Author Topic: Tell me what everyone thinks of my boy Rebel  (Read 9649 times)

Hickoryrockkenn

• Weanling
    • Hickory Rock Kennels
Tell me what everyone thinks of my boy Rebel
« on: June 04, 2012, 09:53:13 PM »
Rebel will be 3 years old in a few days. Please tell me what you think hes 72lbs (last weighted) and 26 inches tall. All input welcomed, hes not been in a show yet being in a wheelchair makes it a tad harder to show him but I still would like to. :thumbsup: Thanks.

www.hickoryrockkennels.com

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Tell me what everyone thinks of my boy Rebel
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 06:19:39 AM »
Where did you get him and Bella from?
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Hickoryrockkenn

• Weanling
    • Hickory Rock Kennels
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 06:27:40 AM »
I got rebel off a breeder in Petersburg wv and her out of northern va

BoxerPerson

• Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 07:49:54 AM »
Do the breeders have names or kennels? 

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 09:57:31 AM »
Since he is not in a stacked position it is hard to tell how his body looks .
I do think that his muzzle looks too long in the side profile shots . It is hard to tell much more about his head as the other head pictures are not straight on .
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

BoxerPerson

• Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 10:04:14 AM »
I agree with Missi...his muzzle looks way too long IMO, but it could be the pictures.  Since you do no have him in a stacked position, it is very hard to see if he is a good representation of the breed. 

Are you planning on breeding your 2 dogs?  IMO - It looks like Bella is in heat in the first picture you posted...

Hickoryrockkenn

• Weanling
    • Hickory Rock Kennels
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 10:35:01 AM »
I am working on scanning their akc pedigrees. As far as Bella yes she is in heat and I am going to be breeding her shorter muzzle to rebels longer muzzle to hopefully
even out.

Bruins_Boxer

• Officially Boxer Crazy
    • Bruins Boxers
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 10:57:45 AM »
There is a lot more to the conformation of a dog than just the pedigree .

Have you done the suggested health testing on BOTH of your dogs ?
Echo/doppler , holter monitor ,DM,  thyroid , hips ?

And just because she may have a shorter muzzle it does not mean she will pass along those traits . How many generations of the shorter muzzle is behind her ?
Missi
Edy - Bruin's Espresso by Stephlyn , CGC    5-2-2006
Remy - Bruin's One Step Closer    7-27-2010

Gone but never forgotten Mocha , Titan , Charlotte .

Hickoryrockkenn

• Weanling
    • Hickory Rock Kennels
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 11:19:38 AM »
Somebody was asking about who I got them from so I figured a pedigree would answer that but my scanner is acting up the one time I need it of course lol. As far as testing goes I have been talking things over with my vet. I hope people are not taking me as a fly by night type of guy looking to get rich off of my dogs. I have done a ton of research and reading but I have lots more to learn.

Rubidawg

• Best Story Teller - 2009
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
    • HeathDawgs
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 11:32:06 AM »
Conformation wise - they both seem to be very nice pets. And I mean that very nicely. We all have pets that do no conform to the standard as much as we'd like. My Rubi's muzzle is very long, she is tall and leggy, she has a flat front, a very weak topline, slopes at the croup, no rise of skull, lack of stop....I could go on. But, she is a very nice pet. I would not breed her.

As far as pedigree - I believe Claire was just referring to what kennel you got them from. A pedigree isn't necessary to answer that, so don't worry. Just curious if it's a kennel/breeder any of us are familiar with.

With regards to breeding - there are a lot of red flags here. If you have done the research, you would be familiar with the Code of Ethics by the American Boxer Club. A vet saying your pet is healthy, does not mean it abides by the code of ethics, which was put forth to better the breed and ensure that the boxers of the future have less chance of the health risks out there, as well as keeping with the standard we all love about our boxers. Before breeding, I'd recommend taking a look: http://americanboxerclub.org/ethics.html

Also, take a look at the health risks in that same link on the left. That will give you some insight on why we encourage breeding to better the breed by health testing, as well as making sure the breeding stock is of conformation standard and temperment.

While your two are very adorable boxers, I would not breed them. I'm trying to put this as  nicely as possible, so hopefully it comes across the way I intend it to. Our boxers face so many health risks and we are ending up with boxers that do not look like boxers. My Rubi came from parents that looked very much like you're two. What I got was what many people claim to be a boxer mix, and she has had a rough start with health issues. So, please familiarize yourself with the ABC and it's Code of Ethics, see the research done behind the health risks our breed faces, see the thought and process that goes into the breeders who take the time to show their dogs, have them professionally evaluated, know and understand their faults and what they mean, then they take the steps to ensure the proper testing is done prior to finding a stud/bitch to mate with. I always say that I would never be a breeder, I'd leave it to the professionals, as there is so much involved with making sure we keep the true nature our breed is intended to be. The backyard breeders out there are taking away from the hard work these breeders put into planning their breeding program and most importantly - to better the breed.

