19:25 PM »
Geez...How sad for Dakota, he was one of the very few on her site that somewhat resembled a boxer! Now he can run free without worrying about having to "perform"!

I still find your statement that "she is not a bad person" rather offensive.  Yes she is.  She may give up the ice or cold water for her dogs...that's her livelihood, she has to try to keep them alive!
If she isn't turning a profit then why is she doing it....obviously not to better the breed...trust me she's making money or she wouldn't do it.

Every time I go back to look at her site, I am appalled! There are dogs on her site she claims are boxers and there is NO WAY IN HELL they are.  There is a tri-colored dog and here is her explanation for the coloring...
This is Chauchau. She is a pure bred Black, White and Tan Boxer. She was born January 3rd 2008. She is a small boxer because she was the runt. She weighs about 55 pounds. Anyone who has had a pack of dogs as large as mine that live together, should know that no strange dog can invade their pack without being killed. There is no way, it could breed the female, lock with her and then wait for her to release him!! Without the rest of the pack tearing he up.A strange dog would never make it back out of the yard a live...

WHAT???

Then she breeds a white boxer.  Another no-no! And she claims that her dogs are CKC.  What does this mean? 
Continental Kennel Club is often used by people who have lost their priviledges from AKC (suspended for reasons like failure to keep good records). They are also used by people who refuse to have a DNA profile done on their frequently used breeding stock (AKC requires this).

No.. it doesn't ALWAYS mean they are poorly bred.. but the likelihood they are is much higher since the CKC will register ANYTHING as long as you have a photo, two witnesses to say the dog is what you say he is and the $$.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 02:34:41 PM by BoxerPerson »

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2012, 03:21:59 PM »
I am sorry once again that you find that offensive. How about this. YOU ARE RIGHT I AM WRONG!!!! End of story. I will continue to do what I feel is right. As for the ice thing you say that the doge are her lively hood but the insulin is her life. She is lucky she did not die. I know from experience that if my mother misses her insulin we normally end up in the ER hoping that she will not go into a coma. As for being CKC registered I find that statement to be true. It is not a repeatable registry. You say that they do not resemble a boxer however everyone that meet Daisy knows that she is a boxer. Daisy was listed on her site when she was a young pup her name was (Storm). She was and still is not a show quality boxer. All of your statements about her dogs being less than perfect or up to standard are true. That is why I am trying to get her to stop. Yes I may not succeed but hopefully I will. Would you prefer me do nothing?

DoubleTrouble

• Retired Member
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2012, 03:45:06 PM »
Would you prefer me do nothing?

But you see as long as there is some one there to bail her out and take her leftovers that she can't sell, she'll never stop...why would she?  Now she's free to breed again and apparently that is just what she has done....sorry I am just not buying it...if you worked in rescue you should know better....you may not have given her money but you are supporting her just the same...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 03:48:32 PM by DoubleTrouble »
Deb, Jaimee and Joker
Volunteer for Four Seasons
I lost my mind while working rescue
but found my soul.

MBREEN

• Potty Trained
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 04:56:47 PM »
Now I am offended. You just called my much loved pet a leftover as if she is nothing. You can think what you want I could care less. As I said before animal control is not going to do anything to stop her so every animal I get out of there or spayed/neutered is a victory in its self. I am glad that everyone does not feel the same way you do. Let's face it if Daisy was still there she would be breeding her to. I guess all of my animals are leftovers but guess what I love each and everyone of them just as much as people love their show dogs. I will continue to do things the way I feel is right regardless of how you or anyone else feels. At this point that is all I can do. I will not continue to defend bringing Daisy home. I will not continue to argue with you because I do not have to. I also do not have to explain myself to you. You act as if people that do not share your opinion on are inferior to you. Well guess what I am not nor is Daisy so get over it.