Author Topic: Building Her Confidence  (Read 2257 times)

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
Building Her Confidence
« on: June 06, 2012, 07:53:45 PM »
I hesitate putting this in "Problem Behaviors" as I really see this as a result of many things, and see it more as a challenge, than a problem. But, Rubi's always had fear and shyness issues. Before Grady, I had worked to build her confidence and she eventually did. When Grady came around, he even gave her that extra little boost she needed to be a more balanced dog.

Well, since he's been gone, she's resorted back to her "old" ways. She went through a bit of a picky-eater phases - normal for the most part, but she almost seemed afraid of her food. Picking up a piece, taking it to the living room, pawing at it, nibbling it, and eventually eating it. I think she wore herself out, cuz she'd go lay down after all that work for one lil piece of food. LOL She used to do this at every meal til Grady came around. Then eating became a fun contest and she'd eat with gusto, finish her bowl and wait for Grady to finish (or vice versa) to lick his bowl.

I've been taking her out as much as possible. Being an only dog, I don't want her life to be miserable. So when we go out, we try to take her with us. Or even just go sit in the front yard to look at the action. She's been getting lots of walks in and that had been a problem that started up about 2 years ago. I couldn't get to the corner of our culdasac without her freaking out and dragging me back home. Bring Grady, and she walked with her head held high. So, from what I saw, she ended up relying on him a bit too much.

I tried working with her while he was still here and we'd make progress, then have setbacks. We had just been getting back to making progress when he died. So, now she's back to getting down the street and running back home.

So, I've been working on this all again. Not wanting her to be a miserable house dog, we get out on walks nearly everyday - even if it's just to the mailbox and back. We're playing ALOT of tug - her favorite game - and trying to get her to play in the front yard too.

She's really starting to come around. We can now walk about a mile with very little "fear" moments. She even forges ahead now (she pulled constantly with Grady around) and will get a little happy trot going. She lets us know if din-din is late. She brings toys to us to play. She's had 2 dogs walk up on our walk and after a bit of a shy greeting, turned around ready to play. In the past, her and Grady would try to bully - not aggressive, but be a couple of "bullies."

So, I'm proud to say she's making great progress and quicker than I thought she would. She's also not licking her hoo-hoo much either. She used to constantly lick, and somehow that's stopped right after her passed. I feel like she's starting to come back. I know alot of it has to do with her grief and a bit of a regression because of that, but I won't let her sit around and sulk and it's so neat to see her coming back out of her shell.

We're going to MD in a couple of weeks for my husband's grandmother's birthday and for a baby shower in Philly. There will be other dogs there and it will be interesting to see how she maintains her confidence, or if she forgets. She loves Koho and Bear, so hopefully, it will help gve her a little boost. I'm just so glad to see her bouncing back. Her little nubbin is waggin, she's smiling, and she's back to her lil bunny hop when we're getting ready for walks.
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Building Her Confidence
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 06:13:08 AM »
She sounds very much like Snookie.  Shooks is fearful of everything when away from Willie or Phoebe.  He walks sessions were short because she was so afraid.  Lately she has much more confidence and is allowing other people to pet her and she will come if coaxed with a ball or cookie. I have to work on her confidence always, and one way I found was to teach her something new...even if it is just balancing a cookie on her nose for a bit or returning to a spot I had her sit on, she improves.

You are an amazing dog mom, Dawn...keep up the GREAT work!
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

LOVEBUG

• Potty Trained
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 08:49:24 AM »

Ditto!! :thumbsup:

Cindy: Mom to Porsha, & Tyson.
          Chowder 4/2000 - 9/7/2013

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 09:08:34 AM »
I Love Rubi  :smitten:   , and Dawn you are doing a Great job with her .  Just getting her out there to see new things will help her . 
Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com

Sir Duke

• Potty Trained
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 09:14:28 AM »
It sounds to me like you are doing everything you can to help her.