Welcome to BC!  I hope you take the time to read through some of the forums and see just how important this is to us. Also, I'm sure a moderator or admin will also ask that you be sure to read and understand the policy regarding breeders on the forum.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:34:16 AM by Rubidawg »
Dawn
Rubi, CGC - 2.16.05
Bauer - Rocket's Kindred Spirit RN CGC - 4.16.12
Ms. Kitty - 3.15.02
Forever In My Heart: Grady, Branwen's Northern Sky BN RA CGC - 12.22.07 - 5.25.12

whitepupzoe

• Most Supportive & Friendliest Member - 2008
  • Global Moderator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 11:36:57 AM »
Very well said Dawn.  :thumbsup:
Kristin ~ Mom to Abby & George

Always In My Heart ~ Angels Zoe & Ariel

BoxerPerson

• Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 11:45:59 AM »
Ditto Dawn.  I have 3 "wonderfully" bred rescues (but all terribly loved and spoiled), all with their "pedigrees and papers...and not one is worthy of breeding, let alone putting into a conformation ring.

If you are planning on breeding your two without doing the health testing (thyroid, heart, DM to name a few) then you are no better than a backyard breeder. I don't want to offend you or scare you from this site, because there is so much you can learn from the people here. I am so passionate about this because I have been rescuing this breed since 1984, but have had them since the early 60's.  I have had some gorgeous pups and some that look very much like the 2 you have.  I love this breed.  But mine all were bred like you plan on doing and all of them found their way to me, because of a variety of reasons.  Either they were tossed, going to be tossed or at a pound.  PLEASE do your research on health testing and do not breed these 2.

DoubleTrouble

• Retired Member
  • Canine Good Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 02:12:12 PM »
They are cuties for sure and I see that you know you won't get "rich" from breeding them so do you mind if I ask why you are breeding them? Since Bella is in heat now are you breeding them in this season? And what will happen with the puppies that are produced?
Deb, Jaimee and Joker
Volunteer for Four Seasons
I lost my mind while working rescue
but found my soul.

BoxerWB

• Administrator
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 03:03:50 PM »
With your dogs both being pretty young, I would suggest looking at the resources that people have offered and learning as much as you can.  If you still want to breed them after you've learned about the genetic health issues, pedigree research, etc - you'll still have time.  But chances are that once you've learned more about the breed standard and health testing, you'll want to wait until you have better examples of the breed.  Keep in mind that breeding bad to better doesn't make better - it makes mediocre.  Since breeding should be done to better the breed, you want to start with the best you are able and work up.

Many of us have started with Boxers that were very good pets but not at all appropriate for breeding.  Even my new baby, Delta, is not going to be bred despite being from very good lines with health testing and longevity behind them.  She's got a great temperament, but some of her siblings had the temperament and were a better example of their parent's conformation strengths.

Julia
Delta 03/12
Dash 07/06
Shady 07/05
In my heart: Xena 03/10/03 - 02/16/12

Hickoryrockkenn

• Weanling
    • Hickory Rock Kennels
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 01:30:03 PM »
Let me first start off by saying WOW im a bit overwhelmed. Secondly let me say I understand very much so that we do not need more dogs in our shelters. I have a love and passion for all dogs and keeping dogs out of the pound and promoting the release from dog jail is something I will always do. As far as testing goes I never said I wont be testing my dogs I was saying I talked over the tests I wanted to do with my vet. She told me she couldnt certify their hips but could check for hip dysplasia. I must say I do respect each and everyone of you because it is all about the dogs and whats best for them. I did state that bella was in heat but does not mean I was going to breed her this heat. All of the pics I have shown are a bit old as I have lost my battery charger for my camera. As for my plans I am sure everyone will have a problem with me saying this but I really like what the dogs looked like in the early 1900s. Just as you have stated though when you breed isnt it a crap shoot on what you will get. Just because you breed the top dogs doesnt mean you will get a champion dog. Im sure thats stepping out of line by saying that but the amount I have been around champion breeders  thats what I gather. That doesnt mean I feel you can just breed anything to anything no but there are things I do see in each one of my dogs that I like. Here is a picture of what I think looks attractive to me. Which for all I know could be impossible to try to get back there. Thanks everyone for all the input and thanks for not scaring me off..... completely lol.