Author Topic: Tell me what everyone thinks of my boy Rebel  (Read 9652 times)

fairview Boxers

• Socialized
  • Corky 7yrs...Grandaughter Bella 8 weeks
    • Fairview Boxers
Re: Tell me what everyone thinks of my boy Rebel
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2012, 08:25:51 AM »
I recommend finding a reputable breeder(s) relatively near you, that you can talk with frequently and get insight from.  A panel of people is even really helpful.  I only ask questions of people I trust, which isn't many people!  I have owned Boxers for 12 years, and been breeding for 8.  I am just now getting comfortable with my judgment on structure.  It takes time to learn these things!  Time and help!  Which you can find here!  The Boxer people on this board are wonderful, MANY have been through heartbreak over the loss of a beloved Boxer due to the health issues in the breed, that is why they are so passionate! 
If you truly want to breed, the best thing to do is buy the best foundation you can from health tested parents.  From a breeder that you have researched and spoke with several times, or one that was referred to you by a breeder you have a "friendship" with.  I jumped into the Boxer world of showing and breeding before I was mentally ready, and it has taken me a long time (and a lot of heartache), and starting COMPLETELY over with my breeding program to be comfortable! 
A good place to start is an All breed club local to you, and a Boxer club local to you.  Those will give you great foundations for learning! :)
Kat Medved
Aggie 7.7.2007, Ozzy 04.16.2012
At the Bridge: Corky 11.2.2002-2.2012, Cass 8.6.2005-6.2012 www.fairviewboxer.com

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2012, 12:24:05 PM »
Here's the AKC website and the breed standard. This is what breeders strive for, and have worked for such a long time to create.  It states in there that "the blunt muzzle is 1/3 the length of the head from the occiput to the tip of the nose, and 2/3rds the width of the skull. "

http://www.akc.org/breeds/boxer/

There's more on the body type, back, neck, chest, head, basically what you should be breeding towards.
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Hickoryrockkenn

• Weanling
    • Hickory Rock Kennels
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2012, 12:44:19 PM »
Thanks everyone

BranwenBoxers

• Canine Good Citizen
  • " Branwen's Eastern Sea " Millie
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2012, 05:45:45 PM »
Also here is another link that I love to study .

http://worldwideboxer.com/   

Heather
Branwen Boxers
www.BranwenBoxers.com

jinxx

• Socialized
    • JinxxBoxers
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2012, 05:50:06 PM »
hey, I was JUST going to post that link

also take a look at the Canadian standard- sometimes slightly different wording of the same thing can make for a better understanding

take your time to learn and understand
you don't have to start with the boxers you currently have
Its best to start with the absolute best you can
Jill
JinxxBoxers http://jinxx.us/

CH. Jinxx Burlesque Dancer Zorita-
Jinxx Xcitable Boy Xeno

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2012, 05:56:22 PM »
I was looking at your website, you can't read the pedigrees, at least I can't.  I don't know about others. Just curious, but do you have any American bullies? You reference several other kennels, just curious if you had one. I think they're great dogs too, you mentioned in another post you had 4 dogs.
Christina
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Hickoryrockkenn

• Weanling
    • Hickory Rock Kennels
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2012, 06:06:55 PM »
I don't have any American bullies because of that reason not wanting to rush anything I want to get the best I can. My other two dogs were rescued off a turkey farm my dad used to work on. The man had over 20 dogs there none fed properly they mainly live off the dead turkeys tossed out after they die. They are bear hounds a mix between a walker and maybe a red tick not really sure I have a video of one it's old he was just going to be a foster at the time but we love him. I know a few American bully breeders I want to get my foundation dogs from they are listed on my links. They have taken the year off so I just have to wait. Thanks for checking out my website it means a lot to me.

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2012, 06:22:02 PM »
Never heard of a bear hound, but I've got an ancient walker hound named Boomer. He was at least 10 years old 5 years ago. There's pics and video in the "other pets" section
Christina
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Hickoryrockkenn

• Weanling
    • Hickory Rock Kennels
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2012, 06:39:22 PM »
Bear hounds are just what the locals call them lol. They are just like a red tick hound. I'll take a look for the pic. Off topic question but does the akc allow white boxers being bred? I thought they could only have limited registration?

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2012, 06:57:11 PM »
No, it against the Code of Ethics for the American Boxer Club to breed whites.
http://www.americanboxerclub.org/ethics.html
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2012, 07:44:52 PM »
The AKC allows any full registration dog of any breed to be bred - they are only a registering agency, not a control of quality.  The ABC is the parent club of the Boxer breed and the ones who dictate what is ethical or not in the breed.  A person could not breed whites and be in compliance with the ABC Code of Ethics, but plenty of people who breed don't give a hoot about the ABC (or even know who they are) and use AKC "papers" as a mark of quality.
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Hickoryrockkenn

• Weanling
    • Hickory Rock Kennels
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2012, 12:48:48 PM »
I know everyone has told me that my dogs wont hold up well in the ring, but I found a show coming up in Sept in my hometown of Chesapeake Va. I have emailed them to see if I could enter it with being in a wheelchair would that be a problem. They said there would be no problem. He did however say me and my dog would have to meet some eligibility requirements anyone know what this may be? The reason I'd like to do this for one there's personal reasons being a wheelchair and handling and showing a dog not sure if its ever been done before. Also I would like to get some experience, like I've said I don't really want to stop working with dogs I want to grow wiser and have more experience. One last question to you guys being that rebels muzzle is too long should I show bella or would it not really matter cause they are both equally wrong standards lol? Thanks everyone and I know I've been just asking all sorts of questions recently and I am very thankful for everyone's comments and info. :thumbsup: ;D :yes: :beam:

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2012, 03:19:13 PM »
I am guessing the eligibility would be that the dog is AKC registered, intact, and you are in good standing w/the AKC (basically you don't owe them money or didn't get reported breaking a rule).  That is what I needed to start doing Obedience showing w/my pup, minus the intact part since they don't care about sexual status in performance events.

I think either dog would be a learning experience and since you aren't entering to win, I would take whichever dog you believe will manage better with crowds, lots of strange dogs, possible hot weather, etc.  Shows are busy places, frequently very crowded and, while they are generally in control, not all dogs there are dog-dog friendly.  

Have you ever been to a show before? If not, try to visit one before the show in September just to get a feel for what it can be like.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 03:27:15 PM by BoxerWB »
Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

jinxx

• Socialized
    • JinxxBoxers
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2012, 03:26:02 PM »
ditto Julia
I'd start to learn the process at handling classes and go dogless to the shows until you have a better understanding
Jill
JinxxBoxers http://jinxx.us/

CH. Jinxx Burlesque Dancer Zorita-
Jinxx Xcitable Boy Xeno

Hickoryrockkenn

• Weanling
    • Hickory Rock Kennels
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2012, 03:56:39 PM »
Ya exactly what I was thinking I'd do too. I got plans to attend one in Winchester va July 14th. Oh ya I've never been to a dog show so hence why I'm going to one first like you suggested. I gotta work with the dog I want to take he can be a bit jumpy at times. Like when he's sleeping and I want to get him off the chair/recliner. Also if I grab his feet he pulls em away so I just need to work with him. I'm sure most people who started training late know that if you have trained your dog basics you pull out the treat bag and it's an auto sit lol. So I've had to teach him "up" to stand on command he's doing great with that . He's just not a fan of his back legs being stretched back...yet but well get there.