You are a great Mom for Rubi !!! :smitten:

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 09:33:48 AM »
Dawn you are the best!  You know how Rubi tugs at my heart :smitten:  I am glad you guys are doing so well.   :thumbsup:  I hope you have a wonderful trip and Rubi has a great time too.
Joyce

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 09:38:09 AM »
eh, I'm nothing special. Just makin sure my girl recovers and has an easy, fulfilled life going forward. Pretty sure all of you would do the same. ;)

She made me happy this morning. She was up, runnin around and from the living room I heard "squeek, squeek, squeek." For the past 2 weeks, she's moped all morning, gone out to the front window and laid and watched the birds go by and bark at the people and dogs walking. I went out to play with her and the toy she picked up and noticed she was on her back and tore the stuffing out, just laying there with her nub wagging. A definite improvement.

Then later, dogs walked by as she was laying in the front room and she didn't make a peep. Just so happy to see her bouncing back and even some of her annoying habits going away. lol
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

Eilene

• Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 12:21:48 PM »
 :thumbsup:they def do mourn alsp..Sounds like you are doing great...If you are in the ny nj area would love to meet up with you.
Eilene
Nala, Luna
Forever in my heart Amber,Bailey,Chicklet,Tequila

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 03:53:19 PM »

Ditto!! :thumbsup:

Double ditto  :thumbsup:

Training simple things, or even just reinforcing basics really helped boost Daisy's confidence. When Little Ann passed away I had a problem with her and the other dogs.

How are you doing Dawn?
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Rubidawg

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 03:59:51 PM »
How are you doing Dawn?
I'm doing ok. Missin him like crazy, but I do think we were kinda preparing ourselves for a while for this. Not that it makes it any easier and it definitely made watching him go thru this that much harder but I think, we're at peace with it now. Just missing the little things. Him not being there when I get out of the shower or blow dry my hair (he loved having me blow the hair dryer on him). Or I used to splash water at him from the sink when I brushed my teeth at night and he'd jump up to catch the water in the air  and bark when I stopped. Definitely miss seeing his face in the window and seeing him get all excited from the street when I'd pull into the garage. Or miss him running into the bedroom when I walked thru the door and come out with my slippers in his mouth asking me to chase him around the house to play. We get ice out of the freezer and he's no longer there, sitting and drooling all over the floor. It rained really hard the other day and they were the type of raindrops that he'd love to run outside and jump in the air to catch em. Miss ALL those things and more. Miss his snuggles on the bed at night when we're watching TV or miss his pure excitement every morning when we woke up cuz he thought, "oooh, out to pee and then I get FOOD!" lol But, through the tears, there's lots of happiness in those memories, so it helps a lil bit.

The hardest will be at our club dinner in 2 weeks. Grady will get a plaque with his Beginner Novice title as well as a crate tag. I know I will completely lose it when I see his name with those letters engraved from the club. They do this every year for everyone who's earned titles. This was one of the reasons why I wanted to be sure he got his title because I want him honored at our dinner for that one special second when they read his name. Otherwise, I think I'd hurt more knowing we didn't accomplish anything in the past year of his life - despite him being sick for 6 months of it. So, that will be REALLY hard to deal with and it will also be the first time I'll see anyone from the club since his last class. I know they will be all over me, which I NEVER do well with. So, just need to get through that....if it's possible.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 04:02:33 PM by Rubidawg »
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02

Missy/Precious mom

• Most Encouraging Member - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 09:50:48 AM »
Hugs to you Dawn, I am tearing reading your post. 
Joyce

RocketBoxer

• Best All Rounder - 2009
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • (Leia)
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 03:16:19 PM »
The hardest will be at our club dinner in 2 weeks. Grady will get a plaque with his Beginner Novice title as well as a crate tag. I know I will completely lose it when I see his name with those letters engraved from the club. They do this every year for everyone who's earned titles.

:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:
Kerry
Mom to Skye, Trigger, Leia and Lizzy
www.rocketboxers.com

Gone But Not Forgotten - Shaka & Star

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

3BOXERS

• Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 08:01:43 PM »
Zoey went threw some of the same stuff when I lost Bart. Even know I still have other dogs at my house. She was very bonded to Bart.   :group: about going to the dinner.