Author Topic: For the Love of Doggie Heaven Kalani STOP!  (Read 1211 times)

Miguel

• Funniest Member - 2008
  • Socialized
  • I'll Woo Woo You!
For the Love of Doggie Heaven Kalani STOP!
« on: May 15, 2007, 08:25:38 PM »
Kalani has been with Mari and I for about 3 weeks now, she was adopted from a shelter that seemed to clean up after her very little and from her actions, Kalani seems to have been a stray before. So.....

Mari asked me to post about Kalani's DAILY accidents inside the house. We clean up all her messes with Nature's Miracle....but she seems to go to the same spot. She has also had accidents in her crate. Once again, this is a  DAILY issue.

What do you guys think we should do for a 1 year old stray?

I easily see the areas where Mari and I can work on (which I will bring it up to Mari's attention again).

We seem to be on two very different tracks and think differently for Kalani's training. I know Mari's word is the law because Kalani is her dog, but I spend more time with the dogs in general and feel like I should be heard a bit more.

Arrgghhh!! This is irritating. So I need some advice from all of you...I have a plan already but I can't act on it until I get the "ok" from Mari, which is difficult.  :wall:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 08:29:48 PM by Miguel »
:hat::guitarist::jester::mickey::smart: Pepino's :cheeky::sombrero::afro::hat2::gag: Rockin' :clown::toff::sunny::straitjacket::mad: Daddy :devilish::antlers::cloud9::party3::drummer:

Christen83

• Socialized
Re: For the Love of Doggie Heaven Kalani STOP!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 08:47:20 AM »
What's your plan so we can shoot holes in it?  :laugh4:

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 08:59:40 AM »
You need to train her just as if she were an 8 week old puppy, but with a bigger bladder.
Amber

BoxerPerson

• Best Signature Quote - 2008; Most Addicted Member - 2009
  • Retired Member
  • Officially Boxer Crazy
  • Hey, anybody in there?
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 09:11:57 AM »
Exactly...treat her like a pup.
When we adopted Goofy, he would always sneak into the basement and mess, pee and poo.  And if he came down to the family room which also is on the lower level, he would mess there too and he wouldn't care if you saw him.  Anyway, I finally received his shot records and the papers the vet had on him....he was always stuck in the basement!  I think he figures this is where he was spose to go!  So I bought  baby gate and put acroos the doorway, and he has NEVER again messed in the house...that was a bit over 4 years! 

Good luck.

BTW  what was your plan???
Claire-Mom to Ollie, Zoe, Phoebe, Willie & Snookie

Goofy-Hailey-Nikki-Casey-Tyler-Cynder-Lilli-Daisy-Winnie-Felix-Levi-Ellie-&

Miguel

• Funniest Member - 2008
  • Socialized
  • I'll Woo Woo You!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 01:29:34 PM »
Well my plan is mostly made up from what Mari and I got from you all when Pepino was just a puppy.

I decided, and Mari agreed, to limit Kalani's living area to just the living room (where both of us spend our time with the dogs). I thought the Living room was a good idea because she has not seen it as a poitty area, unlike the doggie living room (where we have their crates).

When she is in the living room, I will have Kalani's leash around my neck, treats in my hand and a bag in the other. This way if I notice her sniffing around I will show her that by touching the door (like Pepino) she will be able to go out to potty. This will also allow me to stop her in the act and take her directly outside (so she puts 2 and 2 together).

After eating and drinking it is out the door for both.

I reward and praise her when she goes outside. I also make sure to add a "go potty" before hand.

I want to bring in the bell again...maybe it will do a better impact on her.

Other than that...I am like a HAWK when it comes to Kalani.
:hat::guitarist::jester::mickey::smart: Pepino's :cheeky::sombrero::afro::hat2::gag: Rockin' :clown::toff::sunny::straitjacket::mad: Daddy :devilish::antlers::cloud9::party3::drummer:

Bers

• Most Underrated Member - 2009
  • Administrator
  • Canine Good Citizen
  • DEADHEAD
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 01:32:53 PM »
It sounds like a very good plan. Limit her access to a small area of the house and watch her constantly. Prevent accidents as much as possible, interrupt those that do happen, and always reward strongly for going in the right place.
Amber