Author Topic: Increasing dominance behavior and prey drive  (Read 1854 times)

Christina

• Socialized
Increasing dominance behavior and prey drive
« on: May 02, 2012, 04:07:30 PM »
I know Star saw the kitten yesterday as a squeaky toy and it got out of hand, he didn't know any better, but he has become more and more aggressive towards small creatures.  He used to live with cats and did just fine, didn't bother them.  The last year has been an entirely different story.  He killed a stray cat this summer with Penelope outside, no mutilation to the body, just attacked until it stopped moving and then left it. Same with the kitten last yesterday.  He continuously tries to kill the neighbors cat, he has started chasing the other neighbors chihuahua, he chases birds and squirrels.  This is all new behavior. 

In the last 6 months or so he has also started becoming more territorial and aggressive as well.  He has started marking his territory, urinating over other dogs, kicking his feet after pooping, hiking his leg (he used to fall over or never hike it all all, maybe once in a blue moon.  He also charges out of the house barking ferociously and "patrols" the yard barking.  If he were younger or intact, I wouldn't be questioning this as much, but he's a 5 yr old castrated boy.  He was castrated at 6 months old, I hated to do it so young, but he was being a jerk then, trying to dominate all the dogs in the house.  After he was neutered, it stopped completely until now. 

What can I do to try to restore peace in the house?  I do make him sit and wait before going outside. He's also being extremely disobedient. 
Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
Re: Increasing dominance behavior and prey drive
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 05:13:35 PM »
Wow, I have no suggestions since I don't have this problem, or at least I don't think I do. Goofy :angel: used to kill bunnies that came in the yard, but never tried to kill a cat.
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

BosleysMom

• Weanling
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 11:24:04 AM »
Do you think there could be something medical that could be causing this behaviour? Maybe a quick trip to vet to rula anything like out... Not sure, but definetely some cause for concern.
Bosley'sMom :)

WildBeanerz

• Canine Good Citizen
  • Macie
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 11:46:27 AM »
I think maybe a trip to the vet is in order. I think though that he already goes quite often for other stuff too. Or is that Lucky? Sorry I get them mixed up.

April - mom of
Bones RIP big guy 11.04.10 :angel:
Macie 8 yrs brindle female
Chloe 11.19.09 fawn female
Love my rescue

Christina

• Socialized
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 03:18:54 PM »
Or is that Lucky? Sorry I get them mixed up.

It's ok, everyone does  ;) Star's the obnoxious 5 yr old ortho nightmare sh*& head, Lucky's the sweet 8 yr old boy that has had MCT's removed and is an allergy nightmare. 

Do you think there could be something medical that could be causing this behaviour? Maybe a quick trip to vet to rula anything like out... Not sure, but definetely some cause for concern.

I have a call in to my vet, he'll call me back sometime this afternoon or evening, depending on how busy they are.  It could be thyroid, his dam is hypothyroid, so it's not a far stretch.  It could also be something else, so I would like to talk to him and see what he thinks. 

Christina
Little Ann 2/14/96-4/6/10
Boomer 1996- 4/25/14
Lucky 4/24/04-8/27/14

Hickoryrockkenn

• Weanling
    • Hickory Rock Kennels
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 02:29:21 PM »
How does he act when he sees a cat like if he sees one through the window does he get super excited tail up? Or does he get really quiet silent? Another thing is does he only get excited when they move? I have 4 dogs and they all live with a bunch of indoor cats and the neighbor here had a huge colony of outdoor strays which we've slowly been trying to get them all fixed.